PDA

View Full Version : Glock vs. M&P....Not the usual debate

OhioFinance
06-15-10, 18:55
Let me start by saying I was a die hard Glock fan, or at least as far as polymer goes. Then I bought an M&P 9c. My question is this, is the Glock faster to draw from concealment? It seems to me that my 26 or 19 is slightly quicker to present than the 9c or 45c. What are the real world split times for those that have compared both? For what its worth, I enjoy shooting and shoot the M&P line better, just curious if the seemingly more streamlined Glock is quicker.

JHC
06-15-10, 19:09
I really love my Pro 9 but my Glock 9's of all sizes point truer faster in my hand. That "2x4" grip orients faster in my hands in my experience. The Pro 9 "feels" very good in the hand. I have identical holsters for the Pro 9 and G17 and I don't see any difference in the draw per se.

The superior for speed target shooting trigger of the Pro 9 makes for better match scores in my experience with 2K through the Pro 9.
But I chose to carry a Glock 9mm.
FWIW.

Alien
06-15-10, 19:13
I don't understand how there could possibly be much if any difference whatsoever given similar positioning on your body and similar holsters.

ROCKET20_GINSU
06-15-10, 19:40
Perhaps more muscle memory? as he has done more presentations with glocks? I can close my eyes, present my pistol, and have the sights roughly aligned with all my Glock 9mm's. If I tried this w/o any adjustment period w/ a 1911 the sights are always way low due to different grip angles.

With the holster tension, holster position, holster material being the same I don't think there would be a difference in draw time given equally skilled shooters.

GU

Gutshot John
06-15-10, 20:06
Such a comparison is purely subjective. You'll be faster with whichever one you practice with the most.

Even still any difference will be entirely marginal.

For myself I was a Glock guy until I found the M&P to be more pointable FOR ME but I'd bet a lot of people disagree.

OhioFinance
06-15-10, 20:06
That is my point, I don't know if there is a difference. Just wondered if anyone else thought that the Glock felt or was in fact timed out faster. I mean in the summer the usual method is belly band for me and the G26 seems to clear faster and smoother than the 9c. From kydex as well just "seems" faster. Didn't know if anyone had splits to verify.

Gutshot John
06-15-10, 21:33
That is my point, I don't know if there is a difference. Just wondered if anyone else thought that the Glock felt or was in fact timed out faster. I mean in the summer the usual method is belly band for me and the G26 seems to clear faster and smoother than the 9c. From kydex as well just "seems" faster. Didn't know if anyone had splits to verify.

:confused: I'm not sure what splits would prove or what you're asking.

This is what subjective means: If it's faster for you and someone else is faster with the M&P what exactly is proven?

Joeywhat
06-15-10, 21:36
I'm faster with my G17/19 hybrid then my fullsize M&P. Mostly because the grip is just a tad longer with the M&P and it takes a bit more to get my shirt out of the way.

Otherwise I'm pretty quick with it. If I wear a shorter shirt it really isn't a problem and I can draw both pretty quick.

Gutshot John
06-15-10, 21:46
I'm faster with my G17/19 hybrid then my fullsize M&P.

Have you actually timed yourself? or do you just "feel" like you're faster?

Joeywhat
06-15-10, 21:59
No times.

It's pretty obvious when your shirt gets stuck between your hand and the gun, and you have to pull it out before firing. Just doesn't happen with my Glock unless I really nerf the draw.

Gutshot John
06-15-10, 22:01
No times.

It's pretty obvious when your shirt gets stuck between your hand and the gun, and you have to pull it out before firing. Just doesn't happen with my Glock unless I really nerf the draw.

That's a technique issue. If it hasn't happened with the Glock it will.

There is no reason one handgun should clear your shirt better than the other.

Joeywhat
06-15-10, 22:09
OK so in theory I should be able to throw a 33 round mag in the Glock, cover it with my shirt and have no problems drawing?

Don't know what else to tell you. The ass end of the M&P grip gets caught on the shirt sometimes. Rarely happens with the Glock. I do thousands of draws with each, too. Not just at the range, at home.

Like I said before, I have to really hike up the shirt with the M&P, and pull far enough back on the shirt to make it clear the grip.

Gutshot John
06-15-10, 22:17
OK so in theory I should be able to throw a 33 round mag in the Glock, cover it with my shirt and have no problems drawing?

That's something of a straw man...who said anything about a 33 round mag? It's certainly not for concealed carry. You're certainly going to have problems if you're not used to it and haven't practiced with it.

Don't know what else to tell you. The ass end of the M&P grip gets caught on the shirt sometimes. Rarely happens with the Glock. I do thousands of draws with each, too. Not just at the range, at home.

Like I said before, I have to really hike up the shirt with the M&P, and pull far enough back on the shirt to make it clear the grip.

I'm having trouble visualizing how this happens short of shooter error.

I shoot both and have never noticed any such thing or rather it can happen with ANY handgun if I don't execute properly. No handgun is a "shirt magnet."

I'd suggest spending more time practicing your draw from concealment. Have you taken any handgun training?

DocGKR
06-16-10, 01:37
I’ve recently had several opportunities to shoot full size Glocks and M&P’s back to back. Below are my subjective opinions:

While the 9 mm M&P’s shoot well, I give the edge to both the 3rd and 4th gen 9mm Glocks, particularly the 3rd gen G17 for world wide parts availability, as well as well proven reliability and durability.

The M&P40 is the definitely the top choice for me; it is more controllable and comfortable to shoot than both the 3rd and 4th gen G22’s.

The G21sf recoils a bit flatter than the M&P45, however, the M&P45 has better ergonomics, especially for 1911 shooters--pretty much a toss up for me when shooting them.

Magic_Salad0892
06-16-10, 03:19
I'm faster with my Glock 17, out of a IWB holster, than my uncle is with his M&P.

It might be thing of age though. I'm 23 he's 51. He's a bit slower. Still fast though.

Joeywhat
06-16-10, 04:49
That's something of a straw man...who said anything about a 33 round mag? It's certainly not for concealed carry. You're certainly going to have problems if you're not used to it and haven't practiced with it.

I'm having trouble visualizing how this happens short of shooter error.

I shoot both and have never noticed any such thing or rather it can happen with ANY handgun if I don't execute properly. No handgun is a "shirt magnet."

I'd suggest spending more time practicing your draw from concealment. Have you taken any handgun training?

The point I'm making is that with the clothes I wear, the M&P is a more difficult draw. Is it a training issue? Sure...but at the end of the day I can pull the Glock out of the holster much faster then the M&P. Like I said earlier, I don't need to move my shirt nearly as much with the Glock. It's a simple concept - shirt having to move farther up and back = slower draw times. If I try and draw it exactly like I do my Glock I'll get a handful of shirt in the grip...not good. Just like how a 33 round mag in a Glock causes draw issues because it's longer, the M&P causes draw issues for me....because it's longer. Yes I can draw the M&P just fine without grabbing my shirt...and I can repeat it. But it takes longer for me. I'm sure some people can do it as fast or faster then with a Glock...those people aren't me.

As for training...I've taken a class or three. Not exactly new to drawing my handgun...I said it before, I've done a few thousand draws with each this year alone.

And as for no handguns being a 'shirt magnet', you haven't tried enough shirts then, especially against stippled frames. I have one shirt that just can NOT be used for concealed use. It literally sticks like a magnet (or like it has a lot of static...) to my gun. Just the type of material used and how it reacts with the gun. It's nearly impossible to draw the gun with this shirt on, hence why it doesn't get worn much.

Magic_Salad0892
06-16-10, 05:18
My Uncle had that problem with a USP. That's why he uses an M&P in a shoulder holster under a jacket.

(BTW: When I was comparing draw times, they were both in IWB holsters.)

Gutshot John
06-16-10, 06:50
I've done a few thousand draws with each this year alone.

The issue is that you're conflating "faster" with not getting your shirt stuck on the grip. This isn't what the OP is asking and for his purposes your subjective answer is only worthwhile if you eliminate the shirt as a variable. Anyone, anytime can "nerf" a draw with your cover garment. No one mentioned stippled frames until you did so I don't think that's the issue here that said I use several stippled frame guns never been a problem so long as I clear my cover garment properly. Again that's a user error not a gun error.

Simply put it sounds like you practice with the Glock more, and so you're better with the Glock. No surprise there. You know where the grip is and can acquire it quickly. With the M&P you're having to search for it.

A few thousand draws employing a flawed technique will only make your problems worse. I asked about classes simply because it helps to have someone (who knows what they're doing - not all "instructors" do) observe you and can troubleshoot any problems you're having.

To the OP the Glock and M&P are both fine handguns. Pick the one you SHOOT better and stick with it. Any difference between the two draws is so minute that it is the last criteria I'd consider and will disappear with practice.