PDA

View Full Version : New takedown detent pin: Which brand?

The_Dude
06-15-10, 19:13
I seemed to have permanently misplaced my rear takedown detent pin. I've found a couple of replacements on Brownells. Has anyone ordered these before and have a preference? Which brand is gonna be better?

Riley~~~

Buck
06-15-10, 19:16
The Brownells generic works fine...

B

The_Dude
06-15-10, 19:30
I'm lookin at this thing here...
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=45760/pid=17158/sku/_250__P_B_Pivot_Pin
I don't see how this thing will stay attached to the lower without a detent pin?

Riley~~~

DaBears_85
06-16-10, 02:45
It looks like it acts as a QD sling swivel would. Pushing the button retracts the ball bearings on the other end abling you to withdraw the pin.

http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/t_923000039_1.jpg

So with the ball bearings extended I'm assuming it applies enough pressure to hold the pin in place?

After thought: If you're willing to wait the time it takes to order and receive another takedown pin, why not just get another spring detent instead? You can get them off Brownells.

mpom
06-16-10, 15:29
I believe the KNS .25" pin is for the FRONT pivot, not the rear take down.
Take a look at a parts diagram and you will see the right part.

Mark

DaBears_85
06-16-10, 17:30
I believe the KNS .25" pin is for the FRONT pivot, not the rear take down.
Take a look at a parts diagram and you will see the right part.

Mark

It depends on the diameter of the takedown pin on his weapon.

They make a .250" and a .315" depending on which size takedown pin a particular rifle utilizes.

The_Dude
06-16-10, 17:32
It depends on the diameter of the takedown pin on his weapon.

They make a .250" and a .315" depending on which size takedown pin a particular rifle utilizes.

Supposedly the .315" is for the Colt Sporter. The .250" fits all other rifles.

Riley~~~

andy t
06-16-10, 20:55
I would recommend against this one. I bought one for use as a pivot pin in a pre ban Colt lower and it's a PITA to remove. They advertise it as "tool less" but I had to use pliers to help me pull the damn thing while pressing the small button. If possible just buy the standard takedown pin/detent and install them. For rear it should be a piece of cake (provide the castle nut is easy to remove). You could also try the following (made by DPMS, but it seems to work) :
Push pin (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=24947/Product/Colt_Push_Pin)

I'm lookin at this thing here...
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=45760/pid=17158/sku/_250__P_B_Pivot_Pin
I don't see how this thing will stay attached to the lower without a detent pin?

Riley~~~

DaBears_85
06-16-10, 22:03
I would recommend against this one. I bought one for use as a pivot pin in a pre ban Colt lower and it's a PITA to remove. They advertise it as "tool less" but I had to use pliers to help me pull the damn thing while pressing the small button.

Yeah I figured it might be difficult to remove. You have to push down on it to retract the bearings which seems like it would make pulling it out difficult without the aid of flathead screwdriver or at the very least, two hands. Didn't want to say that though without ever actually having held one. QD sling swivels operate the same way and alot of them can be difficult to remove. That's a good thing in a sling swivel however. In a takedown pin, not so much.

mpom
06-17-10, 10:03
I use the kns .315 in a colt hbar, much easier to remove compared to factory 2 piece, which requires a screwdriver. To remove kns, I push in button which retracts detent balls, and then use a finger from other hand to push out pin, while continuing to push button in. Once pin moves about .5" to right, release button and pull pin out by pulling big flange. Works well for me. Did not like dpms as my specimen was undersized.

Mark

Heavy Metal
06-17-10, 10:34
He is asking about the capture detent, not the pin.

mpom
06-17-10, 13:42
Good bet is to call GRTactical and buy from Grant. Price is probably better than Brownell's, and quality is good.
The link by the OP to the front pivot pin led me on a tangent.

Mark

DaBears_85
06-17-10, 13:47
He is asking about the capture detent, not the pin.

That's what I was trying to allude to. If you're willing to wait for the time it takes to get the KNS pin, why not just order another spring detent?

mpom
06-17-10, 18:43
I think the detent pin is the same for the front and rear takedown pins, although the take down pins are not interchangeable. Not sure why the front pin was brought into the discussion, as the first post referenced the rear pin.
Now we are talking about the spring detent. If this refers to the buffer/recoil spring, we are really going off track.

Mark

The_Dude
06-17-10, 22:40
Yes, the spring detent was the original topic (and you better stay on track or a mod will close this thread/and/or change the title of it again). With the KNS pins it appears that you still need a detent pin I think.

Riley~~~

99HMC4
06-17-10, 22:46
he last one I saw just came right out of the receiver when pulled. There was no groove for the spring detent to hold it in. I would just stay with a normal pin or maybe the YHM pin if anyithing....