PDA

View Full Version : 1995 MRE review

perna
06-16-10, 06:15
I am just posting this in case anyone as old MREs stored for emergencies.

I must say I have never eaten an MRE before so I have no clue what a new one tastes like, so this might not be worth anything.

Meal: escalloped potatoes and ham.
-The heater did not work at all, did not even get warm.
-Comes with a cheese packet, like processed cheese spread-was half fake cheese color and half brown. I did taste it and it did taste like processed cheese but the brown color and grainy texture made me not eat it.
-escalloped potatoes and ham. Since the heater did not work I ate it room temp. Really wasnt bad, was like corned beef hash with extra potatoes.
-Apple sauce- was pretty brown, I thought it had Cinnamon in it but no, it was just brown. Tasted like applesauce I guess.
-Brownie- tasted ok, really dry and I was not going to make the hot coco drink I had too just to get the brownie down.
-hot coco- same as fresh powdered hot coco
-packet of condiments- I did not open it but everything look ok, except for the tobasco sauce which is VERY brown.

As long as I dont die, it was edible and tasted ok.

ForTehNguyen
06-16-10, 09:36
yea the main thing you have to worry about is the dairy stuff for old MREs. The food probably lost some nutritional value, but I guess in a pinch its still good.

MREs have advanced a bit since 1995 too. Newer ones should be a lot better.

et2041
07-18-10, 12:42
yea the main thing you have to worry about is the dairy stuff for old MREs. The food probably lost some nutritional value, but I guess in a pinch its still good.

MREs have advanced a bit since 1995 too. Newer ones should be a lot better.

A lot better in taste or storage ability? I haven't had one since 1990.

ForTehNguyen
07-18-10, 13:32
taste and variety, wouldnt expect the storageability to change a whole lot. Anyone correct me if im wrong

ICANHITHIMMAN
07-18-10, 13:42
The cheese separates it happens even on the new ones yiu have to kneed the packets. I think the shelf life is only 10 years you do the math 1995

perna
07-19-10, 01:28
This was more just to answer the question of "should I throw out my old MREs?". I was just going through my disaster supplies and realized how old they were and wasnt sure if I should toss that case or not. While they are not something I would take camping as my only food, or even disaster food I would count on, but I dont see a reason to toss them.

Instead of going by a 10 year life expectancy of them I will go with 15 years. After that they become spare dog food, or worst case scenario food.

bkb0000
07-19-10, 01:34
last year i tossed a case of 10 year old MREs... even if they wont kill you, they get nappy after about 7 years.

storage temp affects shelf life. as i recall, they're good for 7 if kept at room temp or above, and up to 12 if kept under XX temperature. dont remember what temp, but it's colder than my garage maintains.

tracker722
07-19-10, 20:06

motorwerks
07-28-10, 13:45
I rotate through my stash every couple of years. Its easy enough, I have enough friends that have never eaten one that Ill simply ask once in a while. "hey ever eaten an MRE" if they say whats that Ill explain it and offer them one. Keeps them fresh (as an MRE can be). Also kids LOVE them, but be careful because they will raid the stash when you aren't looking and offer them to all of their friends when they play war.

Also if you find any Chili Mac....... PM me ill buy them. I miss those bastards they were my favorite.

bkb0000
07-29-10, 01:07
hades yea, chilimac was everybody's fav

motorwerks
07-29-10, 01:15
LOL I found this this afternoon while looking for more chilimac....

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0IBP/is_2_49/ai_n13794852/

MRE #19, Beef Roast with Vegetables

10 The real beef in this meal startled the entire staff. After tasting other meat meals, they'd grown accustomed to spongy substitutes. "It's a Midwestern delight--in a bag," was one comment. The potatoes, however, were a different story. Very pasty, they tasted like they came straight from a can. "But the thrill of real beef overcame that shortcoming."

MRE #2, Pork Rib with New England Style Clam Chowder

9 The pork rib was so good and realistic, one taster said, "I swear I could taste bone marrow." And the thick and creamy clam chowder looked and tasted like it was shipped from Boston. The consensus: "The clam chowder is very tasty. But you need to warm it to really enjoy it."

MRE #12, Veggie Burger with Barbecue Sauce

8 Surprisingly yummy. Hands down the most unexpected entree in the batch. The staff approached the veggie burger like Bambi at a rifle range convention, timidly. But a taster said, "It tastes more like meat than the beef-type entrees. It has surprisingly good flavor. Definitely a meal I'd eat again." Everyone agreed. If only all vegetarian cuisine was this good.

MRE #13, Cheese Tortellini

7 Tops the list for the Italian fare. "Smells great and is very tomatoey. It looks good, too--like a normal dish. It's creamy, a good meal, overall."

MRE #15, Beef Enchiladas with Picante Sauce

6 The best of the south-of-the-border entrees. "It has a spicy-Mexicany taste worth trading for. The picante sauce has kick and mixes well with the enchilada."

MRE #10, Chili Mac

5 Get what you pay for in this meal. No false advertising here. "Just what I expected--a good-tasting chili mac. An American classic--dig in!"

MRE #3, Beef Ravioli

4 Another Italian meal in the "it's-hard-to-mess-this-up" category. "Not a bad deal. It tastes better than Chef Boy-R-Dee. And it looks good--always a plus."

MRE #21, Chicken Tetrazzini

3 "Looks like a school lunch." Although the staff agreed it tasted yummy, the texture was a bit disturbing. "Sticks to teeth and gums a bit, but it's really good.

MRE #16, Chicken with Noodles

2 An old reliable and close kissing cousin to chicken tetrazzini--and with the same disturbing problem. The taste was great, "but the consistency was kind of weird. It stuck together like cow saliva [Napoleon's grenadiers would have loved that]. But looks were deceiving."

MRE #8, Beef Patty with Mexican Mac & Cheese

1 The mac and cheese side dish kept this entree from falling off the list. The beef patty was unreal--as in not real. "It was kind of like a 'Mexican Sponge Bob.'"

Best of the Worst

MeanRider
07-29-10, 09:24
Chili Mac comes with jalopino cheese now for more goodnes.
But these cases state a 3 year life span, some of the meals I have some cases of 5 years or better, and some of the meals I cracked into are so so.

Failure2Stop
07-30-10, 08:48
Meal: escalloped potatoes and ham.
-The heater did not work at all, did not even get warm.
-Comes with a cheese packet, like processed cheese spread-was half fake cheese color and half brown. I did taste it and it did taste like processed cheese but the brown color and grainy texture made me not eat it.
-escalloped potatoes and ham. Since the heater did not work I ate it room temp. Really wasnt bad, was like corned beef hash with extra potatoes.
-Apple sauce- was pretty brown, I thought it had Cinnamon in it but no, it was just brown. Tasted like applesauce I guess.
-Brownie- tasted ok, really dry and I was not going to make the hot coco drink I had too just to get the brownie down.
-hot coco- same as fresh powdered hot coco
-packet of condiments- I did not open it but everything look ok, except for the tobasco sauce which is VERY brown.

If it makes you feel any better, they were about the same when new.