PDA

View Full Version : Any regrets after stippling glock?

scubadds
06-16-10, 08:23
I am considering stippling, but haven't done anything so "permanent" to a frame before.
Any downsides to stippling (assuming its done right)?
Does it kill resale value?

Anyone stipple their glock and regret it?
Thanks
(converting from 1911 to glock thus the basic glock question)

Byron
06-16-10, 08:33
Yes.

I regret that I didn't do it sooner ;)

DocGKR
06-16-10, 08:41
Bingo!

I went manic the other night and stippled a dozen M&P's and Glocks--they are so much more "shootable" that the only regret is not doing them sooner...

scubadds
06-16-10, 08:49
I guess I need to get on it, I put the sandpaper tape stuff on last week and I am going to try it out out lunch today.

I have a gen4 and shooting without any tape of stippling it felt pretty slippery in the a/c range. Can't image getting hot or wet.
Coming from a Springfield Pro with some aggresive checkering, so I will plan on stippling.
You guys just do it yourself with a tad bit of practice?
I was at Tigerswan a few weeks back and notice a mix of stippled and stock....

ccoker
06-16-10, 09:01
just one word of caution, I did my M&P9c a few months ago with a soldering iron, it looked great but the grip was like 80g sandpaper on my skin when carrying IWB, I had to hit it with some sandpaper to make it less aggressive...

SHIVAN
06-16-10, 09:15
I need to do something to my Gen3 G17, but would like to try whatever the best "grip tape" is first and then consider a professional stipling job.

Anyone have a cross suggestion for grip tape "kits"?

Gutshot John
06-16-10, 09:34
I'd agree with ccoker.

Sometimes stippling can be a bit too aggressive but you can always soften it up.

scubadds
06-16-10, 09:36
I bought the sandpaper version of decal grip for the g17
It didn't specify gen 4, but it seemed to fit fine. Used a little of the spare to add to some random spots I wanted more grip.
I will shoot it in an hour and see how it feels

Gutshot John
06-16-10, 09:37
I need to do something to my Gen3 G17, but would like to try whatever the best "grip tape" is first and then consider a professional stipling job.

The only "tape" (for lack of a better word) I've liked on a Glock has been the "A-Grip." Even still I ditched it in favor of stippling.

Skate-board type tape never seems to stay stuck and will scratch the hell out of you unless you're wearing an undergarment.

awm14hp
06-16-10, 13:25
I did the skate board tape first but as others have said it comes of then I stippled two and liked them at start but with enough use the stipple will wear down also. Then I started and still use the 3m floor tape from Home Depot it comes in box for like 12 bucks I love that and wish I had not stippled the two and just used this I have had one gun with it on for year and half now still works great doesnt slip like the board tape would.

skyugo
06-16-10, 13:55
personally i don't find the glock to be slippery in its stock form. my hands barely sweat though... so :confused:

Joeywhat
06-16-10, 14:04
Nope, don't regret doing mine. Love it.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j151/joeywhat/Guns/IMG_6405.jpg

ROCKET20_GINSU
06-16-10, 14:17
+1 for trugrip for grip tape. I've been running it on my game gun for a couple of years now with excellent results.

GU

westcoastfrog
06-16-10, 14:21
tried the grip tape and it always tended to start to slide off after a while. had a stippling job done by a buddy and have no regrets at all. besides, it's a glock...if i really get a hair up my ass i'll just buy a new one...not like it has any real resale value anyway after 30k rounds.

devilsdeeds
06-16-10, 14:39

Nice slide, where did you get that?

Joeywhat
06-16-10, 14:39
A local machine shop is doing it. I'll have to find his info.

Chadzillaa
06-16-10, 17:01
Do it...asap. It's really easy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-JQXnox4Yw

Dunderway
06-16-10, 20:20
I did mine a couple of weeks ago, and I can't imagine not having it done now.

However, I am very happy that I practiced on base-plates first. Straight stippling (bunch of close knit holes) was too course for me. I ended up doing mine Bowie style (tree bark?) and it is the most comfortable pistol I have ever fired.

Now I get to focus on my target and trigger manipulation instead of thinking about my grip.

SpookyPistolero
06-16-10, 20:42

Drop me a note if you want to try some skateboard tape, it's what I use.

SpookyPistolero
06-16-10, 21:03

How'd you get the trigger guard 'raised' a bit at the first finger? Or at least thinned. I was thinking of doing that to mine. Either way, handsome mods!

Dunderway
06-16-10, 21:06
I did mine with a file, then gradually smaller grit sand paper.