PDA

View Full Version : Stainless Steel Barrels - Muzzle Device Switch?

Northern Woods
06-16-10, 14:35
I plan to purchase a Noveske rifle (for use in New York State) that will likely have a permanently attached thread protector (pinned and welded).

If, in the future, I decide to have another kind of muzzle device permanently attached (such as the PWS FSC30 or perhaps the new BattleComp) is there going to be any complication in having a qualified gunsmith remove the pinned and welded thread protector and replace it with another device - given that it is a stainless steel barrel? I know very little about metallurgy or gunsmithing but wanted to check first in case working with a stainless steel barrel presented a problem.

glen
06-18-10, 07:21
I doubt you will have a problem if a competent 'smith does the job.

The mechanics of removing a pinned muzzle device and installing and pinning a new one are pretty much the same for any material barrel.

Remember, Noveske mounted, pinnned, and welded a muzzle device to your barrel without any adverse effect. That means it can be done, and can be done again by someone with the know-how and equipment.

A lot of people here can do it themselves and if they don't chime in, ADCO is a company well known in AR circles for barrel work of almost any kind. You can try emailing them to discuss your concern.

Northern Woods
06-18-10, 12:51
I just called ADCO and it sounds like I should be all set in having them work on it. thanks