PDA

View Full Version : CZ75B?

SoDak
06-16-10, 15:04
I've got a family member that's wanting to buy a 9mm handgun. I suggested either a glock 17 or M&P since they seem to thought well of here, but he wants a CZ75B. I know next to nothing about the CZ75 and I was hoping someone here could fill me in on them. Would a CZ75B be a good handgun or should I still push him towards a glock or M&P?

Gutshot John
06-16-10, 15:08
I've got a family member that's wanting to buy a 9mm handgun. I suggested either a glock 17 or M&P since they seem to thought well of here, but he wants a CZ75B. I know next to nothing about the CZ75 and I was hoping someone here could fill me in on them. Would a CZ75B be a good handgun or should I still push him towards a glock or M&P?

It's a perfectly good handgun and a lot of fun to shoot. I'd prefer the other options you mentioned as being a bit more robust but the CZ is no slouch. Is there any reason he prefers the "B"? Is he looking to CCW?

jbsmwd
06-16-10, 15:41

While it's not a Glock or a M&P the design is very reliable to the point that there are few companies, world wide, clones of that very gun. Armilite brings imports a 9mm version(from Turkey I think), EAA has a line of pistols imported from Tanfoglio of Italy. Tanfoglio is a major player for that design but they changed the design slightly. Then Israel made it there sidearm for some of there units for a while. Magnum Research imported them in to the USA under the name of "Baby Desert Eagle" with a slide mounted safety or the rare frame mounted safety. Which is a configuration of the CZ-75 amoung many.:eek:

The CZ_75 is not striker fired like the Glock and M&P are. They are SAO or SA/DA type triggers. The DA pull is very heavy but smooth and then you get a very nice and light single action trigger that I love. CZ-75 are hard to find parts and accesories for, like a SERPA holster, unless you know where to look.

I would start here for more info
http://www.czforumsite.info/

and here how to learn how the gun works it you go the EAA/Tanfoglio route which was/is cheaper (I have not looked in a long time), but the CS histoicaly was well lets say that it needed work.
http://www.savvysurvivor.com/tanfoglio_witness_gunsmithing.htm

jbsmwd
06-16-10, 15:48
forgot to add that they come in polymer or steel frames and 9, 40 and 45

Outrider
06-16-10, 16:23
One of the things that is nice about a CZ-75B is they can be inexpensive (relatively speaking) to get into and then you can tune or modify as you go. There seems to be good aftermarket support for it as they are popular for competition. Granted you may have trouble finding everyone supporting them but the difficulty of getting a SERPA holster for a CZ-75B is not a good gauge of whether the pistol is worth it. Check here for some of the factory and custom stuff:

http://czcustom.com/

I found the CZ-75B SA (Single Action) variant to be comfortable and accurate. It also has a nice beavertail that the regular models do not have which allows the shooter to get a better grip on the pistol.

One of the downsides I noticed with the pistol is that while it can be inexpensive to get into, it does lack some of the nice finishing touches that should be there from the beginning. The magazine floorplates should be better. The stock ones are thin metal and get dinged and bent easily if the shooter allows the mag to drop free on a concrete surface. A shooter can add bumper pads or replace them with custom floorplates but that's additional money. Also the triggers out of the box whether DA/SA or SA are not great. They can benefit from some attention. Again, that's additional money.

Overall, the CZ-75B is serviceable out of the box. For additional money, it can be made into a really good pistol. Out of the box, the Glock 17 is probably the better deal if the shooter is going to keep whatever he gets stock or close to stock.

lethal dose
06-16-10, 16:44
Personally, I'd look at the bd model for carry.

Complication
06-16-10, 17:34
I ran a CZ P-06 as a carry piece for a while and recently moved to a Glock 19 because I shoot so much better and faster with it. Still, CZ's are beautiful guns. I recently sold my P-06 because I was getting rid of my .40's but I've still got my CZ75D PCR Compact which is a beaut'.

Three comments:
1) CZ triggers tend to be really gritty for the first 1000 rounds or so. If you want to know how the trigger feels, a NIB CZ will feel a lot different than one that's been broken in. You can get custom work done on the trigger, but it's cheaper to just shoot it a lot if that's what you're going to do anyways--it will get smoother.

2) If this family member is new to shooting staying away from a DA/SA might be a good idea. Personally I was tossing my first shots and having trouble adjusting to the transition to SA. And jbsmwd is right. They're heavy DA pulls (12 lbs if I recall).

3) Holsters for CZ compacts are tougher to come by. I think full size CZs have many more holster choices, but unless you're a big guy, you probably don't want to carry a full size CZ around.

The CZ is still my favorite pistol (especially with walnut grips), but I immensely prefer my Glock for day-to-day carrying. (Also, Outrider's right about the floorplates)

texag
06-16-10, 17:37
I owned a CZ75B that I put ~4k through in a year. It was a nice enough pistol, easy to shoot well, could carry in condition 1 with the safety on, SA trigger pull was ok, reliable.

That being said, it began to gather dust when I got my M&P9pro. The M&P does everything the CZ does, just better. It's lighter, I prefer the trigger, it's just as easy to shoot well, and has much better holster and sight support. It is also easier to work on.

Pumpkinheaver
06-16-10, 21:13
CZ pistols are good solid guns. I'd buy one.

beltjones
06-16-10, 22:02
CZ's are perfectly reliable and robust, and they are just as capable as a duty pistol as they are a competition pistol.

I'll echo what others have said about the triggers. I couldn't wait the 1000 rounds for the trigger to get better, so I swapped in a competition hammer and SA trigger. They're not difficult to work on, but you need a lot of patience because there are about a billion tiny springs inside the gun.

I finally have my CZ where I want it, but it cost a lot to get there. And I need to get on the timer again, but last I checked I was still faster with the Glock 17.

If the family member of the OP wants a CZ and it would make him excited to go shooting, then I think that's what matters. I really like my CZ 75B - it's a nice change of pace from shooting my Glocks and 1911's. I don't think anyone could go wrong by picking one up; however, I still think there are better choices out there (specifically the two the OP mentioned...).

kaiservontexas
06-16-10, 22:19
I have a friend that loves CZs and their clones. I own a .40S&W Baby Eagle. I have had no trouble. CZ buy with confidence.

And yes I like my Glock more too boot.

ccoker
06-16-10, 22:26
They are good, reliable, ergonomic and accurate guns
I shot my buds 75 SA a few weeks ago, it made we wish I hadn't sold the one I had about 5 years ago

MTLefty
06-16-10, 23:38
As a CZ owner and fan I think other options should be considered. The CZ 75 was a state of the art gun 30 years ago. Now you can buy polymer framed guns, with arguably better designs and adjustable ergonomics, for the same or lower price.

That being said, I love my 85 Combat(ambi 75 with adjustable sights). I have now fired 650+ rounds, of the 2000 round challenge, without a failure. I love the grip shape, and it is very accurate.

Also, on the trigger, a 15# mainspring http://czcustom.com/CZ-Mainspring-15Lb.aspx will do a lot for the pull at a very low cost and will take 2 minutes to install. Also http://www.czforumsite.info/ is an excellent resource.

I don't think a CZ75B will disappoint, and I just ordered a PCR for concealed carry. However, there are arguably better values and designs.

ETA: czcustom has a lot of stuff but the after-market and holster support is not what you would find with a Glock or M&P

PT Doc
06-17-10, 05:30
I had a stainless 75 that worked flawlessly and was a great looking gun as well. I'll echo what the others said about the trigger, etc...

That being said, mine was a safe queen that I recently traded for a G17 that Ben is finishing up. It won't spend much time in the safe. :)

An Undocumented Worker
06-17-10, 06:14
I've got a 75B Stainless, and a 75D compact PCR and both have proven to be very reliable guns.

The PCR has over 2500 rounds through it in the past year with no failures and 75B Stainless has close to 1500 rounds through it with no failures as well.

I switch between both guns for Concealed carry, The PCR is light alloy compact, however it is marginally thicker than the 75B.

Accuracy with both is great, and the triggers do smooth out with time. They can be tuned to have excellent triggers either by yourself or sending it to a smith. CZ Custom in Arizona does amazing work and offers competion hammers, thin alloy grips and just about any service you could want for the guns.

I have also noticed more companies starting to offer aftermarket products for CZ's as of late. VZ grips being one of them who just started making G10 grip panels for em.

My personal experience with CZ has given me no reason to believe that they don't make excellent side arms, defensive carry weapons.

Uncle Alvah
06-17-10, 13:14
I work in a store in a....ah......."socially dynamic" area(meaning: theres a lot of thugs skrooing around) and I carry a CZ 75b every day. I replaced the stock recoil spring with a Wolff 16 lb, made a WORLD of difference in the gun, VERY pleasant to shoot and accurate besides. I have no reservations about betting my life on the CZ.
Truth be told, I actually carry TWO guns to work. The CZ sits on my desk, and I have a KelTec PF-9 in my waistband. Other employees are armed as well. Zombies hell, it's the thugs that I worry about!

06-17-10, 13:27
I have a '91 pre-B CZ75. I once estimated it had about 60,000 rounds on it since I got it. No parts breakage save for a worn sear after it got worked over by Angus Hobdell and converted to SA only. Now a competition only gun due to it's light trigger pull, I would not hesitate to bet my life on it. That said, I carry a Gen 4 G17. The Glock is lighter and there are just more options for Glocks. For an all around gun my vote goes for the Glock or M&P.

Cobra66
06-17-10, 14:03
I picked mine up a few years ago, mostly for (that dreaded C word) collection purposes as it is one of the great classic 9mms. As a result, I don't have a tremendous amount of trigger time behind mine, but with what I have, it has been a surprisingly accurate, shootable, and reliable pistol. It served as my "away from home" gun for a while until I was able to pick up a second Beretta. My only real gripe about it is the single action pull has a little bit of a "camming" action as opposed to a crisp break.

As others have said, it is a dated design and if you/he is looking for the latest and greatest in 9mms, it is not your best bet. However if you/he is looking for a classic, rugged, and reliable 9mm the CZ-75 will do just fine.

Business_Casual
06-17-10, 19:00
It's an also-ran, not really competitive if you think about holster, parts, sights and magazine availability. Also, the DA/SA trigger is much harder to master than the consistent action of a striker-fired pistol.

B_C

jbsmwd
06-17-10, 19:11
It's an also-ran, not really competitive if you think about holster, parts, sights and magazine availability. Also, the DA/SA trigger is much harder to master than the consistent action of a striker-fired pistol.

B_C

I would agree with that statement.

If you familiy member is new to pistols I would recomend striker-fired pistol rather then a DA/SA pistol.

mashed68
06-17-10, 20:55
The cz75b is one of my favorite handguns ever. Your family member is a smart one :)

crusader377
06-17-10, 21:52
I think the CZ-75B is an excellent choice. It is accurate, durable, and is very easy to shoot. I have really enjoyed mine. That said however, I think my new M&P 9 is a better all round handgun than the CZ-75B for about the same price.

LMT42
06-19-10, 11:15
I would agree with that statement.

If you familiy member is new to pistols I would recomend striker-fired pistol rather then a DA/SA pistol.

I would disagree. Striker fired weapons make it that much easier to screw up. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth, but I seem to remember a rant by a well known moderator here, that said as much as well.

There's a reason the term "glock leg" exists and "revolver leg" doesn't. I think anyone new to handguns should stick with a heavy DA trigger - be it revolver or semi-auto.

GermanSynergy
06-19-10, 12:00
It's a well made, durable, accurate and overall great pistol.

The drawbacks would be

Weight
DA/DA
Sights (out of the box)
Undersprung (out of the box)

I bought one for my old man a decade ago and it's his go to pistol.

Avenger29
06-19-10, 21:25
I had a CZ75 Compact, turned out one of the grip screws was crossthreaded into the frame at the factory, then broke off when I went to change grips/ disable the magazine brake.

I ended up selling it with full disclosure and a decent discount to the seller after fixing it and shooting it a while, and I haven't heard any complaints from him. My CZ 452 also had problems straight from the factory, but I sent it in to be fixed and I haven't had a problem since. Two different problems from two different years of production in two different models didn't make me feel warm and fuzzy about them. I probably won't be buying a CZ product in the future.

The pistol was also HEAVY with a capital H. I think the weight is given as 2.4lbs from the factory? Just wow. I mean, I liked the weight for recoil dampening, but carrying it just wasn't comfortable. I ended up settling on an M&P 9mm that weighs a good deal less yet has the recoil characteristics of a heavy pistol.

I didn't like that the slide is set down into the frame. Makes it harder to get a good grip if it's slippery or has a slicker finish.

Overall, I just wasn't as comfortable with the pistol as I am with others, so I sold it to someone who likes CZs more than me. I feel that the CZs would have been a better value back when they were priced lower, but with today's prices...I don't feel you get what you pay for.

At least it's not a Taurus.

Business_Casual
06-19-10, 22:44
At least it's not a Taurus.

That sums it up nicely.

B_C

Joe Mamma
06-20-10, 11:37
They are decent guns. They have their good points and bad points like others have said.

One bad thing that I didn't see mentioned is that, from my experince and what I have heard, they should not be dry fired much. There is a roll pin that goes through the slide (perpendicular to the firing pin) that gets dammaged pretty easily when you dry fire it. If you look through the center of that pin, you can even tell when it gets banged up. You can always use a snap-cap to minimize that problem.

Joe Mamma

misanthropist
06-20-10, 17:14
They are decent guns. They have their good points and bad points like others have said.

One bad thing that I didn't see mentioned is that, from my experince and what I have heard, they should not be dry fired much. There is a roll pin that goes through the slide (perpendicular to the firing pin) that gets dammaged pretty easily when you dry fire it. If you look through the center of that pin, you can even tell when it gets banged up. You can always use a snap-cap to minimize that problem.

Joe Mamma

I am not disputing this because I don't know CZs well at all. But I am surprised to hear that just because most of the IPSC shooters I know have gone to CZ Shadows and they are all dry-fire maniacs. I can think of one guy who does several hours a week of dry fire on his Shadow and I have not heard him complain about it yet.

As I say I am not particularly up on CZs but that just surprises me to hear.

Redhat
06-20-10, 19:40

Joe Mamma

Mine came with snap caps included.

MTLefty
06-20-10, 21:38

Joe Mamma

Sample of one, but my 85 has been fine with heavy dry firing, with and without snap-caps. I do have a reduced power mainspring, which would reduce the stress on the firing pin/roll pin. I see snap-caps as very cheap insurance if I'm going to do a lot of dry fire practice.

Joe Mamma
06-21-10, 00:19
I am not disputing this because I don't know CZs well at all. But I am surprised to hear that just because most of the IPSC shooters I know have gone to CZ Shadows and they are all dry-fire maniacs. I can think of one guy who does several hours a week of dry fire on his Shadow and I have not heard him complain about it yet.

As I say I am not particularly up on CZs but that just surprises me to hear.

After I posted my message above, I found out that the problem I mentioned appears to have been fixed or at least improved significantly (since my experiences).

Sometime around 2002-2004, CZ started using a double roll pin (i.e., one pin inside the other), replacing the older style single roll pin. The double roll pin is much stronger than the single roll pin that had been used on CZ-75s for many years.

My experiences were with a gun from the 2001 time frame. The stories I heard were from roughly the same time. So I guess I raised a non-issue unless he is buying an older gun.

Joe Mamma

Combat_Diver
06-21-10, 00:45
All my CZ75 are pre B (made in the eighties). I started collecting and shooting them in 1988 when I was in Germany. Had Bruce Nelson make me a Summer Special to carry it in. The Iraqi army used to issue the CZ75 (pre B) to their troops and we captured tons of them in 03'. Here's a pic of my last one that my youngest son is going to get next month. Since he's a lefty he'll get my Ted Blocker LFI rig. Also had a CZ85 that I had parkerized and added night sights to, which was my carry gun for a few years in Kentucky.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/CZ75_left_side.jpeg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/CZ75_right_side_Bruce_Nelson_rig.jpeg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/cz75_Ted_Blocker_LFI_rig_left.jpeg

They are good solid dependable guns. I did use to shoot ISPC with mine in the early 90s. Never had a single issue with them.

CD

AJD
06-21-10, 14:01
They are excellent guns. Many find that the 75B is more accurate than most other auto pistols. The grip is certainly one of the most comfortable hi cap 9mm's you can find.

Weight is an issue but its a service pistol and was designed in the 70's so it shows its age in that regard. CZ currently offers updated designs based on the CZ75 that have polymer frames.

The standard 75B is meant to be carried cocked and locked so there isn't any going from DA on the first to SA on the second.

CZ has suffered from lack of recognition/respect in the US despite making outstanding firearms. Many American's still can't get past country of origin when it comes to quality in firearms(America and Western Europe=Quality. Former Combloc countries=Crap). CZ just doesn't have the marketing department and mainstream recognition that, Glock, HK and others have.

Lastly, CZ has made over 1 million 75's and the 75 design is one of the most widely copied pistols designs in the world. Wonder why.

Noodle
06-21-10, 15:40
Check out http://www.best9mm.com/ for some thoughts on lesser expensive 9mm hand guns. The CZ 75B is right at the top.

I own a CZ SP-01 Tactical in a 40 S&W and love it. One of my best shooting pistols.

Avenger29
06-21-10, 16:24
some thoughts on lesser expensive 9mm hand guns. The CZ 75B is right at the top.

One of the problems is that CZ's aren't one of the "lesser expensive 9mm handguns". Many of them are running around $500 and up nowadays. That's the cost of a Glock or M&P, and there are really no good enough reasons to choose a CZ over those two when it comes to serious use handguns. The cheapest CZ I see is the P-07 (the poly framed one, and it's running around $400...that's still not too much below a Glock)

Wildcat
06-21-10, 17:02
The first question is what kind of shooting does he want to do with the pistol? Carry gun or punching paper and tin cans?

The CZ75 is a good gun for the money. They work well and are very comfortable shooters.

If he hasn't already, he should try to make a point of handling the model that he wants. Some people have to stretch to reach all the controls: like the trigger when the hammer is all the way down or the magazine catch and slide stop can be just at the limit of the thumb's reach.

Internally the lockwork is complex. There are several tiny parts and springs. I have not found the factory trigger on their guns to be especially noteworthy but that can usually be fixed. There are smiths out there that cater to the CZ.

Contrary to some previous comments, magazines are readily available. MecGar makes 16 and 19 round mags that work flawlessly.
Some parts are also available as well as a modest selection of holsters.

My SP-01 did not like aluminum cased Blaser. It runs fine on just about everything else.

Wildcat

Seraph
06-21-10, 18:50
If you like a steel pistol, that's built like a tank, has a nice slim grip, and is laser beam accurate, then you might like a CZ 75B. I really like mine (converted by my buddy to a nice 3# SAO trigger):

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g111/Trisagion/CZcropped.jpg