PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Industries Railed Handguard

beantamug
05-29-07, 17:26
I am looking for 1st hand knowledge on Midwest Industries 2 piece free float railed handguards.

These:
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/ar_free_float_forearms.htm

Do they wiggle or are they rock solid? Have they worked loose with use? How was the installation? Did everything fit as it should have?

I am considering installing these on a 14.5" barreled upper with a carbine length gas system and a permanently attached flash hider. The barrel is a M-4 profile, so I might as well retain the ability to use the M-4 cut, thus I want to use a 2 piece handguard. However, I want something that will free float the barrel, so as not to deflect it when shooting with a tight sling, and also want wiggle free rails to mount a solid verticle grip, and the ability to attach zeroed accessories like a laser.

Thanks in advance.

C4IGrant
05-29-07, 17:49
They are rock solid and are pretty easy to install (just cut the Delta ring off and remove the springs).

C4

beantamug
05-29-07, 20:54
C4,

Thanks for the quick reply. In my mind your opinion carries some weight. By the way, I ordered a Tango Down stubby grip from you recently, it works great on my AKM.

Do you happen to carry the Midwest Industries 2 piece free float rail for a carbine gas system?

Thanks.

Turbo Supra
05-30-07, 10:08
+1 on the MI free-floaters. Inexpensive and well-built. Very easy to install! I had a carbine-length set on my old RRA, and now a 9.0" on my midlength Mega/CMMG gun:

7.0:

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/76997/0/m4final1.jpg

9.0:

http://www.imageviper.com/displayimage/86307/0/MIDDY_2.jpg

C4IGrant
05-30-07, 11:04
C4,

Thanks for the quick reply. In my mind your opinion carries some weight. By the way, I ordered a Tango Down stubby grip from you recently, it works great on my AKM.

Do you happen to carry the Midwest Industries 2 piece free float rail for a carbine gas system?

Thanks.

Yes we do.

C4

beantamug
05-30-07, 15:34
Turbo Supra and C4,

Thanks for the replies. Those are some very nice looking rifles, Turbo Supra.

When I am ready for the rails, I think I will go with these, and get them from you, C4.

-beantamug

citadelshooter
05-31-07, 20:57
How did you guys cut the gas ring off? I assume you removed the gas tube then cut it off, right?

I am going back and forth on the MI or the Troy for my new middy. If I don't want to mess with the handguard end cap will the MI work? It doesn't appear to have the relief cuts that the Troy does. Grant, any help?

cit

DamnYank!
06-01-07, 10:33
i was flip flopping between the MI and Troy FF midlength rails; ended up with the Troy. i was REAL happy with how the front handguard cap closed up with the rail; nice clean look.

as for removing the delta ring, we clamped my upper in a vice (with the proper holding block) and with the handguards removed made a couple cuts in the ring with a dremel and cutting wheel. pick your spots and you won't have to remove the gas ring or worry about nicking your upper. after that, some pliers can pull the remaining springs easy enough and you're ready to mount your new FF rail.

Snake RAH
06-01-07, 11:57
What do you guys mean by a gas ring?

Alaskagrown
06-01-07, 15:14
What do you guys mean by a gas ring?

I think they mean gas tube

Turbo Supra
06-01-07, 16:25
How did you guys cut the gas ring off? I assume you removed the gas tube then cut it off, right?On my RRA gun pictured, I took my Dremel and made 2 cuts on the left and right sides of the delta ring, straight through until it fell off. I think I cut the wave washer with a pair of small tin snips. I left the gas tube in place.

On the Mega midlength shown, I purchased the CMMG barrel assembly with NO delta ring, as I knew I was installing a railed forend...