PDA

View Full Version : Magpul PMags unit buys in Afghanistan?

OH58D
06-16-10, 19:11
It seems like almost every news story (video & print) I see showing Marine and Army units in Afghanistan, the M4s and M16s are sporting Pmags. I didn't hear of a government contract so are these unit purchases or arriving in family care packages? The Pmags all seem to be MagLevels with the window.

During the 20 years I served in the Army, it was hit & miss regarding private purchase duty gear. Maybe things are a little less strict now for combat units?

OH58D

devilsdeeds
06-16-10, 19:15
I believe you can buy them through the normal channels, they have NSN's (I'm just a civ though, so no clue!)

Byron
06-16-10, 19:44
http://soldiersystems.net/2010/04/13/marines-and-the-pmag/

ticketman
06-16-10, 19:46
Things are a lot less strict. Speaking from experience, our commander and 1SG let us use whatever magazines, slings, and grips we wanted as long as they didn't look radically different and weren't complete crap. Some of it was purchased for us as well.

500grains
06-16-10, 19:47
A Marine I know who deployed earlier this year said that in addition to his issue magazines (7 I believe), he could add extra personally-owned mags to his kit or substitute his own mags for the 7. He felt that 7 mags with all his other gear, weighing in at 90 pounds, was enough so he did not add additional mags.

Maybe it is on a company by company basis?

OH58D
06-16-10, 21:29
Interesting responses and info. I had had not kept up to date on this. Sounds like the best proving grounds for this Magpul product is actual combat. Makes me feel a little better now about my little stash of these mags and the ones I use in ranch activity.

Regarding non-issue gear, as a Kiowa driver and troop commander, I always hated the 1911 Colt pistol. Never liked the grip safety. Instead I carried a S&W Model 66 in a shoulder holster with speed loaders. Rank did have it's benefits.

OH58D

Iraqgunz
06-17-10, 00:56
The Marines actually have an NSN for them to procure mags. Many units (or at least the SF team I was with) bought them well before they deployed. Others are coming in care packages, etc.... :D

kry226
06-17-10, 05:57
They can be procured through the supply system with NSNs.

At the same time, each company has a unit credit card and can purchase PMAGs commercially with their pre-deployment budgets. I have actually paid for a lot of EOTechs in this manner.

CBTech
06-17-10, 06:14
Some of us use bought our own, some bought HK mags. Then one day a Pelican case of P-mags showed up. Wish I would've waited.

nolacopusmc
06-17-10, 06:24
They are available for sale in some PX's overseas.

Moose-Knuckle
06-17-10, 09:04
There are goverment contracts for P-MAGs in some form or another, I got by blue P-MAGs from a goverment auction.

nolacopusmc
06-17-10, 09:11
There are goverment contracts for P-MAGs in some form or another, I got by blue P-MAGs from a goverment auction.

You got magazines through govliquidation ?

BooneGA
06-17-10, 10:05
No one cares (customs wise) what you bring in country, so Im certain that the majority are brought over when people deploy. They are also available in PXs on the larger FOBs.

Some units were able to pick them up with discretionary funds for their entire unit.

Rick

scar2099
06-17-10, 10:21
even thought they are not standard issue they do have NSN we can order pretty easily as long the brass approves it, especially overseas . usually its one of those items if they do ever have it ,itll be gone the same day.

Cascades236
06-17-10, 13:50
Seen em at a PX and even a Shopette

kaltesherz
06-17-10, 14:09
My old unit is deploying back to OEF shortly and everyone was issued 7 Black windowed Pmags. Last time only a few of us (maybe 4 or 5) in the whole company had 'em and of course had to pay for them.

I'm glad to see my friends being so much better equipped (Pmags, plate carriers, Multicam, etc) than the last deployment. Too bad their ROE seems to have gotten worse, which I didn't think was possible

jvencius
06-17-10, 14:13
... Others are coming in care packages, etc.... :D

I've heard (or did I read it in a book somewhere...:confused:;) ) that you if you throw a paperback or two in the care package with some PMAGs, writing "Books and magazines" in the "Contents" section of the Customs form isn't being deceitful...

:D:D:D

TehLlama
06-17-10, 15:52
Nice.

I brought my own, though my supported unit got a case of them in. Frankly, it's stupid not to have PMags around.

OH58D
06-17-10, 20:06
Sounds like the new unofficial/official magazine of choice? Too bad DOD can't get with the program and get a contract going. What's the hold up...no government trial program and testing?

OH58D

ThirdWatcher
06-17-10, 20:44
My guess is NIH. :confused:

CAVDOC
06-18-10, 17:17
I was in A-stan in 08. the problem was not getting gear into country,it was getting out- customs gave us a real hard time with our individual gear including guys having p-mags, optics and other personal gear. They went so far as to say it was against the rules for us to carry home any weapons parts which they construed to include mags and anything you can add to a gun.
As far as personal stuff, personal weapons are expressly prohibited-some special units may get away with it but not even a field grade officer such as me could be just carrying any thing they want. most units are pretty laid back about accesories and pmags.

Iraqgunz
06-18-10, 17:29
I am slightly confused. How can it be a problem bringing PMAG's back when all you have to do is ensure that all mags are unloaded? If the optic or mags go back with your weapons and other gear no one knows.

I was in A-stan in 08. the problem was not getting gear into country,it was getting out- customs gave us a real hard time with our individual gear including guys having p-mags, optics and other personal gear. They went so far as to say it was against the rules for us to carry home any weapons parts which they construed to include mags and anything you can add to a gun.
As far as personal stuff, personal weapons are expressly prohibited-some special units may get away with it but not even a field grade officer such as me could be just carrying any thing they want. most units are pretty laid back about accesories and pmags.

SIGguy229
06-18-10, 17:57
I was in AFG Dec 08 - Dec 09...brought my basic load of PMAGs....never had a problem. Since I had additional ammo...I wanted additional PMAGs. I had my wife throw a couple in a care package, only to have U.S. Customs stop and return the package with a note saying the mags were prohibited for export (!!!). She tried this 3 different times. I had to get the mags when I came home on mid-tour.

On the way home at the end of my tour, I didn't have any issues going through Manas.

JEHalloranIV
06-26-10, 06:14
NSN item for both windowed and non-windowed...black only.

My BDE ordered a shit tin of them...enough for each kid to get 10 mags per...the way it should be...every once in a while you get a clear headed CDR that is a believer in the gun...doesn't hurt that one of his rfile BN CDRs is a SHOOTER

Pumpkinheaver
06-26-10, 08:38
Glad to hear that most CO's are letting their guys use what they need!!!

theblackknight
06-26-10, 11:51
Ive got mine here and use them on the range and when training(which never happens). Ive never got any flak for them besides the random bubba making gear queer jokes.

I left the lancers at home cause the springs are kinda noisy when not filled with rounds. I dont see many in POG units round here with pmags tho.

TehLlama
06-26-10, 21:02
Yeah, I got a fair amount of gear queer jabs predeployment, and was the only pogue out there with them, but within a month I was having to go price shopping for friends so that they could get them mid-tour.

Manas was no problem for me either.

BWT
06-27-10, 00:09
I'd rather be a gear queer with magazines that I could rely on. ;)

Some things in life are worth the money and hassle of coworkers.

Here's a thought, for those of you guys who can't get PMAGs (doesn't seem that prevalent of any issue...) How about switching out to Magpul anti-tilt followers?

Cheaper, not a Pmag, but, you can hang onto your old magazines, etc.

I'm surprised you guys are issued 7-8 magazines. I'd have like 20, not necessarily on my person, but in case while you're doing something you fell on one, or somehow otherwise broke, lost, etc.

I mean 20 ~15$ magazines is $300, but to put it in perspective, you are in Afghanistan, sometimes you buy the best equipment available because it's smart to do.

Also, I know a lot of gun dealers do .mil discounts, if I was in the military, I'd consider doing a group buy before you deployed to get them as cheap as possible, I bet if you got a few hundred you could drive down the cost a lot as well.

JSantoro
06-27-10, 00:11
I am slightly confused. How can it be a problem bringing PMAG's back when all you have to do is ensure that all mags are unloaded? If the optic or mags go back with your weapons and other gear no one knows.

Largely a problem of somebody assigned to customs work with a combination of a god complex and an unfamiliarity of the actual restrictions who suddenly sees something that doesn't look like a piece they aren't used to seeing.

Plus, if you ever look at the as-many-as five different customs restriction/contraband lists put out by DoS, theater command, division command, and the Dept of Redundancy Dept line-by-line, the way they are written sometimes directly contradict each other, or at least create confusion regarding items like this. Couple that with the type of lame-brain above......

Iraqgunz
06-27-10, 02:25
Jim,

I am just rather surprised as I saw military guys with their kit moving in and out of theater alot. No one knows if your mags or a particular optic are issued or not.

Now with contractors it's a whole different ball game. We can't get shit through. As a matter of fact I was lucky when I left A'stan because the guys at the APO didn't get crazy when they searched my footlockers and I kept the contraband to a minimum. :D

Largely a problem of somebody assigned to customs work with a combination of a god complex and an unfamiliarity of the actual restrictions who suddenly sees something that doesn't look like a piece they aren't used to seeing.

Plus, if you ever look at the as-many-as five different customs restriction/contraband lists put out by DoS, theater command, division command, and the Dept of Redundancy Dept line-by-line, the way they are written sometimes directly contradict each other, or at least create confusion regarding items like this. Couple that with the type of lame-brain above......

theblackknight
06-27-10, 06:36
I'd rather be a gear queer with magazines that I could rely on. ;)

Some things in life are worth the money and hassle of coworkers.

Dude, as I see it, most arnt here because they want to be, but because its a paycheck and a meal. Most don't know that Eugene Stoner made the USGIs to be one time use, and if they did, dont take enough pride in what they do to spend money on good kit.

HK51Fan
06-27-10, 13:51
I'd have to say that the military is moving a lot faster now than 10-15yrs ago, when it comes to testing and considering new kit.

BWT
06-27-10, 14:18
Dude, as I see it, most arnt here because they want to be, but because its a paycheck and a meal. Most don't know that Eugene Stoner made the USGIs to be one time use, and if they did, dont take enough pride in what they do to spend money on good kit.

If I was in that situation I'd see it as an insurance policy.

I don't care if you're a fire-breathing liberal, I'd buy those evil magazines that you could run over a few times with a truck when they're empty and they keep running.