PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Filter

dewshe
06-16-10, 21:47
I am currently running a G2 on my DDXV and have been looking to pick up an M61 Mod from Malkoff. I like the idea of having the output of the M61 when outdoors, but I have also read that the 260 or so lumens the M61 puts out can take you out of the fight momentarily if used indoors.

Can someone please provide some info regarding the various filters, and if there is a good choice for indoor use to lessen the output (in conjunction with the M61)?

Please feel free to point out flaws with this idea, or make suggestions that deviate from this setup. This gun is my go-to HD weapon.

Chameleox
06-17-10, 22:04
I like Malkoff; I have one in one of my handheld lights for patrol work. However, both my patrol carbine and HD carbine have Surefire P60L bulbs.

I find that 80 Lumens through the LED bulb has plenty of throw for outdoor usage within a respectable distance. It also lights up rooms nicely without being too bright.

G2L makes a good handheld light, but its also a highly underrated weapon light. Reasonable cost, too.

GroundLabTactical
06-27-10, 22:19
The red or blue filter would take the edge off. They also have an diffuser filter (read fogged glass look)

dewshe
06-28-10, 20:00
Beautiful. Thank you GLT.

Dennis
06-28-10, 23:36
A SF diffuser filter isn't a bad idea for indoors since it essentially turns the light into a super flood, but then you have to remember to put it down when required, or up when not... I used to run a red filter on my forend light for stealthier work but took it off when I found I never used it since I was usually busy with other issues when the time came.

I don't think the M61 (which is floodier than the M60 already) puts out too much light indoors unless you are already dark adapted when entering a house, which doesn't happen much in urban areas. In fact, the extra light spreads out and allows you to ID the corners and crevices better. You just have to be careful not to shine it into a mirror or up close against a shiny white wall and then stare right into it. Basically, be ready to for the light which is probably a good idea regardless. I find that when I search low ready the light is pointing more towards the ground and I don't get reflections. This applies to the X300 on my pistol as well. In fact, I also carry a 700 lumen handheld light and it works great indoors if you train and use it correctly.

That said, I run a 100lumen M60WL in my 870 for the increased runtime (4.5+hrs) and the peace of mind of knowing I should always have at least a couple hours of light even if I forgot the check the batteries last week.

Just my experience, try some stuff out and do whatever works for you!

Dennis.

uwe1
07-03-10, 10:45
I am currently running a G2 on my DDXV and have been looking to pick up an M61 Mod from Malkoff. I like the idea of having the output of the M61 when outdoors, but I have also read that the 260 or so lumens the M61 puts out can take you out of the fight momentarily if used indoors.

Can someone please provide some info regarding the various filters, and if there is a good choice for indoor use to lessen the output (in conjunction with the M61)?

Please feel free to point out flaws with this idea, or make suggestions that deviate from this setup. This gun is my go-to HD weapon.

I just received two M61 drop in modules yesterday. It's rated ~260 Lumens with a runtime of about 2 hours. As Dennis already mentioned, the M61 is "floodier". As advertised, it is a great room illuminator, but a short/medium range spotter. They're installed in a 6P and G2LED and mounted at ~10-11 on my HD rifles.

While experimenting (unscientifically) through the house, the units seem to work really well at illuminating the whole room and illuminate all the corners instead of just the center spot. The hot spot is as intense, or perhaps slightly less intense than the hot spot of the TLR1s. It might just appear less intense because the whole surrounding spill over area is much brighter, so the relative intensity of the hot spot appears less.

As Dennis also mentioned, because of the floodier characteristic of the M61, it's feels less blinding for me behind the gun vs. using a TLR1s. It's still insanely bright looking at it from the business end. I found a website that still has two in stock (same price as Malkoff sells them). They are hard to find and the only ones I located recently. PM me if you want to check it out.

I don't have experience with Surefire diffusers, but if they're anything like diffusers used in medical optical equipment, your won't need it with the M61 as it already spreads the light out. Diffusers on medical devices are generally great at spreading out the hot spot.