PDA

View Full Version : I hate ticks!!

Nathan_Bell
05-29-07, 19:57
I do believe of all God's creatures ticks give me the worst case of heebie jeebies of them all. Worse than snakes, much worse than spiders.

Walked a total of 4 paces, so about 12-13 feet, into a field in shorts. Look down had had three of the damned things on me! Turned the air blue got them off me and then said screw it and went elsewhere.

Hate the damned things.

[/conniption off]

graffex
05-29-07, 20:17
They are dirty, disgusting, little creatures.

Voodoochild
05-29-07, 20:22
They are nasty little buggers. Just watch out for the ones carrying limes disease.

Nathan_Bell
05-29-07, 20:22
They are dirty, disgusting, little creatures.

I know I was not that nice to them when I was swearing about them being on me.

Dave L.
05-29-07, 20:28
I had one in my leg for 4 days...I used a lit cigarette and burned the little bastard out.

Robb Jensen
05-29-07, 20:32
I hate them with a passion. :mad:

MASP7
05-29-07, 21:21
What's not to love...

http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/hardin/md/pictures22/cdc/5978_lores.jpg

Striker5
05-29-07, 21:49
I was at a debrief after a live fire range where I watched a Marine remove a number of ticks from his cammies and deposit them on his buddy. When the guy saw this he started sucking on his camelback, waited for the captain who was debriefing to look somewhere else then doused the guy from the head down. Then he walked about ten feet and sat back down.

Low Drag
05-29-07, 22:53
I hate ticks but they love me.

One night a long time ago, one lousy night on the ground at Camp LeJeune of course, I had at least 19 ticks on me. I say 19 because I don't want to exaggerate the number. I know it was more but stopped counting at 15.

I got a jungle hammock after that.

Rob96
05-30-07, 03:53
Went for a run in the park yesterday after work. Driving back home I felt something on my hand and saw it was a tick. Stopped my truck in traffic, picked it off of my hand, opened my door and through it on the street. Glad it was walking and not attached, or traffic would have had to wait a little longer.

M4arc
05-30-07, 07:24
Yep, they are out in full force here in the Commonwealth. The boys and I went mountain biking in Williamsburg on Sunday and afterwards I had to give myself a thorough checking to make sure none of the little bastards found me.

LOKNLOD
05-30-07, 08:37
I must taste bad, because I always find ticks on me but never attached. The little buggers sure are tough, I always burn them because they're hard to smash.

cqbdriver
05-30-07, 10:41
I had to get butt-naked last summer out at my hunting property. I was clearing brush. I found a tick on my clothes. I looked around for more & saw ticks all over my clothes. I stripped down naked. I started burning them off my clothes with a lighter. The official body count was 236 confirmed kills. I had sprayed myself & my clothes with Off before heading into the brush.

C4IGrant
05-30-07, 10:58
When I lived in VA, we played a lot of paintbal in the woods. After a long day in the woods, I cam home to find 13 of them on me with half of them imbedded. :eek:

I then discovered 100% deet and applied to my clothing and have NEVER had another issue.

Was washing the dog yesterday and found one on her. Luckily it was just looking for a place to bite.

C4

UVvis
05-30-07, 12:30
I then discovered 100% deet and applied to my clothing and have NEVER had another issue.

C4

DEET is wonderful stuff.

My wife seriously hates ticks. I just don't care for them but have no serious problems with them. Just one of the thousands of nasties out there.

Striker5
06-01-07, 14:27
Off topic, but DEET is also useful for "area denial" for the mice that plagued our building and gassing their spider holes.

carshooter
06-01-07, 18:42
I hate 'em too, but playing in the woods and fields of Ohio, they're a part of outdoor activities. I hate to say it, but I've grown used to the heebie jeebie search and destroy missions for regular old ticks.

However, I lived in Southwest Missouri for a couple of years. When we first moved out there, we purchased a house in the middle of no where. Right after we closed on it, I was clearing some brush and got into a patch of what they called seed ticks. (I actually think they're really just immature juvenile ticks)

The little bastards are about the size of a pinhead. I felt something crawling up the inside of my pant legs and when I looked it looked like a black moving carpet climbing up my legs.

I immediately dropped my pants in the middle of the field and ran for the house, stripping off the rest of my clothes along the way. I climbed in the bath tub with bleach water and scraped them off with the edge of a credit card.

If you think regular old ticks suck, seed ticks are worse. Most of the time big ticks climb up into your hairline armpits before the dig in. The microscopic ****ers dig in on your shins. Their bodies are also soft, so if you don't find them right away, they pull in half when you try to pull them out.

It gives me the creeps just typing about it..........

Chiggers are almost as bad............

Steve in PA
06-01-07, 23:05
I got one on my gonads last year!!!

I was at a week long NRA LEO Tactical Shooting Instructor Course down in York, PA. On about Thursday, after a long hot day I was about to get in the shower when I noticed a speck on my next (gonads story comes later) and wadda ya know.....a tick!!

When I was in the USMC back in the late 70's early 80's we used to get ticks frequently whenever we went to the field, so it was no biggie. Slow and steady and I got it out. Gave myself a good once over (or so I thought) and I appeared to be tick free.

Friday was the last day and after a long drive home I'm about ready to get in the shower. I had called my wife on Thursday to tell her about the tick and she said I better check myself again.

So........I stand in front of the mirror, looking things over.......decide to check under the boys...........damn!!!! A tick!!!! Yelled for the wife who said don;t move. Where did she think I was going to go, naked as a jaybird with a tick on my gonads???

She grabbed a set of tweezers and after some gentle.........GENTLE manipulating.........I was tick free.

Yes, I hate ticks too!!!

9DivDoc
06-02-07, 00:33
Just picked one of the back of my neck

Get about 6-10 daily

Dog drops em off...every night...they dont like his "Frontline"
so they go after me and the missus...

Problem is laying in bed ...after you've pulled one or two off...everytime
a hair moves you just gotta wake up and check it out...just in case...

I found making sure the dog gets brushed with a shedding blade and pin brush
before coming back into the house...keeps a lot of them out...

Dog has lymes titer right now have to recheck him this week....pretty much everyone around these parts has or had lymes...some folks three or four times.

Live in N Central WI or SW WI and spend much time outdoors...you are gonna
get it sooner or later.

Interesting little buggers...they dont really latch on and bite to get blood ...the secrete a protein disolving enzyme which turns flesh into jelly

After they've latched on for a day...they basically puke (take a dump in their case)
into the wound..

I enjoy tossing them into the sink then torching them with a butane charcoal lighter...

I used to toss them on the stove burner and light them up but the wife put the kabosh on that one...it does stink a bit after you've roasted a dozen or so.

I hate the little bass turds...

Bat Guano
06-02-07, 01:23
Out in the sagebrush where I shoot they show up when things turn green. Wound up with a case of Rocky Mtn Fever a few years ago from them. Felt downright lousy for about a month.

Given the choice I think I prefer rattlesnakes.

docsprague
06-14-07, 22:54
I just went to the doctor a few days ago for a tick bite. I did not know I got bit and I never found the tick. But sure enough I had a bullseye looking bit. Doctor said that it was probably a deer tick and they have had one local death already from Urocosis (sp) which is carried by deer ticks. He put me on an antibiotic and so far the bit mark is fading. So watch out.