PDA

View Full Version : Cold Steel Swordcanes

rat31465
06-17-10, 10:34
I tried searching the forum but had no luck finding any comments about the use of Swordcanes.

I suffered a torn PCL in my left knee back in Feb 2009, which has left me at a bit of a disadvantage. My Doc doesn't want to operate at this time even though I suffer frequent sprains and internal contusions from this injury.

This leaves me without the ability or the option to run and even makes walking any distance difficult at best.
So should I ever be involved in a confrontation I have no choice but to take a stand and fight.
I haven't yet gotten my CCW but I do plan on doing so in the near future.

Until this time I have decided to order one of the Cold Steel Heavy Duty Sword Canes.
http://www.coldsteelarizona.com/Products/1-heavy-duty-sword-cane.aspx
I know these are illegal in certain States but as far as I can determine they are not here in Missouri where I live.

This 24 1/4" 1055 Carbon steel blade should help to even up the odds as well as offering me the stability I need while walking.

The shaft is heavy aluminium and can be used as a baton in the off hand as well.

I am curious if anyone has any real time knowledge of this product and what your thoughts are on it....?

Cincinnatus
06-17-10, 10:59
From my experience with numerous Cold Steel products, I would say they are good to go. However, just a bamboo or reed cane would be a better self defense option in my opinion. It takes too long to draw a blade and it also looks damn bad in court to say you impaled a dude with a sword cane! You can very effectively defend yourself with a reed cane, and the thing is so light and fast no badguy with anything short of a firearm is going to have much of a chance against you if you train with it.
That being said, I think having a Cold Steel sword cane would be fun for sh*ts and giggles.

vaglocker
06-17-10, 11:35
I vote for regular cane and a taser.

Zhurdan
06-17-10, 11:48
Maybe someone should manufacture a Taser Cane!

Anything that provides capability at distance is better than nothing.

jmoore
06-17-10, 11:49

The nice thing about this option is that if you are ever at a point where you truly NEED the cane for stability (and little things like standing:) - the taser comes in handy in and of itself. I once watched a class where "seniors" were going to be taught how to use their canes for SD - what a farce. More likelihood that they would injure themselves from falling than from anything else.

OTOH - I've traveled a lot using a cane. I have a medical history (ACL) of knee problems - but don't actually need the cane in any way, shape or form now d/t corrective surgery. However - it's nice to be able to carry it anywhere (including a plane) and have the option of using it for SD purposes. (BTW - I have a 25 year background in martial arts and impact weapons - so that aspect is covered:)

jm

rat31465
06-17-10, 17:59
Legalities of using one aside, I may still have to have one.

jwinch2
06-17-10, 18:17
If you are serious about getting a sword cane, I would encourage you to check this company out. There is nothing wrong with Cold Steel as a company mind you but these guys might be worth a look for you also. I'll be curious to hear how you like it whoever you go with.

http://www.swordcane.com/burger_swords_home.htm

Abraxas
06-17-10, 18:38

I like this idea

DTHN2LGS
06-18-10, 15:11
If you are serious about getting a sword cane, I would encourage you to check this company out. There is nothing wrong with Cold Steel as a company mind you but these guys might be worth a look for you also. I'll be curious to hear how you like it whoever you go with.

http://www.swordcane.com/burger_swords_home.htm

If I could afford it, the Impala Horn handled model would be my choice. Awesome workmanship!

Also, if you need the cane to stand up, you can't use it for a weapon at the same time.