PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Mags

Taran
06-17-10, 13:13
My unit's supply is ready to order new mags for our M16s and is pretty torn between the options he has.
I figured if anyone would know the best choices, it's the guys here.
Ya'll and I may have disagreements about the AR, but when it comes time to shoot the bad guys, I want the best of what I can get, so what do you think I should recommend to supply (he actually takes my input seriously, foolish)?

DaBears_85
06-17-10, 13:40
Pmags, and lots of them.

Chadzillaa
06-17-10, 13:53
Pmags no question. Most reliable and durable magazines out there

jvencius
06-17-10, 14:15
What those guys ↑ said...

organdonor
06-17-10, 14:49
What that guy ↑ said...

Peanut
06-17-10, 14:54
What they said...PMAGS

nar472
06-17-10, 15:00
I love my p-mags

Landchipper
06-17-10, 15:15
What that guy ↑ said...

+1 totally agree

Taran
06-17-10, 16:32
And if he can't get PMags?
What's second best?

T-TAC
06-17-10, 16:43
Two best mags out there is the P mag and if you want the standard steel mag, Then Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=46430/sku/30_Round_Gray_AR_15_M16_Magazine_w_CS_Spring

Entropy
06-17-10, 16:48
Another vote for Magpul PMAGs. More reliable and durable than USGI.

Treehopr
06-17-10, 17:06
What kind of unit are you in?

What kind of missions are you expected to be performing?

Depending on what kind of kit you're issued PMAGs may not fit properly in issued mag pouches.

You may be better off with GI Mags with magpul followers

nrose8989
06-17-10, 17:19
What everyone else said...... PMAGs

It's kinda funny how my future long gun purchases depend solely on if they will work with pmags.

5.56 guns.... must run pmags..
7.62 guns..... must run 20LR pmags.

ST911
06-17-10, 17:52
PMAG
TD ARC
BCM
Brownells

Not necessarily in order of preference.

Pumpkinheaver
06-17-10, 18:25
I drink the PMag koolaide too!!!LOL

ucrt
06-17-10, 18:29
I asked one of the largest magazine sellers in the country a few months ago, "What is the LEAST returned AR magazine you sell?"

The brands they regularly sell MagPul, D&H, NHMTG, C-Products, and every now and then a few other brands.

He told me he needed to check his computer and got back with me later saying, "NHMTG 1st and P-Mag 2nd."

Thought it was interesting. So, I've been buying NHMTG (and other USGI mags) and adding Magpul Followers. I've been averaging <$10 a mag, sometimes <$9 with MP Followers.

Best advice I've heard on Magazine is - "Don't fall in love with your Mags."

ChicagoTex
06-17-10, 18:34
He told me he needed to check his computer and got back with me later saying, "NHMTG 1st and P-Mag 2nd."

Thought it was interesting.

You do realize that's because all the P-Mag returns are from fudds who bought crap-spec lowers that won't fit the P-mags, or won't drop P-mags free.

Returns aren't always an indication of quality...

That said, the second best mags to Pmags in my opinion are Lancers. Between those two great options, I see no reason to ever run metal mags in an AR.

ROGOPGEAR
06-17-10, 18:34
What kind of unit are you in?

What kind of missions are you expected to be performing?

Depending on what kind of kit you're issued PMAGs may not fit properly in issued mag pouches.

You may be better off with GI Mags with magpul followers

one of my ranger friends told me that PMAGs won't double stack in the standard issue pouches so he doesn't use them. don't know if the new revision M PMAGs are thinner too, or if it is just the waffling that is less. just something to think about. but if that's not a problem, then PMAGs all the way.

Iraqgunz
06-17-10, 18:38
That may be true for Rangers, however most of the SF personnel I saw and MARSOC guys all were using PMAG's. Most of them also didn't use double mag pouches either.

one of my ranger friends told me that PMAGs won't double stack in the standard issue pouches so he doesn't use them. don't know if the new revision M PMAGs are thinner too, or if it is just the waffling that is less. just something to think about. but if that's not a problem, then PMAGs all the way.

ALCOAR
06-17-10, 18:51
When did somebody else start making mags......PMAG needs some competition:D

nickh46
06-17-10, 20:37
I have to say that I completely lost any faith in the Tangodown ARC mags. I loaded a few to full 30 rd capacity, and had them sitting around a few weeks to see how they measure up.

I ended up getting a double feed, and in the same mag, another round was misangled, and the bolt slammed home onto the side. Put a nice little dent on the side of the round.

Thinking about trying out some of the BCM's USGI black teflon mags. Any one with experience on them?

In addition, the Brownells USGI mags. Are they advertised at full 30 rd capacity, or does downgrading it a round still an SOP?

Skang
06-17-10, 20:46
P-Mag is the most popular magazine.

I am going to try some New 30rd Lancer Magazine. :D

DacoRoman
06-17-10, 20:48
I've got PMags and they have worked very well with no mag induced malfunctions. Out of a Colt 6920 and a Bushmaster lower they drop free. I do have a Noveske lower that won't drop them free. So if this matters to you, then make sure that they drop free.

I also have 10 Lancers and they have also worked great. They don't have an anti tilt follower, but this hasn't caused any problems (although now I think they have an anti-tilt follower). They drop free out of the Noveske lower (and all others).

So I like PMags and Lancers both. The PMags do seem a lot more bulletproof, but I'm not going to run over either with my car :)

matt86
06-17-10, 21:04

works in my issued kit.

ucrt
06-17-10, 21:39
You do realize that's because all the P-Mag returns are from fudds who bought crap-spec lowers that won't fit the P-mags, or won't drop P-mags free.

That said, the second best mags to Pmags in my opinion are Lancers. Between those two great options, I see no reason to ever run metal mags in an AR.

--------------------------------------------------------

There are plenty of instances reported on this site where P-Mags don't drop free from quality magwells. That is a concern and every Mag should be tested in the rifle that will be using them.

I think if I had to buy mags that need to work in an assortment of rifles, I'd probably stick with USGI mags like NHMTG, Okay, Brownell's, D&H, DSG Arms (which right now come with the new USGI Tan MagPul Follower for less than $9 each).

----------------------------------------------------------

crusader377
06-17-10, 22:10
PMAGs would be my first choice but I would also seriously look at the BCM 30rd magazines with magpul followers. I have been very impressed with the quality of those magazines and they are less expensive as well.

Avenger29
06-17-10, 22:19
What you DON'T want is stuff like Thermolds, C Products, Promags, National Magazine, USA Magazine, Tapcos, etc.

Not being in the military, I wonder how many service members hear about the "wonderful new plastic magazines" (as in PMAGs) and then go buy Thermolds because the tool at the gunshop says "They are just as good at half the price!"

P2000
06-17-10, 23:22
In my opinion,
Lancer
pmag
USGI

Velcro
06-18-10, 00:42
maybe use this to your advantage w/ your unit...

USGI mag....$20-$30
TD mag........$20-$30

PMAG...........$12-$15

Unit Commanders ALWAYS love to save money!

Velcro

blade_68
06-18-10, 00:58
PMAGs
BCM / Brownnells
can't say anything about the others but thermold are POS... and will fail. had 7 of them best use for lighting fires. feed lip failures.

ALCOAR
06-18-10, 01:23
Worst mags Ive ever come across are SigSauer 30rd. mags that come in pairs w. the coupler.....Holy smokes they suck.

Dano5326
06-18-10, 01:46
DSG teflon mags with magpul follower

Hardchrome
06-18-10, 08:37
PMAGS + 1

RogerinTPA
06-18-10, 08:47
1. Pmags
2. NHMTG/Okay Mags, they're under 11 bucks most places, add Magpul followers and you are GTG.
3.DSG Teflon mags with Magpul followers, under 11bucks.

Scoby
06-18-10, 09:13

ChicagoTex:

The question was "What is the LEAST returned AR magazine you sell?" not the most.

If it was me I'd go PMag first and NHMTG with Magpul followers second. Of course these are the only mags I have any experience with.

Scoby

ilsrwy27
06-18-10, 11:51
I asked one of the largest magazine sellers in the country a few months ago, "What is the LEAST returned AR magazine you sell?"

Was that the least amount of units returned or the smallest percentage vs sales? One figure is relevant, the other is not.

Zeus
06-18-10, 13:22
All Koolaid a side (yes, it does taste good) there seems to be a trend with the recommendations of those spending the most time in harms way. Seems the majority of those guys use Pmags when they can get them (BTW the newest units seem to fit most any gear fine). Now from my personal perspective, one make of mag that I've not had fail ME is Pmag. Granted, I rotate mine and have not completely worn one out yet.

Another interesting diddy is looking at where a Pmag places the next round to be fed as apposed to some others. That in and of it's self might have a lot to do with it's success. Granted, I used to build aircraft and have a keen eye for these things, but the layman should have no trouble comparing where Pmags vs. some others place the next round to be stripped.

Don't take my or anyone else's word for things that might save a life that might be your own. Give them a look, and a TRY before saying this or that works with this or that. We all owe it to ourselves and to those we'd not see perish.

dcs12345
06-18-10, 15:37
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Parts-s/88.htm

Bravo Company is having a sale on D&H mags.
Cases of 100
with Green followers $699
with Magpul followers $799

just thought I would give you some options other than P-Mags....

nickh46
06-18-10, 16:41
I also noticed that DSG Arms sells both DSG and D&H magazines, both with the Gen III Magpul followers.

Anyone in the know knows the main difference between DSG and D&H?

SIGguy229
06-18-10, 18:00
What they said....PMAGs....

TehLlama
06-19-10, 12:14
PMags are preferred.
D&H, Brownells, NMHTG with MagPul Gen3's are a close second.

I ran a mix of these, and will run pure PMags in the future.

RogerinTPA
06-19-10, 16:03
I have to say that I completely lost any faith in the Tangodown ARC mags. I loaded a few to full 30 rd capacity, and had them sitting around a few weeks to see how they measure up.

I ended up getting a double feed, and in the same mag, another round was misangled, and the bolt slammed home onto the side. Put a nice little dent on the side of the round.

Thinking about trying out some of the BCM's USGI black teflon mags. Any one with experience on them?

In addition, the Brownells USGI mags. Are they advertised at full 30 rd capacity, or does downgrading it a round still an SOP?

I have a few SAW ammo cans filled with around 26 mags. One has been loaded close to 3 years now, which contains 12 Pmags, 6 Alum teflon DSA mags with Magpul followers, and 6 BCM teflon gray D&H mags, also with Magpul followers. All filled to 30 rounds. At the two year mark on this particular can, I test fired 2 mags of each. All mags functioned properly.

Taran
06-19-10, 23:27
I appreciate the help guys.
We're a Route Clearance unit. We set off the IEDs and trigger the ambushes. Infantry are our friends. We can leave them to clean up what we leave of the ambushes while we go about the rest of our job. :p

For the guys posting civilian prices, thanks, but no help. We don't have access to those prices through the official system and this thread was about what we can order through the system. Anything else will be just as we deploy and on an individual or squad basis, most likely.

So, Magpul followers is the primary piece we want, with the PMAG being the best mag. I'll pass it on, and see what's available.

We're trying to replace some 20 year old mags. Pre-bans, post-bans civvies that soldiers dropped off to get the military and/or pre-ban mags, that sort of thing. Poor bastards took these mags to Iraq 4 years ago. I'd like to avoid deploying with them myself (the mags, not the unit).

ucrt
06-20-10, 00:28
The latest USGI Mag has a Magpul Follower. The USGI Follower is not green anymore, it is Tan and it is made by MagPul. The DSG Arms Mags come with the Tan Follower.

FYI - From the DSG Arms (http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MA-02DSGG10.aspx)site:
30 round capacity Grey teflon coated, aluminum construction with a hard anodized finish. Teflon impregnated Dark Earth, anti-tilt follower from MAGPUL Industries. Corrosion resistant, stainless steel spring. Currently offered as an off-the-shelf replacement for national stock number ( NSN ) 1005-00-921-5004 and PN's 8448670 , 62328 and CF62328.

Avenger29
06-20-10, 01:15
Sounds like a "rouge hammer" needs to visit the armory...you know, to take it's vengeance on shitty magazines...it should be able to run amok for a while before it's subdued...

Harry Delbado
07-29-10, 14:31
PMags. Which ones are better overall? The ones with the window or without? I see they are only a few dollars difference in price and both have the anit-tilt follower. What are your thoughts.

GermanSynergy
07-29-10, 14:42
Black PMAGs.... W/O window. NSN 1005-01-5765159

Thank you for your service- be safe out there.

ForTehNguyen
07-29-10, 14:47
not really a reason to need the window, rather have the regular ones. I got a few just for some tacticool

Harry Delbado
07-29-10, 14:55
Yeah, I figured there was no difference except the window but wanted to make sure. I just purchased an M4 (sold my Colt "preban" Sporter HBAR several years back)stupid. I plan on buying a few different mags to see what works best with my M4.