PDA

View Full Version : Difference between US and Canadian Colt 6920's?

Beat Trash
06-17-10, 15:42
Can anyone advise if there is any difference between Colt 6920's made in Canada and those made in the US? Specifically, are the barrels the same. I have read various references to Colt Canada using hammer forged barrels. Is this true? If so, can anyone advise if the US made guns using hammer forged barrels also?

I bought a US made Colt 6920 in early 2005. I liked it enough that I bought 2 more in December 2006, with the intention of setting them aside for my kids. One of the guns was backordered. When it arrived, it said "made in Canada". The guns were purchased from a police supply company (individual officer purchase).

At that time I was not aware of Colt buying out Diameco and forming Colt Canada. I called Colt and was told there was no difference in the guns. The US made guns were supposed to go to individual officer purchases, and the Canadian made guns were supposed to go to agency purchases.

I haven't shot the Canadian made gun, other than to sight it in. Is there any real difference between the barrels of the two companies?

The only differences I can see is the markings on the Canadian barrel are laser etched vs. stamped, and marked "CC MP 5.56 NATO" vs. the US barrels being stamped "C MP 5.56 NATO".

ALCOAR
06-17-10, 16:52
First hand i know the 6520s that Ive seen are the same as the CT. colts.....I'm almost sure they are all the same as well.

Pumpkinheaver
06-17-10, 18:27
If colt says they are the same than I would have to buy what they say.

Failure2Stop
06-17-10, 20:05
Oddly, about 25% of our issued M4s are Diemaco uppers.

sinister
06-17-10, 21:07
Your Colt Canada - Diemaco will have a hammer-forged barrel. I'd trade you for it. :)

Belmont31R
06-17-10, 21:11
Oddly, about 25% of our issued M4s are Diemaco uppers.

The M249's in my unit had the Canadian flag, and said "CANADA" on them. Not sure what that was about...

jaygee
06-17-10, 22:25
About a year and a half ago, I had a Colt Canadian 6920LE, which was all Canadian, and brand new.
The lower and lower extension were made on a different CNC program than the Colt Hartford models
and the lower itself appeared to be a little more crudely finished. I never fired the weapon, although
it seemed to function test just fine. I've decided that I'm going to stick with the US made pieces, and
leave the Canadians for the collectors.

Whootsinator
06-17-10, 22:32
The M249's in my unit had the Canadian flag, and said "CANADA" on them. Not sure what that was about...

Well that's certainly interesting. I never would have expected that...

MarshallDodge
06-17-10, 23:31
The Canadian Colts have maple leafs images in the chrome lined barrels. You have to look really close. ;)

Beat Trash
06-18-10, 02:04
The Canadian Colts have maple leafs images in the chrome lined barrels. You have to look really close. ;)

Got it...

Thanks...

JoshNC
06-18-10, 23:11
Your Colt Canada - Diemaco will have a hammer-forged barrel. I'd trade you for it. :)

is this true of all the Colt Canada rifles? I've long wondered if these used CHF barrels.

MarkG
06-18-10, 23:23
About a year and a half ago, I had a Colt Canadian 6920LE, which was all Canadian, and brand new.
The lower and lower extension were made on a different CNC program than the Colt Hartford models
and the lower itself appeared to be a little more crudely finished. I never fired the weapon, although
it seemed to function test just fine. I've decided that I'm going to stick with the US made pieces, and
leave the Canadians for the collectors.

How was the rifle 922r compliant?

Tom Swift
06-19-10, 10:48
The Canadian rifles are delivered with a bottle of maple syrup!

DMR
06-19-10, 11:01

One of my contacts at Colt told me they are making barrels and other parts for the M-249. Since their hammer forgeing gear is in Canada......

Slinger646
06-19-10, 13:19
At last check of the Tactical Exchange Rate, the Canadian Colt is .027587 less tactical than the American Colt.

You also lube it with maple syrup and the little aim-point condoms are called Tuques.

Sorry.

KingsideRook
06-19-10, 14:05
At last check of the Tactical Exchange Rate, the Canadian Colt is .027587 less tactical than the American Colt.

You also lube it with maple syrup and the little aim-point condoms are called Tuques.

Sorry.

I laughed. I recall that it was not all to many years ago that the Diemaco (now Colt Canada) hammer forged M16/M4 barrels were the unobtanium barrel of legend. I lusted after those Canadian Colts on a near-weekly basis.

Thankfully, now we have BCM and Daniel Defense Hammer-Forged barrels, and we can get them in midlength. Not that I'd say no to a Canadian Colt as a collector's item, if it could be legally acquired in the states, but I suspect there's no getting around the 922(r) requirement on that one.

jaygee
06-19-10, 19:55
My 6920LE Canadian was compliant because it first went to an LE supply company. The dept. which
had placed the order cut back on the quantity they needed and three Canadians became available for
individual sale. My dealer bought two of these for a local customer (in LE, BTW) He then offed one of
these to me. Even if it is NOT compliant, that is not longer an issue, as I traded the piece off about
nine months ago.

MarkG
06-20-10, 00:37
My 6920LE Canadian was compliant because it first went to an LE supply company. The dept. which
had placed the order cut back on the quantity they needed and three Canadians became available for
individual sale. My dealer bought two of these for a local customer (in LE, BTW) He then offed one of
these to me. Even if it is NOT compliant, that is not longer an issue, as I traded the piece off about
nine months ago.

Interesting to hear that LE "supply companies" are exempt from importation laws and regulations.

Beat Trash
06-20-10, 11:25
I never gave it any thought, but would a Colt LE6920 made in Canada have some collector appeal?

To me, it means nothing so long as the Canadian made gun is equal to my US made guns.

BillBond
06-20-10, 20:03
but would a Colt LE6920 made in Canada have some collector appeal?

There does seem to be a fair amount of Colt fans that want a canadian colt.

:cool:

Mjolnir
06-21-10, 10:07
I brought this up to the Colt reps at SHOT 2006 (why don't Colt use cold hammer forged barrels, ferritic nitrocarburization, gas pistons, etc., to shut down the complaints against Colt - and by default HK Defense). I was told that the barrels are used interchangeably depending on availability. How true this is I do not know. I do suspect that during the horrible run-up to the last election and for several months afterward parts WERE used interchangeably. Just a guess; assuming the info I was provided in '06 was correct at all.

ArcticMan
06-27-10, 11:18
I recently bought one of those "Canadian" Colts with my Colt Armorer's discount. During the Colt Armorer Course the Colt rep said that the Canadian 6920s had hammer forged barrels and that was the only real difference between the American and Canadian Colts.

That being said; my training and experience tells me that hammer forged and chrome lined barrels are the way to go! I'm not sure about collect-ability of the guns (I don't collect guns, I shoot them), but my Canadian built Colt is a nice rifle. I have 2 other Colt M4s and I can not detect any difference in quality between them.

HKJUNKY77
07-12-10, 12:41
I just picked up an unfired 6920 manufactured in 07. The weird thing about it is the BCG and the upper receiver has the Diameco sylized "D" in place of the "C". Everything else, including the barrel, looks U.S. made. I'm trying to figure this one out.

emfourbinator
07-12-10, 13:07
My Colt 6920 had a Diemaco upper right from the factory, and it was a US weapon. Also seen loose
Diemaco BCGs for sale at local shows. Going to guess that Colt may have brought in numbers of
these parts to augment their own production from time to time, as there was a need.

HKJUNKY77
07-12-10, 17:10
I was getting worried. I thought I may have gotten ripped off, but I guess not. Talk about stressing!

DocMinster
07-13-10, 20:22
my 07 made 6920 upper is stamped Diemaco....ALSO which I havent heard anyone say in this thread ...on the upper just above my barrel nut but below the picatinny rail its stamped "M4"...So I just assumed that my 6920 was made in the same plant with the military M4's because of the "M4" marking and the Military Bolt carrier.

I too would like to know the low down as I was under the impression that (form talking to Colt ) "all U.S. made rifles were civilian made rifles and the Canada made rifles ...Military rifles were made on one side of the plant and LE on the other side "

So I am confused.... :confused: absolute clarification would be MUCH appreciated.

Luckystiff
07-13-10, 23:49
My department ended up with 3 6921's made in Canada. The color on the upper and lower is more gray/green, the shape of the grip is just a little bit different. The handgards and stock look just like US made. Barrel, bolt and carrier are marked "D" vs. "C".

6921 = Semi only 14.5 inch M4.

Here are some pics.
http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/Untitled_013.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/Untitled_008.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/Untitled_011.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/Untitled_012.jpg
http://www.hunt101.com/data/548/medium/Untitled_009.jpg

jaygee
07-14-10, 16:25
The engraving on that lower is just a smidge thinner than what I have on my US M4LE, and is totally
consistent with what was on my Canadian 6920LE from a while back. I'm willing to bet that you'll
also find some subtle differences in the machining patterns with a contemporary US lower.