PDA

View Full Version : SBR Pros and Cons?

djegators
06-17-10, 21:12
I have been going back and forth for several months on going SBR or not. I guess I don't have a specific NEED, I am not a LEO/MIL, and I won't likely be clearing buildings anytime soon. But I do like ARs a lot, and it would be a nice variation to add to the collection, and looks like it would be fun to shoot. Anyways, I am working on pros and cons, and would like some input.

Here is what I have so far:

Pros: fun, cool, good SHTF tool, adds variety to collection

Cons: cost more, registered, loud, the waiting.

Also interested in opinions on buying a factory registered lower, registering a currently owned lower, or building a lower. I suppose buying a complete rifle is an option as well.

And, I have almost definitely decided on going NFA trust route via experienced atty, but wouldn't mind opinions there as well.

Iraqgunz
06-17-10, 22:32
Have you read through the various threads here in the NFA area?

There really aren't any "cons" per se aside from the extra cost. You don't need to have a need. The right to keep and bear arms is a constitutional right and having NFA items should be available to all citizens.

I have been going back and forth for several months on going SBR or not. I guess I don't have a specific NEED, I am not a LEO/MIL, and I won't likely be clearing buildings anytime soon. But I do like ARs a lot, and it would be a nice variation to add to the collection, and looks like it would be fun to shoot. Anyways, I am working on pros and cons, and would like some input.

Here is what I have so far:

Pros: fun, cool, good SHTF tool, adds variety to collection

Cons: cost more, registered, loud, the waiting.

Also interested in opinions on buying a factory registered lower, registering a currently owned lower, or building a lower. I suppose buying a complete rifle is an option as well.

And, I have almost definitely decided on going NFA trust route via experienced atty, but wouldn't mind opinions there as well.

Irish
06-17-10, 22:34
There may be a day you need to clear your own building. ;)

djegators
06-17-10, 22:36
Have you read through the various threads here in the NFA area?

There really aren't any "cons" per se aside from the extra cost. You don't need to have a need. The right to keep and bear arms is a constitutional right and having NFA items should be available to all citizens.

Yes, I have read many threads here and elsewhere. And I am with ya completely on the RKBA, probably more so than most gun owners even.

Ok, a more precise question for you. How bad is the noise? One thing I keep coming up with is how loud SBR ARs are. I take people at their word, but at the same time, well, guns make noise and I expect that. The idea of a suppressed SBR AR is very appealing...

99HMC4
06-17-10, 22:50
Noise should not be an issue when trying to decide on a weapon. That being the case I think my SCAR with the PWS brake is louder than my 11.5" BCM with an A2. ive shot my SBR without ear muffs several times. Not bad but not good either. Im also used to shooting 7.62x51 carbines and my 50 BMG. Noise and recoil are over rated. SBRs are fine in the nosie area for me. You could always spend another $200 for a suppressor stamp. Or just man up for some noise..... :)

Iraqgunz
06-17-10, 23:10
I shoot outdoors so I don't notice it as much. I also shoot mine suppressed most of the time as well. I highly encourage you to go that route, if you can.

Yes, I have read many threads here and elsewhere. And I am with ya completely on the RKBA, probably more so than most gun owners even.

Ok, a more precise question for you. How bad is the noise? One thing I keep coming up with is how loud SBR ARs are. I take people at their word, but at the same time, well, guns make noise and I expect that. The idea of a suppressed SBR AR is very appealing...

msr
06-17-10, 23:22
I always shoot with hearing protection so the noise difference is irrelevant.

WEC
06-17-10, 23:58
I always shoot with hearing protection so the noise difference is irrelevant.

+1. There are some combinations of barrel length/muzzle device which may amplify the perceived noise but it's a moot point in the grand scheme of things. The only time I really notice a huge difference is when shooting indoors. Even then, with proper hearing protection, it's a relative non-issue. SBR is definitely the way to go. I suppose another con is that NFA items are extremely addictive. Or is it a pro? Take it as you will...

Velcro
06-18-10, 00:33
To my knowledge, there was no NFA weapon that was effected by the 94 AWB, also, before they get more liberal with even owning them, they are going to get way more restrictive (IMO), so really I think that as a citizen, with the means, you should make it a point to aquire one through the correct system and method as to contribute to the justification that there should be less laws for law abiding people!

With the NFA wpn systems, you can always have the ability to take them off the registery when you want to.

the biggest con to me is that you are pretty much bound to State regulations about transporting them as well as you cant carry them like you can a non NFA weapon...I mean I would like to carry my K gun around...why, because I could!

Velcro

dbrowne1
06-18-10, 11:58
To my knowledge, there was no NFA weapon that was effected by the 94 AWB

I'm going on memory here, but I'm pretty sure that the 94-04 AWB - a period that I refer to as "the dark ages" - did in fact affect SBRs and SBSs. If I remember right, there was a ruling or ATF letter that said you could not manufacture a new SBR or SBS that had more than the requisite number of evil features under the AWB, notwithstanding the fact that they were NFA items.

This did NOT affect machineguns, obviously, since those all had to have been made before May of 1986 anyway.

ST911
06-18-10, 12:22
Pros... SBRs are lighter, fast handling, easier to maneuver within spaces and vehicles, and are easier to transport discreetly.

Cons... One must be attentive to effects on terminal performance. They bring added expense and regulatory procedures. You can't loan them to a buddy like non-NFAs. If you travel, they may not be lawful at in-transit and destination locations.

There are others of each, but those will be the most often identified.

Todd.K
06-18-10, 14:14
The cons are only if it's your only AR/carbine.
Paperwork to take out of state, (some peoples) fear of using for SD, cost, wait, limited range.

If you have a good quality 16" AR in the safe getting an SBR is just a matter of do you want it and can you afford it.

djegators
06-18-10, 18:56
The cons are only if it's your only AR/carbine.
Paperwork to take out of state, (some peoples) fear of using for SD, cost, wait, limited range.

If you have a good quality 16" AR in the safe getting an SBR is just a matter of do you want it and can you afford it.

Thanks Todd...considering these are in my safe, looks like I have plenty of 16" quality!:D...thanks to you Noveske guys, great rifles, well worth the $$$.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33esxth.jpg

Thanks to everyone else for the replies, as if I wasn't convinced before, I am now, and will likely begin the process of getting a trust setup and acquiring a lower.