PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Muzzle Brake: Easy enough for a n00b?

masternave
06-18-10, 08:35
I just bought a Rainier arms brake, and I would love to spend some quality time with it this weekend. Difficulty is, my gunsmiths are about an hour away from my house. So the question is raised: I have the DPMS AR tool, which has that nice little socket that fits the birdcage, but is it safe/wise for me to go ahead and remove my old A2, and install the new device by myself, or should I be patient and take it to a pro? I'm a bit concerned as it is the end of my barrel.

(I did google and search the forums, information on this particular process is rather light compared to most AR mods)

Thanks in advance. Good hunting.

Edit: The rifle in question, just for grins. (It's my first, and I can't stop posting it. :-D )

http://i.imgur.com/6URmn.jpg

MarkG
06-18-10, 08:59
Your existing muzzle device is timed with a peel washer. Peel washers are a pain in the ass and ugly to boot. If your new device came with a crush washer you should be fine doing it yourself.

ALCOAR
06-18-10, 12:52
The XTC comes with a crush washer so like the gent above said its much easier to time and then get properly tightened.

Your existing a2 f/h should pop off easily and you dont need the dpms tool, just get the proper wrench and you should even be able to rest the gun in b/t your thighs and secure it while you work on the f/h.

The xtc goes on most likely with the same wrench you took the a2 f/h off with and if it is the proper one it will not leave marring on the new xtc. Just remember to properly time any brake or comp.

eta...I live in Hoover if your close:) Its really a breeze, just take your time and be methodical about it.

Nice gun by the way, I don't blame you for wanting to do it right:)

masternave
06-18-10, 20:26
Just installed it... thanks for the advice. I think I may have torqued my FSB slightly (or the barrel, gasp,) or that might have just been like that the whole time. I'm not sure. It's not enough to worry me, just enough for my OCD to kick in. I hope I get some free time this weekend to give it a shot, pun intended.

ROGOPGEAR
06-18-10, 23:10
Just installed it... thanks for the advice. I think I may have torqued my FSB slightly (or the barrel, gasp,) or that might have just been like that the whole time. I'm not sure. It's not enough to worry me, just enough for my OCD to kick in. I hope I get some free time this weekend to give it a shot, pun intended.

good job, you've taken the first step towards the liberating realization that manufacturers, gunsmiths, etc. do not have magical intuition, gold lined tools, or an ethereal skillset that is unattainable to the masses.

ALCOAR
06-18-10, 23:28
good job, you've taken the first step towards the liberating realization that manufacturers, gunsmiths, etc. do not have magical intuition, gold lined tools, or an ethereal skillset that is unattainable to the masses.

To add to that point....you liberated that belief that a stock AR is better than a properly config'd aftermarket AR....it amazes me to see the amt. of folks that believe colt or really whoever sends them as good as they can be built....colt actually builds them to the military's min. specs:D

masternave
06-19-10, 11:07
Oh I never bought the stock AR thing. :-D It started changing before I bought it. Thanks to this site, (which I lurked) and barfcom (which I now detest,) for about 4 months before I built.

ALCOAR
06-19-10, 13:42
Oh I never bought the stock AR thing. :-D It started changing before I bought it. Thanks to this site, (which I lurked) and barfcom (which I now detest,) for about 4 months before I built.

What you did was the smart thing...therefore the rare thing:)

shadow65
06-19-10, 15:19
Nice rifle. Barrel clamps are nice to have. It will help keep the barrel from torquing when installing the FH. I've done it trying to time the FH against a crush washer. Now if it seems I'm going to have to put a lot of torque on the FH to time it correctly, I'll sand the crush washer down some.
Dave