PDA

View Full Version : Dilemma choosing dot sight from newbie

Dr. Mike
06-18-10, 11:39
Hi all, could use some insight and advice on a new red dot scope choice and BUIS as well. First off, have been using a Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T on loan which is nice but very heavy, over 1 lb. I am looking for something lighter and less bulky and with better eye relief. The aimpoint H-1 seems like a good choice. I do not need the night vision or increased water resistance of the T-1 but prefer a reticle that has a dot within a circle instead of just a dot and I am not sure if aimpoint has that. Also, are scope covers available for the H-1? I have been also considering an Eotech, however, I have been told they are not as rugged and have a considerably shorter battery life. I intend to use my carbine for target/possibly some hunting and home defense so am not sure those issues are that important to me. I have been told that their reticle however does have the dot within a circle but have not been able to verify either one.

Additionally, I would like to add some folding BUIS but am unsure if I should get ones that will "co-witness" or not? What is the difference between full co-wtinessing and 1/3? I am not really sure even what that means and what advantage that would have other than not having to remove your scope if your batteries die? Or are there other advantages for longer range shooting?

Someone else recommended the aimpoint M2 but I do not know what the advantage of that over the H-1 would be either.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and if I did want to go with the H-1 and Larue mount, which one should I ask for if I wanted to full "co-witness"?

many thanks,

Dr. Mike

Irish
06-18-10, 12:00
Here's some co-witness info for you: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=17049

For additional info on most of your questions try forming your question in Google like my sig. Best of luck!

glen
06-19-10, 07:47
Hi all, could use some insight and advice on a new red dot scope choice and BUIS as well. First off, have been using a Leupold Mark 4 CQ/T on loan which is nice but very heavy, over 1 lb. I am looking for something lighter and less bulky and with better eye relief. The aimpoint H-1 seems like a good choice. I do not need the night vision or increased water resistance of the T-1 but prefer a reticle that has a dot within a circle instead of just a dot and I am not sure if aimpoint has that. Nope, Aimpoint does not have a dot in circle reticle available.Also, are scope covers available for the H-1? What kind of covers? They have bikini covers, and GG&G makes a mount that integrates flip covers.I have been also considering an Eotech, however, I have been told they are not as rugged and have a considerably shorter battery life. Shorter battery life, yes. There have been some issues but consensus is that current batch is much better, especially the XPS series. I intend to use my carbine for target/possibly some hunting and home defense so am not sure those issues are that important to me. I have been told that their reticle however does have the dot within a circle but have not been able to verify either one. Eotechs are well known for their dot in a circle reticle, but they have models that are dot-only and bullet drop reticles too, among others.

Additionally, I would like to add some folding BUIS but am unsure if I should get ones that will "co-witness" or not? What is the difference between full co-wtinessing and 1/3? I am not really sure even what that means and what advantage that would have other than not having to remove your scope if your batteries die? Or are there other advantages for longer range shooting? Irishluck73's link will give you lots of info on these.

Someone else recommended the aimpoint M2 but I do not know what the advantage of that over the H-1 would be either. M2 has a bigger tube, easier to sight thru in general but is bigger and heavier. H1 smaller, lighter, longer battery life, can be harder to sight thru than the full-sized Aimpoints for some.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated and if I did want to go with the H-1 and Larue mount, which one should I ask for if I wanted to full "co-witness"?

many thanks,

Dr. Mike

lllllll

opmike
06-19-10, 15:29
If I were in your shoes, I'd just do this:

Optic: Aimpoint H-1
Mount: Larue LT660 (the tall one)
BUIS: Troy if you want folding. Daniel Defense A1.5 if you want a fixed.

I seriously doubt you'll be disappointed going this route. I prefer lower 1/3 cowitness for reason already mentioned in the link above.