PDA

View Full Version : LMS Defense 2 Day Customer Appreciation 6-12/13-10 AAR

Bourneshooter
06-18-10, 13:39
LMS Defense 2 Day Customer Appreciation Weekend AAR

On June 12th and 13th LMS Defense hosted its “Customer Appreciation” weekend at their Facility in Fernely, NV. John Chapman was kind enough to let me attend as I had not attended any of their courses before.

Gear:
As Pat Rogers says, “The Mission drives the gear train.” Hence my gear setup on Saturday was different than on Sunday.

I ran the EOTAC Vickers Assault Gloves all weekend. Loved them. Maybe a little less padding in the trigger finger though.

Blue Force Gear SOC-C Belt with BFG Liner Belt
• Eagle FB for Glock 17/22
• 2 ATS Short Shingles
• ATS dumper
• Mayflower R&C pouch with CELOX Gauze in it
• Raven Concealment Phantom
• ATS flashlight/multitool pouch with Gerber multitool
• SOF-T Tourniquet in Mayflower R&C retainer
AR
• LMT 14.5 upper with perm attached Blackout
• Daniel Defense 12.0 FSP
• Surefire X300
• Aimpoint T-1 in Larue Tall mount
• Blue Force Gear VCAS with Mashhook on the front and ASAP plate on rear
• Magpul ACS stock
• PMAGS – Revision M and pre Revision M

Glock 19
• Surefire X300 w/ DG11
• LoneWolf Threaded barrel

On Sunday I ran my Ares Gear Ranger Belt with a Raven Phantom, Double Glock pistol Mag pouch, Single AR mag pouch, and Strider DB-L on it.

Classes:
LMS had this set up to have multiple roughly 1.5 hour blocks of instruction running at a time. The classes would cycle through for the two days. Looking at the schedule I choose to take several Carbine Specific classes as well as the “Vehicle Defensive Shooting” class taught by John Chapman.

First up was “Precision Carbine” Taught by Kevin Williams, Jordan, and The “CJL.” We shot starting at the 25, moving back to the 100 and then moved back to the 25. This worked on the fundamentals of marksmanship.
We then moved to the 200 and shot for about 10 minutes on some innovative steel targets that were being T&E’d using the popular VTAC Barricades. A blast to shoot steel with a T-1 and 14.5 barrel at that distance. Jordan let me shoot his personal AR with a T-1 and Aimpoint Magnifier. Now I must own one.

Next class was “Non-Standard Weapons Manipulation” taught by the same instructors as the first class. This covered all the possible malfunctions you could have with your weapon and how to fix them – barring needing spare parts. I learned a super fast way to clear the bullet on top of the BCG impeding the charging handle mess. This was a very good class and “The CJL” did an excellent job of breaking it down step-by-step when students had and issue with the procedure. After we got the hang of this standing we moved to prone malfunctions where your partner handed you a rifle with an unknown malfunction. Next up was one-handed double feed clearances. LMS taught a different technique than I’d seen before – and it worked!

Vehicle Defensive Shooting by John Chapman was next. After having to shoot a window out for a demo Chapman let us begin shooting. A lot of technique goes into this and I’m planning on taking this class sometime in the future. Best part of the class was when we were doing partner drills and my partner – simulated driver – climbed out of the car and as I’m trying to get out after shooting the bad guys he starts to try to get back in the car. Seems that bladetech doesn’t make their holsters like they used to and his belt attachment was still on his belt but the gun still located in his holster was in the car. The head of the screws actually pulled through the belt attachment and stayed attached to the holster.

I then got the chance to meet the internet legend Kel and finger some of the latest Gemtech toys. Will be buying a G-5 it seems with the new QD attachment system. I’m now the proud owner of a Gemtech Flag as well.
US Firearms Academy had some of their own “Battle Born” Demo guns (full auto lowers) with PWS 12.5 and 7.5 uppers on them. They were kind enough to let me run a few rounds through them. Very nice and smooth operating guns.

In the afternoon I took the “Carbine Fundamentals Tune-Up” taught by Todd Nielson. This class was the fundamentals in a fast pace. Todd covered various reloads, failure drill, transitions, as well as “safety circle/turning” drills in this class. After covering some basic drills we then shot steel from 100 yards with rifles and pistols for fun.
After dinner Chapman gave a brief but detailed lecture on lowlight tactics. This covered what to look for in a light, different techniques with the lights, etc. We then unloaded all our ammo and went into the shoot house for some hands on tactics with low light and no light movement. Todd Neilsen took my group and showed us how we lit up walls and ourselves unless we practiced good light discipline. Next we moved to a range and shot both long gun and handgun. LMS recommends the “FBI Technique” for pistol work unless you have a weapon mounted light. After seeing the practical demo of why the FBI Technique I see why they recommended it.

On Sunday morning “The CJL” taught a tactical tracking class. This was four hours and just showed us the very basics of tracking. Yancey Harrington joined us to provide humor and “spore” for us to follow. If you get a chance to take the 5-day class, do it. I’m planning on it as my hiking experience has been ruined now. Every time I’m going to hike I’ll end up following tracks now.

Due to having to work the following day I left after lunch on Sunday. I did learn a lot of useful tactics and skills in that day and a half though. Kudos’ to LMS for their support of the Wounded Warrior Project and putting on an excellent 2-day event.

Rifle Setup:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN0582.jpg

Shooting steel at 100:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN0576.jpg

Students Bladetech after it broke:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN0573.jpg

G_M
06-18-10, 16:54
That tracking class is through LMS? It sounds pretty neat, don't know if I'd ever use it on a two legged animal but surely a fun skill to acquire as I do go hiking :)

Bourneshooter
06-18-10, 19:23
Yes - per Chappy they will be having one here in NV this fall sometime.

John Chapman
06-22-10, 21:35
GM,

We will be doing the 5 day course in September or October. I should have dates locked down next week, and will post them.

Thanks
Chappy

mike_f
06-23-10, 12:56
Best part of the class was when we were doing partner drills and my partner – simulated driver – climbed out of the car and as I’m trying to get out after shooting the bad guys he starts to try to get back in the car. Seems that bladetech doesn’t make their holsters like they used to and his belt attachment was still on his belt but the gun still located in his holster was in the car. The head of the screws actually pulled through the belt attachment and stayed attached to the holster.

Students Bladetech after it broke:
http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/Mattlevi/bacon/DSCN0573.jpg

I was the unfortunate victim of the broken Bladetech holster. Still in the process of getting it fixed. I still can't figure out how it broke - didn't feel it catch on anything as I exited the vehicle. I've never used that particular holster in a vehicle before that weekend - usually use an IWB.

Luckily, LMS Instructor Josh Jackson had an extra left-handed holster for a Glock 19 that he was kind enough to loan to me. That allowed me to continue with the training - thanks Josh!

Also, LMS obviously did a lot of planning and hard work for the Customer Appreciation Weekend - I had a great time and learned plenty.