PDA

View Full Version : LMT 10.5" Set-ups

utarch00
05-30-07, 13:06
I have a LMT 10.5" and took it out for the first time this past weekend. It was a blast. Anyway, I was having trouble running Wolf ammo through it and now I am trying to figure how to fix it.

So, I am asking if you have a LMT 10.5" AND you can run Wolf through it, please post your specs so I can see what works. Also if you ran other ammo first to break in the weapon please tell what you used and how much of it.

Thanks in advance.

My specs:

Upper
LMT 10.5"
Standard Handguards from a Stag
LaRue rear BUIS
LMT BCG
CMT Charging Handle
Standard FSB

Lower
Sabre Defence Reciever
Stag LPK
Magpul Ctr stock
Stag buffer tube
H buffer
Tubbs ISMI Spring

shark31
05-30-07, 13:27
Does the bolt lock open on the last round? If not, use a standard carbine buffer.

C4IGrant
05-30-07, 13:59
First things first. LMT uppers are made to run with mil-spec ball (M855 in particular). Because of this, they have smaller than usual gas ports. Wolf is the most under pressured ammo on the planet.

So how to make it work? Well first, ditch the ISMI spring and H buffer and go back to a cheap $5 buffer spring and carbine buffer. Or stick with mil-spec ammo and keep the better spring and buffer.

C4

ashooter
05-30-07, 14:19
I have a 12.5" SBR that will not run SAAMI spec ammo with an ISMI spring and an H buffer, but will run with a std carbine spring and an H2 buffer.

I think those ISMI springs are a lot stiffer than most people think. That would be the first thing I'd ditch.

docsprague
05-30-07, 18:10
I had AR15barrels.com open up my gas port on my 10.5 to get 223 pressure ammo to work. Works great now. Mine would not shoot with a standard spring and buffer. But if I were you I would try going back to the standard spring and buffer before you have anything drilled.

Aubrey
05-30-07, 20:12
...I think those ISMI springs are a lot stiffer than most people think...

Yeah, but they won't shrink just sitting in the safe. ;)

ashooter
05-30-07, 22:28

Believe me Aubrey, I want that ISMI spring to work, but it's just been a no-go in the SBR's I've tried it in. I admit I have been thinking about cutting a coil at a time off it 'til I get it to work, though.

CarlosDJackal
05-31-07, 22:40
The fix is very easy, stop shooting Wolf crap-ammo through your SBR!! Why in God's green earth would you run the cheapest ammo you can find through a gun thaat you have already invested a lot of your hard-earned money in is beyond me. This is like buying an expensive Ferrari and feeding it fuel from the mom-and-pop gas station who bought all the leftover gasoline from the shady truck driver!! :confused:

FWIW, I've had absolutely no issues with UMC or S&B 55-grain ammo. YMMV.

utarch00
05-31-07, 23:17
To everyone with suggestions, I appreciate them and I will try them.

For those of you that are not making suggestions or have a problem with giving an actual answer to my problem please refrain from posting. Also I suggest that you reread my original post if you need any clarification. If I want to run Wolf, that is my choice.

ic_guerrero
05-31-07, 23:48
Here is what I have and what has worked for me.

10.5" LMT
Standard spring
Carbine buffer

Ammo that works 100%:
XM193
XM855
MK 262 MOD 1
Black Hills .223 55gr FMJ Red Box

Other types of Ammo and issues I've had:
TAP FPD .223 75gr - won't lock bolt after last round/FTF
Hornady .223 75gr Match - won't lock bolt after last round/FTF
Wolf .223 55gr polymer coated case - won't lock bolt back

I broke in the barrel using 60rds of TAP FPD and 300rds of Federal XM193. The FTF w/ the TAP and match rnds only happened on my last range trip. I don't know if it was the mags or the ammo. Which Wolf cartridge are you using? Is it the steel case or the brass case? I only used about 60 rnds of the wolf steel case and I would suggest that you stop. Short barreled ARs send a lot of shit back into upper and lower receiver and it is a ****ing pain in the ass to clean afterwards. YMMV.

Marco

dubb-1
06-01-07, 00:44
Sorry. I have an LMT 10.5, but none of my firearms ever see Wolf ammo. Why buy top notch gear and feed it bullshit?

dubb-1
06-01-07, 00:45
At least you'll get good malfunction clearance reps...;)

Robb Jensen
06-01-07, 04:55
My LMT runs on everything I've put through it including Wolf.

My gun:
10.3" LMT bbl, upper receiver (cutdown factory LMT 14.5" w/gas port work via Randall Rausch) I did run my 5.56mm NATO neck and throat reamer through it
Colt M16 carrier w/CMT bolt w/Crane O-ring
KAC RAS2 w/KAC foward grip
Aimpoint M2 w/LaRue RAS2 mount, LaRue BUIS
PRI gas buster CH
LMT lower receiver w/standard trigger
VLTOR receiver extension w/Magpul CTR stock
CMT H2 buffer w/chrome silicon standard rate buffer spring

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v408/gotm4/gunpics/b1cd205d.jpg

sencless
06-01-07, 08:03
No problems here with my 10.5" LMT and Fed XM193 or wally world special rem umc 223.

Paulinski
06-01-07, 08:32
While I haven't had a chance to fire my 10.5 LMT upper. Did anyone try Federal 55 and 62 grain .223 through their upper.

C4IGrant
06-03-07, 18:46

They also don't have to be changed out as much as standard springs do and you don't have to worry about your bolt not being able to strip a round off a fully loaded mag.

C4

C4IGrant
06-03-07, 18:47
Believe me Aubrey, I want that ISMI spring to work, but it's just been a no-go in the SBR's I've tried it in. I admit I have been thinking about cutting a coil at a time off it 'til I get it to work, though.

You can certainly trim them down (which is what I do sometimes).

C4

Adam
06-03-07, 20:57
I ended up trimming off about one coil in order to get my 10.5 to cooperate.

parker7777
06-07-07, 15:28
my lmt 10.5 has the standard spring and a h2 buffer and will not run on radway ammo. it has ran through about 2 mags of wolf without issue but that is not enough to say that it is 100% with it. It works 100% with xm193 and the surplus lake city 855. I may try a standard buffer and the radway sometime to see if it makes a difference.

VA_Dinger
06-07-07, 20:22
This set-up has worked for me on two different LMT 10.5" uppers. Both of them have been extremely reliable. To be honest the only malfunctions either ever gave me were ammo related (Bad primers in a case of PMC 55 grain).

- LMT 10.5" upper
- LMT standard bolt & carrier w/ Wolf HD extractor spring & CRANE o-ring
- LMT H2 buffer
- ISMI or stock LMT buffer spring
- HK or USGI mags
- Factory loaded ammo of at least reasonable quality.
- Keep it reasonably clean and very well lubed.

tiger seven
06-10-07, 17:49
Well, I finally got a chance to break in my 10.5" LMT today. I tested it with a few different types of ammo, one of them being Wolf .223. It fed 400 rounds of steel-cased Wolf .223 with no problems whatsoever. Strangely, the only ammo it didn't like was the Wolf Gold 5.56 M193, which has run flawlessly in my 16" carbine. :confused: When shooting it in my SBR however, it would fire one or maybe two rounds successfully and then it would fail to strip another round of the top of the mag; closing the bolt on an empty chamber. I tried a variety of mags (GI aluminum, HK steels and PMAGs) and the same thing happened every time. Other 5.56 ammo (Q3131, Q3131A, XM193 and some M855) worked fine, as did American Eagle .223 and some Black Hills. Everything worked great without a single malfunction except the Wolf Gold. Thankfully, I have another AR that likes it and I'm not stuck with a bunch of useless ammo.

So, in an attempt to stay on topic, here is my set-up which runs Wolf fine:

LMT 10.5" upper w/ Noveske KX3
LMT BCG w/ standard LMT bolt and M16 carrier
Standard recoil spring that came in my LMT lower w/ H buffer

In all, I'm very pleased. It certainly isn't the best ammo in the world; but I can't afford to shoot anything but Wolf in large quantities. :(

Derek

utarch00
06-10-07, 20:11
Well, I went to the range today and had some success. I borrowed a buddy's carbine buffer and spring and was able to run some wolf through it.

Thank you to everyone for there suggestions.

ChrisG19
06-11-07, 11:22
- Factory complete LMT lower with standard buffer and spring
- Factory complete LMT upper with M16 BCG

Run it this past weekend in a 2 day course right out of the box. Went through about 750 rounds combined of XM855 and Black Hills 55gr FMJ blue box with 0 malfunctions.

TimP
06-14-07, 16:13
use a standard buffer.

My 10.5 LMT doesnt like to run wolf without the can on it if I have the 9mm buffer in it. Runs fine with standard car buffer.

if I put the can on, it increases the pressure and it eats anything.

Rana
06-22-07, 18:45
First things first. LMT uppers are made to run with mil-spec ball (M855 in particular). Because of this, they have smaller than usual gas ports. Wolf is the most under pressured ammo on the planet.

So how to make it work? Well first, ditch the ISMI spring and H buffer and go back to a cheap $5 buffer spring and carbine buffer. Or stick with mil-spec ammo and keep the better spring and buffer.

C4

Ding! Ding!

Ding! Ding!

Not to be an ass; but why buy a Ferrari and put crummy gas in it? The LMT 10.5" CQBR is a higher end piece of equipment designed for SPECIFIC types of ammo. If you want to shoot WOLF I suggest finding a 16" BM or other recreational ready AR15 to blast away with. The longer gas system may suffice with the sub standard ammo.

The LMT 10.5" is not designed for shooting recreational/plinking ammo, it was designed for Men in the business of "Gun Fighting." And as such, recreational ammo is a no go.

M4arc
06-22-07, 19:48
I tried all the different ammo I could find in my LMT and all of it ran like a champ. That included Wolf, PMC, Georgia Arms, and the cheap Remington and Winchester White Box stuff they sell at Wal-Mart.

No matter what I fed mine it worked. Of course I don't run that crap but I wanted to see how it would work. My setup is as follows for your reference:

LMT 10.5" Upper
LMT M16 BCG
Noveske KX3
LMT Lower
Standard buffer spring
H2 Buffer
PRI Gas Buster CH