PDA

View Full Version : Some of the dumb things you hear at the range

CarlosDJackal
06-18-10, 21:51
Ran into a guy who I haven't seen in a while. Somehow the conversation turned to Colts. Turns out he hates Colts based on one he used to own a whole back.

He said it was junk because the 1:7 twist barrel would cause his 45 and 50-grain reloads to disintigrate. In his educated opinion, this is indicative of a "faulty barrel".

He also had problem with Wincherster White box not cycling in that rifle and that the other makes were better thn Colts. When I pressed him for an example he actually said: "Bushmaster!!" :rolleyes:

I ended up calling him an educated idiot in the process. :p I wish those guys would just keep their ignorant opinions in TOS.

jaxman7
06-18-10, 23:14
This post might have a lot of pages!

Carlos did you know the reason why some walmarts only allow a max purchase of 6 boxes of ammo at a time? Its a federal law. Well according to this guy who frequents the range I sight in my rifles at. Oh and this is the same guy who SBR'd a bolt action. 22 to about 10 inches and has a 10x scope on it. :rolleyes:

Ridge_Runner_5
06-18-10, 23:42
Bushmaster is definately not better than Colt, but I'd say that BCM, Noveske, LaRue and a few others ARE.

Avenger29
06-18-10, 23:48
Bushmaster is definitely not better than Colt, but I'd say that BCM, Noveske, LaRue and a few others ARE.

Let's also not forget that the type that CDJ posted about usually give you an open mouthed, drooling blank stare when you mention those makers...

I haven't had much "conversation" on the range with people...I tend to try to keep to myself, unless I see somebody shooting something really cool, then I'll chat with them a couple of minutes.

ralph
06-18-10, 23:48
Once when I still owned a PTR 91, I was at the range with some loads I was working up, (I was using surplus powder, and starting with rather conservative load) and was having a few cycling problems, I expected this.One guy down the row was watching, asked what was wrong, I explained, and he told me I need to "clean the gas chamber"......

tinman44
06-19-10, 11:29
Carlos did you know the reason why some walmarts only allow a max purchase of 6 boxes of ammo at a time? Its a federal law.

I was told by a walmart manager on duty that it was against federal law to sell ammo between the hours of 9pm and 7am.

jaxman7
06-19-10, 13:53
Yeh I've heard that too. I just thought it was funny he said that b/c 2 days before that particular range day I bought 9 boxes of 9mm and 1 of. 22 at Walmart.

I was told by a walmart manager on duty that it was against federal law to sell ammo between the hours of 9pm and 7am.

ForTehNguyen
06-19-10, 13:59
some dumb teens were criticizing my friend and me when we were just function testing an AR, not even zeroing. Making fun of how my friend was holding the rifle. How do I know? I have electronic muffs and could hear everything :eek::cool:

Told them next time if you wanna talk about people make sure they dont have electronic muffs because I can hear everything. :D

jaxman7
06-19-10, 14:03
Electronic ear muffs can come in very very handy on occasion. :cool:

GermanSynergy
06-19-10, 14:10
I was told that you could fire 5.56mm out of a 5.45mm AK74, because the Russians designed it that way.....:rolleyes:

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-19-10, 14:27
Try explaining a Noveske upper on a Magpul lower....

Ridge_Runner_5
06-19-10, 17:31
Electronic ear muffs can come in very very handy on occasion. :cool:

First time I used mine, it was weird. I was rapid firing my GSG-5 without realizing it, and could hear someone a few lanes down say "Oooh, somebody's gonna get in trouble!":D

dbrowne1
06-19-10, 17:53
He said it was junk because the 1:7 twist barrel would cause his 45 and 50-grain reloads to disintigrate. In his educated opinion, this is indicative of a "faulty barrel".

He's technically correct that a 1/7 twist may cause certain very thinly jacketed, lighter bullets to spin apart right after leaving the muzzle. More in the 35-40 grain range, and I'd bet this guy has never actually seen it happen.

I once had a guy with some monstrosity of an AR - it had one of those competition tubular foreends and all sorts of "practical" shooting doodads - comment that my LMT SBR was a "short little piece of shit." Ok, chief. Whatever you say.

rickrock305
06-19-10, 18:12
I haven't had much "conversation" on the range with people...I tend to try to keep to myself,

+1 to that!

dmanflynn
06-19-10, 22:28
+1 to that!

+2 to that:D It really does pay to just keep you mouth shut when their are ignorant mall ninjas at the range. Or where I'm at, the "well my daddy and grand pappy said so" kind of people:rolleyes: You can't fix stupid, so try your best to avoid haha

Avenger29
06-19-10, 22:32
Honestly, at the public ranges around here, I'm more preoccupied with not getting shot by Bubba and Leroy while they are sighting in their deer rifles (you know the type...they fire less than a box of ammo a year) than I am with talking with other people

DaBears_85
06-20-10, 00:32
(deleted)

CarlosDJackal
06-20-10, 12:33
...Carlos did you know the reason why some walmarts only allow a max purchase of 6 boxes of ammo at a time? Its a federal law. Well according to this guy who frequents the range I sight in my rifles at. Oh and this is the same guy who SBR'd a bolt action. 22 to about 10 inches and has a 10x scope on it. :rolleyes:

LOL. Actually, the Wally World salesperson I deal with the most told me that it was corporate policy.

CarlosDJackal
06-20-10, 12:43
He's technically correct that a 1/7 twist may cause certain very thinly jacketed, lighter bullets to spin apart right after leaving the muzzle...

Except he was actually adamant that it was an issue with the gun itself and that in his "educated" opinion, ANY barrel should be able to handle ANY ammunition regardless ofthe bullt weight.

I wish I can avoud these guys at the range, but since I am one of the club's RSOs I can't help but make contact with them.

He was surprised when I told him I only owned a single Colt product (a F/A converted pre-86 SP1) because he thought that I drank their kool-aid. I told him I look at the facts and take the opinions of such individuals as Kyle Lamb, Pat Rogers, Larry Vickers, and Ken Hackathorn with a lot more worth than someone who is just a hobbyist and takes his so-called "facts" from TOS (such as himself). That didn't go over very well. :D

Surf
06-20-10, 13:04
I am contemplating going to a shooting fair today, but this is one of the big reasons that I like to avoid such events. I don't know who often spews more garbage, guys like these, or worse some of the dolts who work at gun shops at these booths who are supposed to know their shit. I usually end up with a sore lip from biting it so much. :mad:

Dunderway
06-20-10, 13:12
POP-POP. "That's what they call a double tap. It's the first thing you need to learn."

I then look over and see a target on the 5 yard line with two holes in it about 24" apart, one at the lower left belt line and one barely contacting the upper right shoulder. :rolleyes:

Avenger29
06-20-10, 18:29
POP-POP. "That's what they call a double tap. It's the first thing you need to learn."

I then look over and see a target on the 5 yard line with two holes in it about 24" apart, one at the lower left belt line and one barely contacting the upper right shoulder. :rolleyes:

And here I was thinking that SAFETY, sight alignment, trigger control, and followthrough were the first things I needed to learn...silly me, I shoulda jumped straight to double taps, damn the consequences (and shitty shooting)

skyugo
06-21-10, 01:05
And here I was thinking that SAFETY, sight alignment, trigger control, and followthrough were the first things I needed to learn...silly me, I shoulda jumped straight to double taps, damn the consequences (and shitty shooting)

true..
though i have to say that the day i learned to double tap was about as cool as the day i mastered a manual transmission :D

Spiffums
06-21-10, 08:15
I told him I look at the facts and take the opinions of such individuals as Kyle Lamb, Pat Rogers, Larry Vickers, and Ken Hackathorn with a lot more worth than someone who is just a hobbyist and takes his so-called "facts" from TOS (such as himself). That didn't go over very well. :D

Was his response....... I got a higher post count than all of them combined!!!!11!!11!!1! :p

FromMyColdDeadHand
06-21-10, 08:25
Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words. Guy next to me at an indoor range at 7 yards has a brand new, clean, man silhouette set up. He loads his gun, carefully aims and nut shoots the Blue Man. Like barely made it on paper. :rolleyes:

No much to say...

Failure2Stop
09-08-11, 08:44
BACK FROM THE DEAD!!!!!
I had to resurrect this thread after the last few times I hit the range.
My local is manned by a guy that is the sum of all other "rangies". Decent guy, but so full of BS it affects my zero.

Pearls of wisdom from the guy:
.40 S&W is the best caliber because he shot at windshields with a 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP, and the 9 and .45 FAILED TO PENETRATE the windshield. Of course, he was unsure of the BC of the round after passing through the windshield :bad: with ball ammo. Of course, no mention of manufacturer or weight. But be assured, he is going to retest with "hollow points" to see if that has an effect.

There is no reason that an AR should cost more than $600.

Cheaper than Dirt provides the finest wares at the best prices.

The FN Five Seven is the finest pistol ever made, well, other than his POS .40 1911 complete with amateur grips and 10 round mag (or however many .40s fit in a 10 round .45 1911 mag).

Del Ton, DPMS, and Bushmaster are "high end" AR manufacturers.

Really wants to see a DPMS or BM produce a non-AR pistol. :confused: Yeah, I don't know.

All kinds of other stuff, but I don't want to be unnecessarily mean.

Magic_Salad0892
09-08-11, 10:11
I had a guy jumping at me being a racist for owning an AR.

That was weird.

Dave_M
09-08-11, 11:04
Comments like these are why I'm glad my Comtac's have an, 'off' button :D

GermanSynergy
09-08-11, 11:06
I had a guy jumping at me being a racist for owning an AR.

That was weird.

That's bizarre. Did he offer any explanation?

Magic_Salad0892
09-08-11, 12:34
That's bizarre. Did he offer any explanation?

Said it was because that gun was designed to kill Asian people, and that it was the rifle of the white man.

I was tempted to tell him that his AK was designed to end the capitalistic society of the west, but I wasn't about to get into that argument. He probably would have shot me.

GermanSynergy
09-08-11, 12:39
Said it was because that gun was designed to kill Asian people, and that it was the rifle of the white man.

I was tempted to tell him that his AK was designed to end the capitalistic society of the west, but I wasn't about to get into that argument. He probably would have shot me.

Funny. All of my Asian friends own and shoot the AR like it's going out of style. Guess they didn't get the memo.

Was this guy Asian, or a deranged white liberal?

DireWulf
09-08-11, 14:19
I was at the range with my AK a few weeks ago. It's my truck/tractor gun. Vector Arms Polish underfolder, Aimpoint Micro, Surefire Light on a VLTOR mount, Vickers sling, you get the idea...

RSO (Range Safety Officer): What the hell you need that damn thing for?

Me: It's my truck and tractor gun.

RSO: It's a goddamned communist piece of shit is what it is. I seen my buddies in 'Nam killed by those things. They ain't got no purpose in America. (Mind you, this dude can't be more than a few years older than me and I'm in my late 40's, but that's for another time.)

Me: Sorry you feel that way. It's a great gun and it's size works great for what I need it for.

RSO: Well, if I ever get on the Board I'm gonna recommend that those things get banned.

Me: Really? Does that mean we won't be able to shoot Mauser Kar98's at the vintage rifle matches and Garand shoots too? I mean, those rifles killed GI's in WWII didn't they?

RSO: That's not the same thing. That AK was built by a buncha Russian communists.

Me: Well, my gun was built in Poland, a country that rose up against communism and is now one of our strongest allies in the war on terrorism. Those Kar 98's were built in Nazi run factories often staffed with slave labor. Which do you think is worse?

RSO: You shoot whatever you want, but them things are an insult to America and they ain't got no place at this range.

Me: Have a good day, sir.

Redhat
09-08-11, 14:35
DW,

That's hilarious...it sounds like most of my extended family! And trust me...you probably didn't even make a dent!:lol:

GermanSynergy
09-08-11, 14:38
I was at the range with my AK a few weeks ago. It's my truck/tractor gun. Vector Arms Polish underfolder, Aimpoint Micro, Surefire Light on a VLTOR mount, Vickers sling, you get the idea...

Me: It's my truck and tractor gun.

RSO: It's a goddamned communist piece of shit is what it is. I seen my buddies in 'Nam killed by those things. They ain't got no purpose in America. (Mind you, this dude can't be more than a few years older than me and I'm in my late 40's, but that's for another time.)

Me: Sorry you feel that way. It's a great gun and it's size works great for what I need it for.

RSO: Well, if I ever get on the Board I'm gonna recommend that those things get banned.

Me: Really? Does that mean we won't be able to shoot Mauser Kar98's at the vintage rifle matches and Garand shoots too? I mean, those rifles killed GI's in WWII didn't they?

RSO: That's not the same thing. That AK was built by a buncha Russian communists.

Me: Well, my gun was built in Poland, a country that rose up against communism and is now one of our strongest allies in the war on terrorism. Those Kar 98's were built in Nazi run factories often staffed with slave labor. Which do you think is worse?

RSO: You shoot whatever you want, but them things are an insult to America and they ain't got no place at this range.

Me: Have a good day, sir.

He'd be really confused if you made the attempt to explain the Soviet capture K98s. :laugh:

Those were "Commie/Nazi" rifles!

..or a Valmet. Made in Finland....

jklaughrey
09-08-11, 14:46
Had a few hours to kill on Labor Day before festivities with family. Took a quick jaunt out to a primitive range, basically a one lane operation. 3 black powder guys were already there. I just wanted to do a few drills and some prone with my 700. They said well we are going to be here..."awhile" emphasis on awhile. I said no problem can we work in a impromptu schedule. The guy said well we are doing cold bore shots. I could see the lawn chairs and ice chest full of Natural Ice...uggh! I said ok, how long between shots,nhe said well at least an hour. I was awestruck. I asked well while you are waiting can I set up a few targets and couple of swingers and get done before you "shoot" again. He said no. I asked why and he stated well we don't "safe" our weapons and if you go down there we aren't responsible for you getting shot. I thanked the hillbilly and took plate numbers as I left. Called it in to dispatch and they were picked up for DUI later that evening.

Usually people around here are courteous and willing to give you their shirt. I am guessing these folks were from a cave somewhere, or it could have been that Nati Ice giving them a case of the stupids.

DireWulf
09-08-11, 14:57
Guys, you have no idea the peaches we have at my range. I could write a book with the crap that spews out of these people.

"Colt 1911's are the best handguns ever made. Those plastic guns are garbage and the only reason the cops have 'em is because they're so cheap and the lowest bidder always wins." Pretty much the general consensus among these guys.

"John Wayne never needed no fancy red dot sights"
I swear, I heard this come out of a guy's mouth.

"Five goddamned rounds of .357 in my SP-101 is all I'm ever gonna need. There ain't no point in packing more than that. Besides, if your packing all that ammo around, the judge is prolly gonna think you was out looking for trouble and got some."
Genius. This man could replace Eric Holder.

Mauser KAR98K
09-08-11, 15:20
He'd be really confused if you made the attempt to explain the Soviet capture K98s. :laugh:

Those were "Commie/Nazi" rifles!

..or a Valmet. Made in Finland....

I had a WWII vet grill me once about my KAR98K when I took it to the range the first time. I had gotten it as my high school graduation gift from my parents. Told me straight up after looking at it: "You know that rifle killed American Service men, men that I served with in during the War."

I looked at it, then back at him with a sure face and said: "Nah, not this one. The "X" says it killed Russians."

He picked it up, looked at it, saw the "X", asked me if I was sure, then after a little mussing asked, "You got ammo for this. My kinda gun if it killed commies." Turns out he also went through Korea.

Had a few hours to kill on Labor Day before festivities with family. Took a quick jaunt out to a primitive range, basically a one lane operation. 3 black powder guys were already there. I just wanted to do a few drills and some prone with my 700. They said well we are going to be here..."awhile" emphasis on awhile. I said no problem can we work in a impromptu schedule. The guy said well we are doing cold bore shots. I could see the lawn chairs and ice chest full of Natural Ice...uggh! I said ok, how long between shots,nhe said well at least an hour. I was awestruck. I asked well while you are waiting can I set up a few targets and couple of swingers and get done before you "shoot" again. He said no. I asked why and he stated well we don't "safe" our weapons and if you go down there we aren't responsible for you getting shot. I thanked the hillbilly and took plate numbers as I left. Called it in to dispatch and they were picked up for DUI later that evening.

Usually people around here are courteous and willing to give you their shirt. I am guessing these folks were from a cave somewhere, or it could have been that Nati Ice giving them a case of the stupids.

Great call. Hopefully "they" lost their boom-sticks.

Guys, you have no idea the peaches we have at my range. I could write a book with the crap that spews out of these people.

"Colt 1911's are the best handguns ever made. Those plastic guns are garbage and the only reason the cops have 'em is because they're so cheap and the lowest bidder always wins." Pretty much the general consensus among these guys.

"Five goddamned rounds of .357 in my SP-101 is all I'm ever gonna need. There ain't no point in packing more than that. Besides, if your packing all that ammo around, the judge is prolly gonna think you was out looking for trouble and got some."
Genius. This man could replace Eric Holder.

This reminds me of the the Battleship admirals thumbing their noses at "them" Flattops.

Magic_Salad0892
09-08-11, 16:12
Funny. All of my Asian friends own and shoot the AR like it's going out of style. Guess they didn't get the memo.

Was this guy Asian, or a deranged white liberal?

White guy, who wished he was black.

''Hey Homie... that my briefcase?...''

Redmanfms
09-08-11, 19:00
I've been going on weekdays, very early in the morning to avoid the people who usually show at the public range.

Not something "overheard" per se:

My worst ever was having some local Fudd/Zumbo call the Sheriff's Office on me while I was shooting. We were the only people on the range and all of a sudden this county mountie shows up, walks to the other guy and converses for maybe a minute while keeping a weather eye on me, then swaggers over in "fierce cop mode" and asks me where the "machine gun" is. I told him I didn't have one, but he demanded to see all my weapons. I started pulling them out and when I pulled the SBR AK-102 clone out the other guy pipes up, "That's it officer." The deputy snatches it and demands to know where I got it. We go round for a few minutes with me explaining it was NOT a machine gun but a registered SBR and I had the tax stamp to prove it.

He demanded to see the "tax stamp whatever that is" and when I went into a manilla envelope (no shit, a big envelope), Deputy Dawg puts his hand on his sidearm. I very slowly pull out and hand him the stamp (which was the original because I had just received the weapon, dumb I know) and he ****ing rips it taking it from me. Rips it. I let out a cry like Bluto (ref:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI3nb9x5VhY&feature=related). Finally a supervisor shows up and they decide that, in fact, I was engaged in lawful conduct and leave. Naturally, no apology for being a threatening asshole and ripping my tax stamp.

After they left Zumbo goes back to shooting like nothing happened and I walk over to him and say, "With gun owners like you who needs gun bans" and mutter something nasty as I walk away.

Zumbo/Fudds have gone range hot with me downrange more than once.

Hillbillies have let their grubby, poorly behaved spawn run around like wild Injuns at this range.

I've caught hillbillies in the act of tearing up range equipment/ shooting holes in things that aren't targets.

I really don't give a shit if people don't like my black rifles (because a lot of them don't and are pretty vocal about it), but the behavior is so far beyond unacceptable.

Suwannee Tim
09-08-11, 20:32
.....He said it was junk because the 1:7 twist barrel would cause his 45 and 50-grain reloads to disintigrate.......

I have done this with a 300 magnum and a 375 RUM, though never with a 5.56. I'm not a fan of the 1/7 twist even if you are not blowing up bullets. There are disadvantages to an unnecessarily fast twist. I understand why the military did it but my needs and their are different.

GIJew766
09-08-11, 23:53
A piece of genius from the range session before school started up with me and a handful of guys from the department...

Fudd: That there a 1911?

Me: Yup

Fudd: You carry that thing?

Fudd: That's a pussy's gun, son. Motions over to his stuff and the tigerstriped Desert Eagle. This here's my carry gun. A man's gun. Shows me his target with about half the rounds out of the silhouette and the rest scattered in the abdomen. I could shoot a man in the arm and kill him with this thing.

Me: My group is all calling back the targets with nice patterns of rounds in the chest and head Good luck with that, sunshine.

H

Smuckatelli
09-09-11, 01:14
Luckily for me he had parked his $60,000 truck behind the side berm and that made it real easy for me to take all the lug nuts off his wheels. Bet he had fun going home. Douchebag.

I'm not sure why you would post this on the internet. You realize that someone, maybe not your intended target could have been hurt by this?

Zumbo/Fudds have gone range hot with me downrange more than once.

Before I go down range, I make sure that everyone on the line is aware of this by getting a visual thumbs up that they understand what is going on.

Hillbillies have let their grubby, poorly behaved spawn run around like wild Injuns at this range.

I've caught hillbillies in the act of tearing up range equipment/ shooting holes in things that aren't targets.

Me thinks you may have an issue with 'hillbillies' not range SOP...just sayin...:sad:

JChops
09-09-11, 01:22
We usually bring a nice selection of NFA items on group outings—some exotic, some not—and we always get the real looney tunes rolling over to our area, hooting and hollering about some crazy shit they decided they needed to tell us.

Last time we had a truck roll up with a couple of pretty huge, mid-20s guys wearing full Multicam. They told us they were from "Seal Team Six" and they were back on leave.

After admiring our gear, they noticed we had a few RR MP5 variants and commented on how they were always their weapons of choice for "CQB missions in the sandbox." Nevermind the M249, Mk43, M4s, specialized Krebs AKs and other, possibly more plausible and current items scattered amongst our area.

They then proceeded to incorrectly name almost everything we had out and asked us if they could shoot everything. When we politely declined they went back to their truck and pulled out two semi Rock River ARs with Chinese rubberized ACOG clones and dumped 30 round mags into the dirt.

Boggles the mind.

BrianS
09-09-11, 01:44
A piece of genius from the range session before school started up with me and a handful of guys from the department...

Fudd: That there a 1911?

Fudd: You carry that thing?

Fudd: That's a pussy's gun, son. Motions over to his stuff and the tigerstriped Desert Eagle. This here's my carry gun. A man's gun. Shows me his target with about half the rounds out of the silhouette and the rest scattered in the abdomen. I could shoot a man in the arm and kill him with this thing.

Me: My group is all calling back the targets with nice patterns of rounds in the chest and head Good luck with that, sunshine.

H

ROFL. This is like something out of a Quentin Tarantino movie!

devildogljb
09-09-11, 03:44

same thing happened to me a couple of months ago except it was a regular employee who couldnt speak english too well . I couldnt stop laughing and asked to see the law or the their rules stating this. Needless to say i asked for the store manager and walked out with ammo.

Magic_Salad0892
09-09-11, 03:54
We usually bring a nice selection of NFA items on group outings—some exotic, some not—and we always get the real looney tunes rolling over to our area, hooting and hollering about some crazy shit they decided they needed to tell us.

Last time we had a truck roll up with a couple of pretty huge, mid-20s guys wearing full Multicam. They told us they were from "Seal Team Six" and they were back on leave.

After admiring our gear, they noticed we had a few RR MP5 variants and commented on how they were always their weapons of choice for "CQB missions in the sandbox." Nevermind the M249, Mk43, M4s, specialized Krebs AKs and other, possibly more plausible and current items scattered amongst our area.

They then proceeded to incorrectly name almost everything we had out and asked us if they could shoot everything. When we politely declined they went back to their truck and pulled out two semi Rock River ARs with Chinese rubberized ACOG clones and dumped 30 round mags into the dirt.

Boggles the mind.

Can't you be arrested and given jail time for lying about previous military history?

devildogljb
09-09-11, 04:05
Can't you be arrested and given jail time for lying about previous military history?

ive heard of it happening especially if your getting some type of perks, but mostly any one who does it should be worried about getting their ass's handed to them.

Suwannee Tim
09-09-11, 04:50

I don't know the statute but they don't go after casual liars. If they did they wouldn't have room to lock them all up.

JSantoro
09-09-11, 09:45
Did some trimming.

As a reminder, the Report Post button is the excalimation-point-looking thingy to the right of any post header. It takes less time to hit that and notify everybody with an :internetdustpan: to clean up that poster's brain droppings than it does to quote it and spend time thinking about the perfect clever response to post alongside it....which revisits the stupidity and encourages others to do the same.

I understand the desire to get one's digs in, but stuff like that needs to be reported immediately.

Chiding and snarking will draw staff attention if we stumble across it, whereas reporting such will indicate where we need to stumble over to.

QuietShootr
09-09-11, 09:58

Me: **** off.

FIFY.

I had that conversation at Camp Atterbury once, but it went more like the above.

Too much talking with an idiot.

DireWulf
09-09-11, 10:58
FIFY.

I had that conversation at Camp Atterbury once, but it went more like the above.

Too much talking with an idiot.

Oh, make no mistake. I was having fun with that guy.

SteyrAUG
09-09-11, 11:36
I was told that you could fire 5.56mm out of a 5.45mm AK74, because the Russians designed it that way.....:rolleyes:

Actually, it's the AK47 can fire BOTH the .223 NATO and the Russian 7.62 round which is of course why they won the war.

SteyrAUG
09-09-11, 11:41
and that it was the rifle of the white man.

Anyone who defines by race is himself a racist.

orionz06
09-09-11, 11:48

Ask him what he thinks about the Predator using the laser. :haha:

SteyrAUG
09-09-11, 11:48
"Colt 1911's are the best handguns ever made.

They are.

He didn't.

:D

Redmanfms
09-09-11, 21:21
I'm not sure why you would post this on the internet. You realize that someone, maybe not your intended target could have been hurt by this?

I very seriously doubt he rolled more than a few feet before a tire came off as I've seen that guy driving the same truck, but you are right, it was a dastardly thing to do and certainly nothing to brag about. Thank you.

Edited original post.

Before I go down range, I make sure that everyone on the line is aware of this by getting a visual thumbs up that they understand what is going on.

That usually works just capital unless somebody shows up while I am are downrange setting targets pulls a rifle out of their bag and starts shooting at crap on one of the backstops. Or they set their targets close and decide since they are back at the line and they aren't shooting at the backstop I'm standing at it's ok to fire away.

Again ref: hillbillies.

Me thinks you may have an issue with 'hillbillies' not range SOP...just sayin...:sad:

I thought I made that pretty clear. There is a reason I only go on weekdays in the mornings.

If you'd have seen some of the things that locals have done to Hite Hollow, despite the amount of money that Friends of the NRA and the Forest Service have put into it over the years, you wouldn't be as (pardon me if I'm mistaken) blase about 'hillbillies.'

You need to get out of Stafford and come over to the valley dude, then you'd understand.

Smuckatelli
09-09-11, 21:35
You need to get out of Stafford and come over to the valley dude, then you'd understand.

I've been on or run ranges from Asia to Africa to Europe to the Middle East. I do understand, that is why I posted. ;)

GIJew766
09-09-11, 21:46
ROFL. This is like something out of a Quentin Tarantino movie!

You can't make this shit up, brother.

You'd be amazed at the people who claim to be US Marshals or from one of the alphabet agencies on some of these ranges. We're just going to stop going to public ranges and use the PD's range from now on.

My roommate and I were literally just joking about this range trip.

H

Littlelebowski
09-09-11, 22:37
This evening at the NRA range in Fairfax:

You know what you're doing and you're safe but what if someone else tries what you do?

RSO's excuse to keep me from drawing from appendix. He is overweight, out of shape, and carries a 1911.

JSantoro
09-09-11, 23:05
Holy crap, is he new or something?

Smuckatelli
09-09-11, 23:29

Did you ever join the Izaac Walton range on 610?

Smuckatelli
09-09-11, 23:36
RSO's excuse to keep me from drawing from appendix. He is overweight, out of shape, and carries a 1911.

Too many RSOs take the "Everyone is an RSO" to the extreme. I've watched RSOs study for college courses. I've seen them shooting....

As to you drawing from appendix, sounds like the guy wanted to either be friends with you or he really had no clue as to what he was RSO'ing. Me thinks it was he didn't know. I know that I'm preaching to the choir but so what..:D....there are no gray areas on a range, if the rules & regulations aren't posted, and the RSO doesn't enforce them, it's probably better not to go there.

don't jump on me too bad, I'm on my 4th Czech beer....;)

Littlelebowski
09-10-11, 09:59

Nope but myself and a friend of yours and mine are working this up the chain.

St.Michael
09-10-11, 14:26
I saw this guy once who was way over weight but dressed in like the new bdu pants and newer boots and was zeroing in a rifle with a TrijiAcog. He kept yelling to his buddy how he was gonna zero the rifle like they did in the army. When he finished he was yelling loudly how impressed he was with how well the rifle was zeroed. They were shooting a target at 30 feet :(

I had never seen an Acog in person so I asked to look at it. I was sad when I realized this silly man had one and I didn't haha

devildogljb
09-10-11, 18:33
This happened yesterday when i went to a range located 10 mins away where i just moved to in Nashville. Its a very nice state run range RSO's do a good job. So a guy 25 or 26, next to me is shooting a ar like myself. He admired my rifle, asking me questions etc (he was definitely new to the rifle system i directed him to this site to learn, he had a cmmg). But out of no where his rifle sounds like he switched it to 3 round burst. He empties his mag and turns around and asks me if its suppose to do that. I inform him that its definitely not and i told him to stop shooting and call up cmmg or place where he bought the rifle to get it fixed and told him what could happen if he is caught with a class 3 firearm. He said it was probably nothing and said he wasnt going to worry about it. I again tried to convince him but didnt want to listen. I stayed another 20 mins and the rifle did it another 2 or 3 times. Now im just waiting to read about him in the paper. But i cant say i didn't warn the guy.

sandman99and9
09-11-11, 11:02
What range was that? I used to live in Nashville.

S.M.

devildogljb
09-11-11, 14:43
What range was that? I used to live in Nashville.

S.M.

It was at the stones river firing range