PDA

View Full Version : Which color loctite for screw on front Glock sights?

RAM Engineer
06-18-10, 22:13
1. Which color loctite?
2. What's the best way to remove a sight once it's been loctited in place in case I want to change it?
3. Anything else I should know before I ditch the factory plastic sights?

Thanks,
Jason

AmericanGunWorks
06-18-10, 22:20
I personally used blue on my sights becuase I change sights and wanted to be able to remove them if needed. Most will probably recommend red loctite though.

I just used the tool that ameriglo sends out with their sites to change the sights a second time.

Only thing I'd say is HURRY UP.. the plastic sights stink. My shooting definatly improved when I swapped sights.

opmike
06-18-10, 22:21
As far as removal, Blue can be broken free with some tools, Red is going to require some heat.

Pumpkinheaver
06-18-10, 22:27
Use blue unless you want it permanent.

ST911
06-18-10, 22:32
Blue.

Dienekes
06-19-10, 00:34
Blue is good enough. As to removal, the factory stock front is plastic and cheap, so I would just clamp down on it with a set of pliers and twist, then throw the pieces away.

The first (and only) thing I did with a G17 was to replace the stock sights with a steel front and Novak rear, and call it done.

The last thing I did with it was to trade it for two nice old Ruger Security Sixes...

Such 9mm shooting as I do now is with a Browning High Power.

skyugo
06-19-10, 01:29
will heating to remove threadlock damage tritium sights?

javentre
06-19-10, 06:13
Blue is good enough. As to removal, the factory stock front is plastic and cheap, so I would just clamp down on it with a set of pliers and twist, then throw the pieces away.

I think that newer Glocks have set screw in the front sight, from the factory.

cougar_guy04
06-19-10, 09:52
I've used blue on all my sight installs. No issues to date on any of the install.

operator81
06-19-10, 09:54
I use red on all my sight screws. If I need to remove them I just heat it up a little bit with a heat gun, add a little pressure and they come right out.

JeepDriver
06-19-10, 10:48
I've used red on all of my Glocks. I figured if I was removing them it would be to replace them. Not worried about damaging them with heat at that point.

DocH
06-19-10, 19:42
I think most people actually use and recommend the blue loctite.
I've always used the red. I've changed out the posts after several years on a couple of guns and had no problem at all removing them.
No heat required,just unscrewed 'em. A small drop is all is takes with the red,and they stay put.

Bob Reed
06-20-10, 06:58
Hello, the below is an old post of mine that I copied from the forum it was originally posted on. I Hope it helps in answering your question.

Quote: Hello, The purpose of this thread is to shead some light on the useage of LOCTITEŽ and Gun Screws.

I believe we'll all agree that the common gun screw is well under 1/4" in Diameter. So let's take a look at what LOCTITEŽ has to offer for screws up to 1/4" in diameter.

First, theres Blue No. 220, but, it's a wicking grade thread locker for pre-assembled fasteners up to 1/4" Dia., so, it's pretty much out for gun use.

Second, theres Purple No. 222 for fasteners up to 1/4" Dia., but, it doesn't meet certain agency approvals such as MIL-S, ASTM D, Ect..

Third & Thankfully, theres Purple No. 222MS, it's an easy removal thread locker designed for fasteners up to 1/4" Dia., and, 222MS meets the approvals of many differnt agencies including MIL-S.

So, going by the LOCTITEŽ Catalog, it sure looks like Purple No. 222MS was specifically designed for fasteners up to 1/4" Dia. and is the best suited thread locker that they offer for small gun screws.

What makes the Purple No. 222MS so much better for small gun screws? Well, it's viscosity was designed for small screws & threads (it stays in the threads during assembly), it's easy removalable (so it's helps save your screw driver tips, screw heads & threads), not to mention it was specifically designed for small screws under 1/4" Dia..

Clean & Dry your parts well, and always Use a primer when "both" surfaces are considered inactive, ie. Plated Parts, Anodized Aluminum, Titanium, Stainless Steel, Galvanized Steel, Zinc, Pure Aluminum, Cadmium, Magnesium, Natural or Chemical Black Oxide, Magnetite Steel, Iconel, Silver, Gold & Plastics.

Active Metals are considered to be, Iron, Plain Steel, Copper, Brass, Commerical Aluminum, ie. T 6061, Bronze, Nickel, Maganese, Monel & Kovar.

LOCTITEŽ 7471 Primer T has a 7 day on-part-life, and LOCTITEŽ 7649 Primer N has a 30 day on-part-life and is Ideal for cure conditions below room temperature. So, if it's room temp or above and your gonna install your screws in 7 days or less, use 7471 Primer T. If your in colder areas use 7649 Primer N.

BillBond
06-20-10, 09:26
I use purple.

:cool:

PLCedeno
06-21-10, 06:03
Red. The time to take sights off is when they reach there half life or before. Years down the road. I have taken the sights off four Glocks i was going to replace sights on and all came off very easily without heat.

ST911
06-21-10, 10:05
I'm not opposed to a little PM overkill on guns used for serious purposes. That being said...

I've installed hundreds of screw-on front sights for Glocks, all using blue loctite and a few using clear nail polish when loctite wasn't available. I can't think of more than a few that I've ever seen come loose when they were properly installed.

Yes, these include some hard-use guns.

Others?

dbrowne1
06-21-10, 10:15
I've always used blue (and just a tiny amount, enough to coat the threads but not a blob), on 3 or 4 of them, and never had any issues. All of these guns have plenty of rounds through them, including multi-day classes. Just make sure you clean and degrease the threads beforehand.