PDA

View Full Version : Do you find a long ruck harder or easier than a decent run?

mr_smiles
06-19-10, 13:21
Just curious if it's just me or everyone. I can haul a 60lb pack for 20 miles before I start to feel it in my legs, and can keep going until... Well until I'm ready to stop.

But running over a mile is a bitch, I start out at a good pace (6 minute mile) but after I hit about .8-.9 it's a bitch and my body wants to shut down.

Any one else like this? Or is it just me?

Also if you had this problem before and some how over came it, please let me know your workout regimen in doing so.

Cheers.

VMI-MO
06-19-10, 13:33
What pace are you rucking at?

PJ

mr_smiles
06-19-10, 13:37
On flat ground I try to stay around 14 min a mile or under, when going up hill it gets more like 16.

VMI-MO
06-19-10, 13:41
When you run is it your legs that go out or your lungs?

Regardless, there is a thread by Kyle Defoor that has alot of good info on running. Check that out.

PJ

mr_smiles
06-19-10, 13:49
Legs quit, thanks for the direction, I'm a bit on the retarded side having looked at the threads but managed to miss the one with "running" in the title :p

Again thanks :D

VMI-MO
06-19-10, 15:16
Legs quit, thanks for the direction, I'm a bit on the retarded side having looked at the threads but managed to miss the one with "running" in the title :p

Again thanks :D

Thats wierd that your legs, when moving less weight, go out.:confused:

PJ

mr_smiles
06-19-10, 16:17
Thats wierd that your legs, when moving less weight, go out.:confused:

PJ

Maybe I'm messed up lol. This is why I asked. I have little legs 28" maybe that's the problem (bullshit excuse I know). But I've seen smaller guys run.

variablebinary
06-25-10, 03:51
I can ruck better than I run, so I know what you mean.

QuietShootr
06-25-10, 05:34
Just curious if it's just me or everyone. I can haul a 60lb pack for 20 miles before I start to feel it in my legs, and can keep going until... Well until I'm ready to stop.

But running over a mile is a bitch, I start out at a good pace (6 minute mile) but after I hit about .8-.9 it's a bitch and my body wants to shut down.

Also if you had this problem before and some how over came it, please let me know your workout regimen in doing so.

Cheers.

I've always been that way. I prefer rucking. Even when I was 2 months past my 17th birthday, halfway through Sand Hill, I couldn't run worth a shit. Never have been able to. I could strap a 5-ton to my back and carry it as long as I needed to, though.

Did I mention I hate running?

QuietShootr
06-25-10, 05:35
Maybe I'm messed up lol. This is why I asked. I have little legs 28" maybe that's the problem (bullshit excuse I know). But I've seen smaller guys run.

Feh, I have the same problem. It isn't an excuse. We have to do twice the work to maintain EIB pace as a guy with a 34-36" inseam. They're striding it out, and I'm running.

chuckman
06-25-10, 06:46
I prefer rucking to running. I set a pace and head out. I put my mind in it's "happy place" and go on auto pilot. Running, to me, is a conscientious, deliberate physical act.

rifleman2000
06-25-10, 11:16
I hate running, I don't mind rucking at my pace, I REALLY hate running with a ruck.

rdbse
06-25-10, 12:52

Cheers.

You really need to start your runs at a slower pace and build into them. For a three mile run, try starting at 9min. pace and work down to 7min. pace.

By the way, I know plenty of stud runners who run the bulk or there mileage around 8min pace.

If you want to get serious about running, I recommend reading this.
http://www.fitnesssports.com/lyd_clinic_guide/Arthur%20Lydiard.pdf