PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Sabre Defence M4

DRich
05-30-07, 17:43
Yesterday, my wife surprised me with a new Sabre Defense XR15A3 M4 carbine as an early anniversary present. I'm primarily an AK guy and I've had a few AR's over the years. However, I was completely unfamiliar with SDI, other than their reputation for great barrels. It's a beautiful rifle with a deep, dark black finish and the upper/lower fit is perfect. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range, though. That will have to wait until the weekend.

In the past 24hrs, I've found a lot of good information along with some contradictory information about SDI, but most of it revolves around their barrels, stripped lowers or barrelled uppers...not complete rifles. Apparently, they are not produced in very large numbers since it took my wife over a month to find one and there is very little info on the forums about them.

I'd appreciate any input from owners of these rifles with regards to reliability, durability and customer service. If their rifles are as good as their barrels, then I'm sure I'll be a happy man for years to come.

M4arc
05-30-07, 17:50
I've been extremely impressed with everything I've seen from Sabre. Their barrels have a great reputation and so far the rest of their stuff does as well. We know that they forge their own uppers and lowers in house as well in an effort to control quality so that's a big plus in my book.

They do take a while getting stuff out but in today's market that's perfectly acceptable.

You're wife did good, REAL good. Congrats!

k_rasmussen
05-30-07, 20:34
You've been a good boy evidently

5POINT56
05-31-07, 10:46
Wonderful wife you have....she picked an excellent rifle out for you...their quality IMO, is fantastic.

UVvis
05-31-07, 11:01
I have a mostly SDI gun. I swapped out the bolt carrier with one of Grant's M16 carriers and used the SDI parts in it. Lower is a stripped SDI with stag parts.

Gun has at least 2000, more likely over 2500 rounds through it now. Only malfunctions have been caused by me. Shoots far better than me, as I am a lousy shot.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one, but my sample quantity is very small. I've heard of a few problems with some of them though, mostly assembly related. USMC03 might chime in on his as well.

DRich
06-02-07, 18:42
I finally got to the range today and the rifle went through 600rds with no failures. This was a mix of 200rds BH 69gr, 200rds Federal XM193 and 200rds of Wolf 55gr (lacquer). Took a while to get everything cleaned up when I was finished, but I'm a happy camper. I started at 25yds to get my Eotech dialed in, then moved to 100yds for the rest of the day. The gun is much more accurate than I am...especially with the 69gr loads.

I used USGI 20 and 30rd mags along with 4 new PMAG's. This was my first experience with PMAG's and I was impressed.

mikeinkc
06-03-07, 13:45
Pics brother!! We need pics!!!:)

DRich
06-06-07, 13:01
Pics brother!! We need pics!!!:)

Here ya go:

Just out of the box:
http://texbiker.com/pics/sd1.jpg
http://texbiker.com/pics/sd2.jpg
http://texbiker.com/pics/sd3.jpg
http://texbiker.com/pics/sd4.jpg

After adding a few extras:
http://texbiker.com/pics/sdi8.jpg

Dave L.
06-06-07, 13:37
That's hot...You have a great wife

mikeinkc
06-06-07, 19:12
Nice !!!

Thundercats Ho!!!!!!

9DivDoc
06-06-07, 19:58
Good wife

Excellent choice

Be glad of both

USMC03
06-06-07, 22:22
I have a mostly SDI gun. I swapped out the bolt carrier with one of Grant's M16 carriers and used the SDI parts in it. Lower is a stripped SDI with stag parts.

Gun has at least 2000, more likely over 2500 rounds through it now. Only malfunctions have been caused by me. Shoots far better than me, as I am a lousy shot.

I wouldn't hesitate to get another one, but my sample quantity is very small. I've heard of a few problems with some of them though, mostly assembly related. USMC03 might chime in on his as well.

Like UVvis, my sample quanity of Sabre Defense gear has been small.

I purchased a 1/9" twist, mid length barrel (16") and had excessive windage and elevation problems. The barrel was mounted in a CMT / Stag Arms upper.

Sent the barreled upper back, when I got it back it still had excessive windage problems.

Sent the barreled upper back for a second time and after a 2 month wait I received a brand new 1/7" twist, 16" mid-length barreled upper receiver with m4 feed ramps (Sabre Defense send me a brand new barrel and upper receiver).

I have been extreemly impressed with the fit and finish of the upper, and even more impressed with the way it shoots.

I was "on the fence" with my opinion of Sabre Defense. But after my last dealings with them, I am extreemly impressed with both their product and their customer service.

UVvis,

I haven't had hands on a Sabre lower, would you mind brining that gun down next time you shoot the PWSA rifle match? Thanks.

Semper Fi,
Jeff

UVvis
06-07-07, 16:38
UVvis,

I haven't had hands on a Sabre lower, would you mind brining that gun down next time you shoot the PWSA rifle match? Thanks.

Semper Fi,
Jeff

Jeff,

I'll bring it by. Mine is the stripped lower that comes with the different markings than what their complete rifles have.

Nick

RogerinTPA
06-17-07, 22:10
I have a SDI barrel, 1/7 twist, 16 inch mid length upper from talon arms and I'm very pleased with it. Very accurate. The wife did a great job in picking such a quality weapon. Thumbs up and keep em both!;)