PDA

View Full Version : Should I be worried-taper pin hole/punch

parishioner
06-19-10, 22:18
So I'm trying to drive out the taper pins of the front sight post for the first time, using every four letter word merriam has to offer when all of a sudden my punch goes right through the hole getting, driving out the pin and getting stuck. I managed to pull the punch out after a minute or two but having never done this, I'm a little worried that I could have made the hole bigger. I was using a 3/32" punch. I know the only way I'll know for sure is if I go shoot it but I don't know when that will be. I feel like its probably all right but not positive.

Someone ease my mind. Thanks.

MistWolf
06-19-10, 22:55
Do a visual inspection to check for damage. Use a good light and a 10x magnifying glass. Look for burrs, gouges, steps or other signs of damage. Basically you're looking to see if the hole is clean & round. You can test fit the pin to see if the fit is loose.

I cannot tell you how much damage is unacceptable short of the pin falling out after installation. A little bit where the pin will stay in during casual plinking may not hold during full auto fire in a hot firefight, for example

MarkG
06-20-10, 00:57
3/32 is way to small. There is nothing wrong with your FSB. I doubt you layed into it to much. Next time use a 5/16 to break the pins loose and finish them off with 3/32.

parishioner
06-22-10, 11:25
Thanks. Everythings good.

Uncle Alvah
06-22-10, 13:15
I bought the Starrett taper pin starter punch from Brownells for my pins.
Was about $18 to get it to my door, but well worth it, I think.
Also applied some PB Blaster to the pins beforehand.Seemed to help, surely didn't hurt.....