PDA

View Full Version : Del Taco Shooting Leaves 3 Dead

bkb0000
06-20-10, 03:43
http://cbs2.com/local/Murder.Suicide.Del.2.1761645.html

Del Taco Shooting Leaves 3 Dead, Including Boy, 6
Mother, 5-Year-Old Brother Clinging To Life
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) ―

A man opened fire on his stepdaughter's family inside a California restaurant Saturday, killing her husband and 6-year-old son, critically wounding her and another child, and then fatally shooting himself, police said.

The 56-year-old man arrived at the Del Taco restaurant in San Bernardino on a bike at about 1 p.m., walked over to a table and fired several shots at his 29-year-old stepdaughter, her 33-year-old husband, and their sons, ages 5 and 6, San Bernardino police Lt. Jarrod Burguan said.

"There was a very brief exchange of words, then he opened fire on them at near point-blank range," Burguan said.

The woman's husband was declared dead at the restaurant and the 6-year-old died at a hospital, San Bernardino Fire Department spokesman Steve Tracey said.

The woman and the 5-year-old boy were in critical condition at Loma Linda University Medical Center, Tracey said. The names of the victims and the shooter weren't released.

The woman's mother who was married to the gunman died several years ago, and investigators were probing what ties the gunman and his stepdaughter may still have had as they sought a motive for the shooting, Burguan said.

Police said between five and seven employees and several other customers were in the fast food restaurant, but the gunman clearly walked in seeking the four victims and no one else was injured.

Bullet holes marked the walls and glass covered the floor.

Owners of nearby businesses said horrified patrons streamed out of the restaurant after the shots were fired.

"I saw some people yelling and all of a sudden I heard 'boom, boom, boom, boom'," Jorge Garcia, who works at a recycling trailer in the same parking lot as the restaurant, told the Riverside Press-Enterprise. "I saw two employees run out of the employee door and then I saw eight or 10 people run out of the restaurant and across the street."

The gunman, Jimmy Schlager of Lancaster in northern Los Angeles County, had an extensive criminal record dating back to 1972 that included assault with a deadly weapon and a restraining order taken out by a co-worker. The suspect's last arrest was in 1999 and he was not on parole or probation.

Despite living an hour's drive away, the man had many ties to San Bernardino and once lived just a few blocks from the restaurant, Burguan said.

Burguan said the attack on the family was one of the worst crime scenes he could remember in San Bernardino, a city of about 200,000 people some 60 miles east of Los Angeles.

"This was something else," he said.

ah yes... the California Murder Suicide. a real classic.

who knows if these parents would have been packing heat if their state thought they had the right to defend their childrens' lives... but the simple fact that the state did not feel they had the right to defend themselves from this ****ing lunatic (just one of tens of thousands like him in that state, i'm sure), i really think some politicians ought to be charged with aiding the murderer. and every murder involving an unarmed innocent, for that matter.

swing them from the ****in trees. they've contributed to the brutal murders of thousands of people.

Iraqgunz
06-20-10, 04:11
This is also part of the reason that I am hesitant to visit my relatives. I have no desire to disarm myself because the Republik of Kalifornia will not recognize my 3 different CCW permits.

perna
06-20-10, 04:33
You know you can post on the GD board right?

ChicagoTex
06-20-10, 05:56
ah yes... the California Murder Suicide. a real classic.

Murder-suicides happen everywhere, I have no idea why you're so fixated on California.

who knows if these parents would have been packing heat if their state thought they had the right to defend their childrens' lives... but the simple fact that the state did not feel they had the right to defend themselves from this ****ing lunatic (just one of tens of thousands like him in that state, i'm sure), i really think some politicians ought to be charged with aiding the murderer. and every murder involving an unarmed innocent, for that matter.

swing them from the ****in trees. they've contributed to the brutal murders of thousands of people.

I think you're falling into the classic trap of assuming an instant defensive draw. I carry a gun every day, but if someone I knew and perhaps even trusted walked into a public restaurant I was eating at and started firing at me and those around me at nigh point blank range, I'm pretty sure all the Pro-2A law in the world wouldn't manage to provide me with a split-second draw while under fire.

Gun or no gun, these people had pretty much no chance.

clickclack
06-20-10, 06:04
this angers me to no end.. what makes someone decide to shoot shoot innocent people mainly CHILDREN i will never comprehend. as a father i hope this guy rots in hell for eternity while getting ass pounded by elephants...

VooDoo6Actual
06-20-10, 11:34
+1 to all comments.

imo, absurd, ridiculous & flawed ideology.

montanadave
06-20-10, 11:59
What's all the fuss about? People have been warned for years that eating fast food will kill ya.

uwe1
06-20-10, 12:15
Something similar happened in my neck of the woods where my family frequently goes to eat:

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/crime/article_f67132d8-795a-11df-93e6-001cc4c03286.html

Investigation of killing at Tucson Chick-fil-A continues

Tucson police continue to investigate the shooting death of a loan officer inside a north-side fast food restaurant last week, but after initially having a person of interest in custody the case appears to have gone cold.
Thomas S. Piazza, 39, was shot in the head Thursday morning by a man who walked up to him inside the Chick-fil-A at 4585 N. Oracle Road.
The suspect fled the scene on a bicycle, police and witnesses said.
Investigators searched a trailer inside a mobile home park about a mile from the restaurant, and also brought a man in for questioning, but no arrests have been made, said Officer Charles Rydzak, a Tucson Police Department spokesman. Rydzak said the man is considered a person of interest, not a suspect.
Police are waiting on DNA results and other forensic information, and investigators are reviewing surveillance video from the restaurant and other nearby businesses, Rydzak said.
There are no plans to release a sketch of the suspect, who was described by witnesses as being in his 40s or 50s with a stocky build, wearing a bicycle helmet and a dark windbreaker.
Piazza had been in the restaurant waiting for the start of a weekly breakfast meeting with a local Christian business networking group.
Investigators were looking into whether Piazza’s death was linked to his involvement in a mortgage and real estate scam that is the subject of a June 2009 civil fraud lawsuit filed by Arizona Attorney General Terry Goddard.

There is a kids play area in that location and families are always eating there. Admittedly, this appears to be a hit and not a random shooting. This guy had some shady dealings, but he did leave behind a wife and very young children. This news made me more resolute to CCW every day. I was getting lazy.

Irish
06-20-10, 12:31
What's all the fuss about? People have been warned for years that eating fast food will kill ya.

Really? :(

I feel especially bad for the children. Absolutely no excuse in the world for this to happen.

Dunderway
06-20-10, 12:32
a real classic.

Not to mention a violent felon free to walk the streets. Classic CA indeed.

tpd223
06-20-10, 12:52
I wish these douchebags would just off themselves instead of involving other folks in their bullshit.

I showed up on an active shooter, was a domestic where the ex husband showed up and kicked the front door in, shot the female half, her dad and her mom in the head, female and dad were DRT but mom ended up surviving.
I got there before he could kill the two babies and the little sister, he killed himself before I could do it for him.

I like to think this POS is sitting in an extra hot place in hell.

CarlosDJackal
06-20-10, 12:57
The article is false. They can't have these type of issues in a State that has that much gun control laws as Kalifornia!! I don't believe it for one moment. :rolleyes:

RIP to the victims. At least the POS saved that bankrupt state from the cost of trying and housing him.