PDA

View Full Version : AAR: MDFI Carbine II, June 20

Joeywhat
06-20-10, 19:12
Who: Joeywhat

What: MDFI Carbine 2

When: 6-20-10

Where: BWSA

Why: To become more proficient in the use of a carbine in a civilian capacity.

What I expected: Carbine I but with naked chicks and blow.

Seriously I expected a more rigorous drill set that emphasizes speed and proficiency in the operation of a carbine and a secondary weapon (handgun).

What I learned: That excersizing is fun when you get to shoot stuff when you're done. LOTS of movement in this class. Not just stupid slow 'prowl' walking either...getting closer to 'full blown' movement where we're moving to not be shot, not just because the instructor says so. Moving and shooting is hard...move faster, and it gets harder.

Not a lot of information in this class was 'new' for me. Rather the drills were pushing me faster and harder and to operate the rifle in a more efficient manner. Also adding in different movements and longer strings of fire for a much more aggressive drill. Transitioning from standing to kneeling to prone or even supine, sometimes will doing speed loads in between each, sometimes at 50 yards...moving from pivots, moving laterally from a target...a lot of different stuff from different classes, all mixed into one drill. There can be a LOT to think about in some cases. Need to get my mental game a little clearer, and also get my physical game in place as well. Being a fatass does NOT bode well when doing a couple dozen drills switching from prone to kneeling to standing, all while carrying 5 rifle mags, a 12 pound rifle, pistol and a couple pistol mags. Also did some sprint drills, basically sprint a distance and engage the threat when you're done running. Shooting a gun ain't easy when you're really out of breath.

Also got in some time with my redi-mag. I officially love my rifle and almost everything about it. Doing some minor changes soon and will probably be done with it. When I was doing it right I could swap a new mag into my rifle more quickly then I could transition to my blaster. SUPER quick reloads...more practice and I'll get it down even better.

What my next steps are: MOAR TRAINING! That pretty much sums it up. More practice at home, too. Practice is good.

Any other comments/critiques:
-Snake drill...booya
-Round count for this class (for me at least) was 1200 rounds. Yes, that is correct, over a case of ammo. I do believe most everyone else was in the same ballpark with those figures.
-I LOVE small classes. I've said it before, I'll say it again. 8 people today, so only one relay. Hence the HUGE round count. We really covered some **** today and the high round count helps for repetition and 'reality'. Let's face it folks, it won't always take two hits to put down a target.
-Wolf ammo works fine if you have a rifle that's worth a damn, some people didn't have such a rifle, and had a lot of problems. Easy fix though, usually just needs the chamber reamed.
-BWSA has a nice setup, it'll be even better once they do something with the ground. A little rough on the arms but still a nice place to shoot. Going prone on a rather large rock (or maybe a small boulder...) hurts. Thanks to them for having us.
-MDFI is good people. Steve is an asshole (:p), but teaches a good class, AI's are always great as well. Stan, Rick and Tom came out and helped out. Also thanks to Lancer and Slip for the mag and lube.

Gear:
Rifle was a franken gun with the following:
-Rock River barrel and bolt carrier group (BCG with nickle boron coating)
-Mega receivers
-Magpul UBR and MOE grip
-Aimpoint ML3 with ADM cantilever mount (possible switching to T-1 Micro soon)
-VTAC free float tube
-FSC556 compensator/flash hider

Pistol was an M&P 9 full size with TLR-1. All holsters/mag carriers were Raven Concealment.

Rifle ran absolutely GREAT during the class. As stated above, it recently had a nickle boron coating added to the entire bolt carrier group, and the hammer. I lubed it per usual before the class (basically a LOT of oil) and ran it without adding any more lube. That's 1200 rounds without lube or cleaning. Zero failures save for the very end...I decided to run some water damaged ammo (steel case) which had rusted pretty good. Did not run OK...first round got stuck and had to be pushed out with a rod. I'll chalk that up to ammo, though. Can't expect a very rusted case to run. All ammo run during the class was either Tula or Wolf .223 rem. As stated above, no failures, no lube, no cleaning. For those that think this stuff sucks, stop it. Gun was getting HOT, too. Cleared the gun a couple times and the round was too hot to hold onto. Hell the handguard was too hot to hold on to and I had to use gloves. If the Wolf was going to get stuck, it was going to happen today.

I'm undecided if I'll clean it and relube right now. I might give it a cleaning just to see how the coating does. I wiped a little bit of crud off with my finger and it wiped clean, I'm thinking I can give the entire group a cleaning with just a rag, then relube. At that point I might just let it be and see how long it goes with no cleaning.