PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS as a pocket pistol?

Drummer
06-20-10, 20:23
I did a search but didn't come up with too much. Anyway, I'm looking for a compact 9mm for pocket carry and keep returning to the Walther PPS. My concern is that it may be a little too large for comfortable pocket carry. The general consensus on the other forums seem to be that it is too large but I value the opinions here more.

So, is anyone here using the PPS as a pocket pistol? If so, let me know what holster you're using and the style pants you usually wear.

Whatever I choose will replace the J-frame I've carried for years.

Paul45
06-20-10, 20:37
I use a PPS 9mm along with J-frames. I tried the KT 9 but I did not like the feel. I had a Kahr but I did not like the trigger. My G26 is too wide for front pocket carry on my body frame but I love it and carry it IWB. The PPS is a little heavy but flat. I have over 3000 rounds thru it over the last 20 months. Always functioned perfect. I still carry the J's for coat pocket carry. It has been extremely dependable. I have shot it in IDPA BUG matches with some success. I have not tried the Taurus 709. It's about the same size / wt as the PPS. I like the Walther. DeSantis Nemisis with Jeans, Shorts and causal slacks.
It is a true BUG for my primary carry. It rides in my left front pocket. The mags are expensive but good quality - 6, 7 and 8 rounders. I carry the 6 rounder with an 8 round reload.

Thomas M-4
06-20-10, 20:42
Sorry it was a PP not PPS:(

Paul45
06-20-10, 20:47
Thomas M-4
Are you sure it was a PPS not a PPK? PPS's are 9's or .40's only. They have only been MFG for the last few years.

Shawn.L
06-20-10, 20:57
I have a 9mm PPS I will sometimes pocket carry in a FIST kydex holster.

Its too big for normal jeans, but will fit in 5.11 front pockets or other like pants.

Thomas M-4
06-20-10, 22:01
Thomas M-4
Are you sure it was a PPS not a PPK? PPS's are 9's or .40's only. They have only been MFG for the last few years.

Yea [smack hand on face]:o It was a PP not a PPS :eek::p Disregard my first post;)

ChicagoTex
06-21-10, 01:13
I've pocket carried my PPS every day for the past year. No complaints.

Drummer
06-22-10, 20:56
Thanks for the replies guys. It looks like the PPS is going to be the way to go. I just can't bring myself to take the Kel-tec Pf-9 or Taurus 709 seriously.

ChicagoTex
06-22-10, 21:01
I just can't bring myself to take the Kel-tec Pf-9 or Taurus 709 seriously.

Nor should you. The only pocket nines worth talking about IMO are the Walther PPS, Kahr PM9, and the Rohrbaugh R9.

For the record, prior to my PPS I did try to pocket carry a Glock 26, that didn't work so well...

Jerm
06-22-10, 22:31
I've been looking for a pocket 9 as well.Looked at the PPS just yesterday and decided it was too big for pocket carry.

Very slim,but still too big for it IMO.

I'm thinking of ditching the idea(pocket carry) entirely.

four
06-23-10, 11:58
I'm very interested in the PPS. what's the consensus on the preferred method of carry?

Jerm
06-23-10, 12:23
It would be great IWB as paper thin as it is.

I'm still considering one as a support side IWB BUG.

ThirdWatcher
06-23-10, 15:50
I carry my Walther PPS in a Galco Stinger holster: http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=3866&GunID=486

It can be concealed in a pocket, but it seems a little large for a pocket pistol.

BTW, the July 2010 MidwayUSA flyer shows some of the Walther mags to be $5.00 off. ;)

Hmac
06-23-10, 16:52
PPS is pocket-able, depending on the pocket. Best with cargo pockets, of course. I carry it in a thumb break belt slide mostly. I really like the Walther. It has been completely reliable for me over 500+ rounds of PMC Bronze, WWB and American Eagle. I didn't care for the Kahr, and the G26 is just too stubby.

If I want to carry a pistol in a pocket, however, I go .380.

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/125884589.jpg

Eddiesketti
06-23-10, 17:23
Have been thinking about the Walther PPS. Held one and liked it. That means i need to buy another caliber of ammo.

tb-av
06-23-10, 17:54
I've been looking for a pocket 9 as well.Looked at the PPS just yesterday and decided it was too big for pocket carry.

Very slim,but still too big for it IMO.

I'm thinking of ditching the idea(pocket carry) entirely.

Same here.... I checked out the MP9C as well. I've given up on the idea that I could conceal anything but the smallest of guns in my pocket and I don't know what that would be.

My other dilemma is that I want a full size MP9 -and- I can't always carry except in my briefcase (maxpedition bag ). So I looked at the MP9C and the only real difference was in the grip ( of which the MP felt better to me ).

Does the PPS feel like grabbing a 1x2 to any of you. It felt like it would twist in my hand when fired.

Also as far as shooting either I have read that the PPS is ok for a while but not a lot fun to shoot long term. I don't know what the MP9c would be like.

I sold my Glock .40 compact simply because I couldn't handle it. It just wasn't any fun for me to shoot and my accuracy was horrible.

I was dead set on the PPS but now I'm thinking MP9c ( I understand it can share mags with the full size too ).

So anyone have any thoughts on the fun factor when it comes to shooting the PPS v MP9c ( and possibly how either might compare to G .40c with respect to recoil, etc.. as a comparison I can shoot way better with an old Colt 2" Cobra with regular wood grips than I could with that Glock ).

Jerm
06-23-10, 19:33
Yeah,I think I've come to the conclusion that anything I'm comfortable with carrying in a pocket,on a regluar basis...I'm not going to be comfortable with as a weapon(or with shooting it alot at the range).

I can't speak to the "shootability" of the PPS.I didn't even get to try out the trigger as they had them zip tied.:(

But the M&P9c is a pleasure to shoot.I often go through 300+ rounds in a single range trip with it.That's usually on top of shooting others guns as well.There's not too much difference between it and the full size as far as punishment.Loading mags is the most trying part.

The recoil should be downright tame compared to a Glock 27(?)...

WWhunter
06-23-10, 21:26
As much as I like my Walthers.....my Kahr PM's are what I carry 99% of the time. I know there has been good and bad said about Kahrs but neither of my PM9's or my PM45 have ever had an issue. The PM45 is a little to big for pocket carry but does work in cargo pants.
I feel the PPS is about the same...a little to big for pockets but is doable in cargo pants.
WW

Powder_Burn
06-23-10, 21:45
I have an M&P9c and a PPS. With a 6 round mag, the PPS gets the nod for large pocket carry and best IWB concealment & comfort. I also shoot the PPS more accurately and you can get 7 & 8 round mags. You would need to keep it lubed and break it in prior to putting it into service. Early models are purported to be buggy.

On the other hand, the M&P9c with a flat base mag conceals almost as well IWB. The M&P is thicker/heavier but holds more rounds, has CT grips, and is more proven. You can really make a good case to own both since IMO the M&P is too large for pocket carry. The drawback is running inconsistent platforms.

I did not entertain the PM9 option after a bad ownership experience with a P40. My thumbs tend to ride Kahr's mag release anyway which is why I like the Walther style release in such a thin gun.

tb-av
06-23-10, 22:54
But the M&P9c is a pleasure to shoot.I often go through 300+ rounds in a single range trip with it.That's usually on top of shooting others guns as well.There's not too much difference between it and the full size and far as punishment.Loading mags is the most trying part.

The recoil should be downright tame compared to a Glock 27(?)...

Thanks, that's good to know.

Get an UpLuLa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zos_7e-c4t0)

G23 was what I had

I'm pretty well leaning to the MP9c after hearing this though.

ThirdWatcher
06-23-10, 23:27
I can't speak to the "shootability" of the PPS.I didn't even get to try out the trigger as they had them zip tied.

The trigger is just like a Glock trigger and the grip is thinner (remember "thin is in" :D). It has a single row mag so it feels nothing like a 2x4. I got mine in 9mm but I would went with the .40 S&W if my service pistol was a .40. My PPS is a good pistol and it has never FTFed. :)

ChicagoTex
06-23-10, 23:40
G23 was what I had

No offense, but if a G23 was too much for you, I'm not sure you're gonna be able to handle any compact or subcompact in a service caliber.

.40 really isn't that much more powerful than 9mm...

Given this new info I definetely WOULDN'T recommend a PPS to you.

Jerm
06-24-10, 00:23
Get an UpLuLa

G23 was what I had

I keep hearing that(UpLuLa). :)

I've been meaning to pick one up for my handguns and one for the AR's...Well,for years now.I always forget to throw it in on an order and I don't want pay shipping for it alone.They're always overpriced at the gun stores.

G23-I always forget that Glock calls what I would consider mid-size guns "compact" and what I would call compact "sub-compact".

I haven't shot the G23,but based on other similar sized .40's I've shot,I still think the M&Pc recoil would compare favorably.

The G23 is only slightly larger(the M&Pc is larger than the Glock subs),I find the M&Ps to have milder recoil than comparable Glocks,and the .40 is quite a bit "snappier" IMO.

...I think my 9c is milder than the G19 despite being a little smaller.Although,I haven't shot them at the same time,using the same ammo,for a direct comparison.

The trigger is just like a Glock trigger

Good to know.

I'll just have to convince myself that I still have a need for one...Despite leaning against any pocket carry at this point.:D

Beat Trash
06-24-10, 12:28
But the M&P9c is a pleasure to shoot.I often go through 300+ rounds in a single range trip with it.That's usually on top of shooting others guns as well.There's not too much difference between it and the full size as far as punishment.Loading mags is the most trying part.

Been carrying issued M&P's for over 4 years now. The magazines are a PIA to load when new. Will get easier in time.

I found that if you have one of the Glock loading tools that is shipped with each new Glock, it works on the M&P magazines also. It saves the thumbs until the magazine springs get broken in.

These Glock tools are much cheaper than a Lulu loader.

CPR
06-24-10, 13:27
I pocket carry a 9mm PPS regularly. You won't fit it in Debbie Gibson jeans, but it works just fine in relaxed fit jeans with deep pockets and cargo pants. I've yet to experience a malfunction, and I shoot it straight from a couple weeks worth of pocket carry to make sure it will function with lint in the nooks and crannies.

tb-av
06-24-10, 15:15
No offense, but if a G23 was too much for you, I'm not sure you're gonna be able to handle any compact or subcompact in a service caliber.

.40 really isn't that much more powerful than 9mm...

Given this new info I definetely WOULDN'T recommend a PPS to you.

No offense taken. In fact, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

Let me give you a little more info and see what you think ( or others ).

I used to have an HK .40 compact. I could do ok with it but didn't really like the trigger. As someone mentioned it was "snappier". I have a hard time recalling just how that felt in my hand, it's been awhile.

Also have had a Colt Pony .380. That was crap. the gun actually came apart in my hands once. It was small enough but the trigger was awful and it wore and cut into my finger. Sent it to colt for repair and traded it. I think if that gun had had a better trigger and actually stayed in one piece when you shot it it might not have been too bad.

As I mentioned above I have a 2" Colt revolver. I don't have real problem with that even with those old skinny wood grips. I am however only shooting SWC's so the load is light.

G23 .40 Glock. I never really liked the way the that grip feels/felt. I had a hard time hitting accurate with it. ( Georgia Arms reloads flat nose jacketed ). Especially if my hands got sweaty. In fact I would say, I had a harder time hitting what I with that than any other gun I have ever shot.

In comparison a full size 1911 ( my favorite ) or M52 both with light weight reloads ( WC or SWC ) feel like pop guns and feel very good in my hand ( the 1911 feels slightly big but not unwieldy )

Now having said that the MP9c feels very good in my hand. Not too big/funky ( glock ) and no spaces ( like little grip of the old Colt snub )

The PPS did give me that ( grip to skinny feel )

I do reload and generally load light. I realize I can't expect to load 9mm down to 45 or 38spl levels but.....

So anyway... yeah, I appreciate your point as I don't want to get another small form factor handgun and not like shooting it.

I have not shot many 9's. The only one I really recall was a full size Sig and I should have bought that from my friend. It was easy to shoot and accurate. I was sort of hoping the MP9c from what I've been reading might be similar.

You have given me something to ponder. I may be searching for something that doesn't exist.