PDA

View Full Version : AAR: FALCON SECURITY GRP Tactical Rifle/Carbine 6-19-10

BMWguy206
06-20-10, 21:20
Here it is and I apologize in advance for any poor grammar.

Held by Falcon Security Group.
Instructors: VooDoo, Hollywood, Dutch, and Sully.

0900 - Signing in, roll call, Voodoo spraying us down with bug spray, safety brief, seeing familiar faces (BB2007 and “Krav Maga”) I think there were 14 students. 4 of them being women. One of the women was a RN so her nickname was “RN” or ”Nurse” throughout the day.

0930 - BZO - First time shooting my DDM4 with an EOtech EXPS2-0. Hollywood made a total of 2 height adjustments to get it zeroed. Other students were quicker at getting their rifled zeroed and some were longer. I think one person was right handed but left eye dominant.

1030 - shooting targets at 5, 7, and 10 yards. Talked about height over bore and a bit about ballistics. Shooting fundamentals. Hollywood continued talking about safety such as muzzle discipline.

1100 - started doing drills such as combat reloads and tac/admin reloads. Hollywood and Voodoo talked about utilizing your workspace, keeping your head up and not down, giving us the “be wolves and not sheep” speech, how to grab your magazine from your pouch. Did more shooting drills such has failure drills, NSR, groin shots, and head shots. Hollywood had to yell at us to always switch to safe when done firing and finger off the trigger. "SEARCH AND ASSESS! SEARCH AND ASSESS!" They say this so many times! I can’t recall but I think the last thing we had before chow was shooting at the 15yrds, then 25yrds, 50yrds, then 100yrds.

1320 - chow time, hydrate, chat, rattlesnake scare, and top off mags.

1400 - Starting doing drills with different positions and how to get to them. These include kneeling and prone. Drills will consist of 2 shots standing, 2 kneeling, 4 prone, or any of those combination. Then we started doing shooting on the move so we would shoot while moving forward and moving backwards. We had to repeat that drill numerous times because we couldn’t get it right. Another drill was shooting from the 50yrd line then running forward to the 10yrd line then shoot again. We did some transitioned to secondary but not everyone had a pistol with them. Then we did lateral shooting drill which was very tough for other students. I’m RH so shooting to the left on this drill was easy. Doing the opposite way I wasn’t even hitting my targets. I should’ve transitioned my weapon to my reaction side. By this time Hollywood and Voodoo are trying to push us harder and more yelling.

1600 - Students went to top off mags and hydrate. Instructors setup for final drill but this time using steel targets. The drill was basically 2 shots standing, run forward and kneel behind cover then 2 shots, then run again to next cover and 2 shots again standing, then run to next cover and some people did prone, urban prone, or kneeling 2 shots again, then another 2 shots behind cover standing. End of drill. I want to say that the ladies kicked *** were awesome on this drill and hardly missed their targets. Voodoo and Hollywood were so proud of them because they said it was the first time taking 4 women in a carbine/rifle course. 2 students I think only had iron sights and they did damn well considering we were 50yrds away and their blood was pumping.

1630 - Shoot off. I lost against BB2007 on the 3rd round. I had a redi-mag but took my time making sure I seat the mag in when doing the reload. On the first round my mag fell down so didn’t want to make the same mistake.

1700 - Instructors told us to remove our gear and store them. Had a debrief, Voodoo passed out certificates, and we policed up the area.

Quotes:
Hollywood and Voodoo :
“SEARCH AND ASSESS! LOOK WHATS BEHIND YOU!”
“UTILIZE THE STRIPPER POLE!”
“Load and make ready!”
“...moving around CQB in the mobile home trailer park crack house...” (they're trying to say OddJob’s line. I know I said it wrong but something like that)

Voodoo: chewing dip “I swear I’m trying to quit.” (I heard this like 3 times already.)

Hollywood: “GAS ‘EM UP!”
VooDoo: “I’m going to tell Costa you said that”

Hollywood: “PUT ON YOUR GAME FACE!”

Voodoo: cracks a joke, no one laughs, “Man this is a tough crowd. Are you guys hung over? Party too hard last night?” (This happened a few times and seriously you can hear the crickets making noise)

Voodoo: “So after you’re done here you’re going to go home watch Full Metal Jacket”

Voodoo: “If you’re dehydrated I will stick you with an IV ranger style.”

This is my 2nd time taking a carbine course. 1st time taking it with Falcon but I have also taken 2 of their pistol courses. I think I fired up to 500 rounds. I learned about height over bore when shooting at very close distance, that women can be great shooters than men even with iron sights! Voodoo has got to be one of the funniest instructors in SoCA. Another thing that I learned is that holding your rifle for about 8hrs straight will give your hands, wrist, and forearm a great workout. Mine are currently sore.

Many thanks to Voodoo, Hollywood, Dutch, and Sully for being our instructors. Hope to see you again on the July 18th Tac rifle/carbine course.

SETUP:
Daniel Defense DDM4 with rear iron sight.
Exile Machine Hammerhead grip
Blue Force Gear Redi-Mod
EOtech EXPS2-0
Magpul XTM rail panels
Magpul MS2 sling
Magpul CTR stock (pinned)
Magpul B.A.D.
Fail Zero BCG
G96 CLP

Blue Force Gear ten speed chest rig
Knee and elbow pads
Raven Phantom AR15 mag pouches