PDA

View Full Version : The XM8, is it around at all

ronbuick
06-20-10, 23:49
Is this weapon available at all, it is to me just a hot looking weapon but do not know much else of the rifle then our Military I thought was looking at it at one time, and was it not a ambidexterous weapon as well?? all info appreciated by folks who would know about this piece.

Ron

wild_wild_wes
06-20-10, 23:51
It was abandoned.

99HMC4
06-21-10, 00:00
it is to me just a hot looking weapon

Ron

I drink HK coolaid and even I think its fugly as hell....

ronbuick
06-21-10, 00:01
wild wes, can we get a tad more broader on the info on this, reasons of a few would be helpful for sure, thanks

Ron

ronbuick
06-21-10, 00:07
99, all that kool-aide must have given you a libtard Pelosi mind, sorry just had to say it,lol, I can not help if I do not take the same fork in the road as most as some!
Ron

variablebinary
06-21-10, 00:22
Is this weapon available at all, it is to me just a hot looking weapon but do not know much else of the rifle then our Military I thought was looking at it at one time, and was it not a ambidexterous weapon as well?? all info appreciated by folks who would know about this piece.

Ron

The XM-8 is not available. It was a canceled quite awhile ago.

Yes it was a fully ambi weapon. The charging handle was accessed at the top of the firearm by the left or right hand; the mag release flanked the trigger guard; the bolt release was right in front of the trigger; the safety lever was ambi.

Not my cup of tea personally

http://www.gun-world.net/usa/r/xm8/2g_comp.jpg

ronbuick
06-21-10, 00:36
binary, well regardless I still like it, but what reasons other then ugly
that our Military shoot her down, I'm sure ugly is not of the criteria for not being accepted, again please more info from folks who know,politics?? cost?? politics??buioly by HK?, politics?? all info please
And also thanks for the pic, I still like it
Ron

tampam4
06-21-10, 00:41
take anything that is written on Wiki with a grain of salt, but this should answer alot. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM8_rifle

variablebinary
06-21-10, 00:58
binary, well regardless I still like it, but what reasons other then ugly
that our Military shoot her down, I'm sure ugly is not of the criteria for not being accepted, again please more info from folks who know,politics?? cost?? politics??buioly by HK?, politics?? all info please
And also thanks for the pic, I still like it
Ron

We have some knowledgeable people on this site. They might be able to chime in on particulars, but one of the issues apparently was heat, due to the barrel extension being seated in a polymer trunnion

ChicagoTex
06-21-10, 01:15
Google is your friend, there's ample history of the XM8 out there.

JPB
06-21-10, 08:50
Yeah it's still around, they call it the G36.....:o

wild_wild_wes
06-21-10, 22:38
We have some knowledgeable people on this site. They might be able to chime in on particulars, but one of the issues apparently was heat, due to the barrel extension being seated in a polymer trunnion

The G36 has the same trunnion configuration, does it not? Have the Germans and other users not subjected it to the severe firing tests the US did?