PDA

View Full Version : Safety on with hammer down?

Josh-L
06-21-10, 07:40
I have a Jard non adj trigger. With the hammer cocked the safety works just like normal but when the hammer is down you can still put the safety on. It's a little more difficult though. I never knew it did this until a buddy shot it this week and asked why my safety was do hard to engage. Any thoughts?

MarkG
06-21-10, 08:11
The safety engagement area of the trigger may be on the narrow side. Your receiver may be part of the problem also if it is out of spec.

Josh-L
06-21-10, 12:17
My lower is one of the first produced noveskes. My s/n is in the teens. I have had five or six different triggers in it and was never able to do this. I wouldn't think the lower is out of spec. The safety is a Stag. I'm not really worried about it since the safety works justnever seen this before.

Dienekes
06-22-10, 20:44
Just ran into this recently. I have a BM with a Jard non-adj. trigger. Was running a CMMG .22 conversion unit in it when I got a stovepipe (apparent short recoil, empty case caught between bolt face and forward edge of ejection port). I put the safety on and cleared the weapon but could not get the bolt to travel fully to the rear. I hinged the upper open and noticed that the hammer was about halfway cocked and would not go further back. When I moved the safety to fire position the hammer fell forward which surprised me. Apparently the sear surfaces will engage lightly before the disconnector engages; moving the safety to "fire" allowed the rear surfaces of the trigger to move and permitted the hammer to fall the rest of the way home. (Other than a trouble-free installation of the trigger kit, and addition of an H buffer, NO other work has been done on the lower at any time.)

I have two M4geries set up this way. On the above rifle which has about 3200 rounds through it, the safety cannot be engaged when the hammer is fully down. On the second rifle, with only about 100 rounds through it, it CAN.

Have otherwise never had a problem with these triggers, but suspect there are some dimensional issues here.

Josh-L
06-23-10, 13:50
Hmmmm maybe I'll call Jard then and see they will replace it.