PDA

View Full Version : AR Newb - Bore Guide Help

mofeen
06-21-10, 13:47
I found the above cleaning tutorial very helpful. I have myself a nice J Dewey coated cleaning rod and the necessary accessories. I do not yet have a bore guide.

I was wondering how necessary are they? I have a Colt LE6940 if that makes any difference. Would you recommend one? If so, is this one satisfactory? Here (http://www.deweyrods.com/cgi-bin/ccp5/cp-app.cgi?usr=DEWEY52998&pg=prod&ref=BREECH&cat=BORE_SAVER&catstr=HOME:BORE_SAVER)

I am assuming that it gets inserted into the barrel through the chamber, and the cleaning rod inserts through the guide, correct?

Also, would you recommend any other accessories? I was eyeing the Lug recess tools. Here (http://www.deweyrods.com/cgi-bin/ccp5/cp-app.cgi?usr=DEWEY52998&pg=prod&ref=L16_L10&cat=SPEC&catstr=HOME:KITS:SPEC)

Thanks for helping out. I get so nervous because I put some decent money into this thing and want to keep it in great condition.

Ding
06-21-10, 14:01
A bore guide would only benefit ya if ya had a tack driver,even then ya clean from the throat,as you would be doin from your colt.Not really needed unless have OCD.LOL

A good pair of chamber brushes,a good oil,bronze or fiber brushes for the barrel and some copper/powder solvent,make some small patches from a T-shirt.These are pretty much all ya need along with your rod and attachments.I like to have a brake cleaner that I can spray into the chamber/extension area and flow down the gas tube to break up the carbon

goodoleboy
06-21-10, 14:21
I wouldn't use a bore guide unless you have a precision rifle. I generally stay away from steel cleaning rods on all my firearms. As mentioned before, use good brushes and solvents. For cleaning patches, I use cut-up t-shirts. Don't over clean your weapon, but don't neglect it either. There's plenty of good cleaning info in the sticky threads.

Enjoy your rifle!

Jake Bauer
06-22-10, 00:01
So for a guy who intends to keep his carbine shooting accurately under the 400yd mark, I probably wouldnt need a bore guide?