Sindervhit
11-29-10, 13:01
Idaho Falls.

reccerecon
12-09-10, 20:10
Twin Falls

Irish
02-26-11, 15:45
My wife and I are considering moving to Idaho. Any thoughts, recommendations, concerns that we need to be made aware of? How long is the growing season for gardens? What areas would you recommend looking at? How's the CDA area? It looks really pretty in photos and I plan on taking a trip up there in the next few months to check some different places out.

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

reccerecon
02-26-11, 16:35
Right now house prices are really low in Bosie, Nampa, Caldwell and surrounding areas. Idaho is a good state, most areas are gun friendly, CCW are "shall issue", great hunting and good growing seasons. I don't remember what the seasons are, but Idaho is full of farms, there's good dirt here. I'm in the Magic Valley area in the south and we've had mild winters the past few years. There is however a bad meth problem around here. There are plenty of illegal alians that are migrant farm workers, for the most part they keep to themselves but there are those that do nothing but cause problems. One thing that I can't stand about the state government is all the tax payer funded programs for them. All in all it a great place to live, but I'd move back to the southern Nevada desert in a heart beat. Hope this helps.

ronbuick
02-26-11, 20:25
CDA is nice we live in the treasure valley, Boise, long growing season vs. CDA I'm sure since it is about a 9hr. drive farther north which gets you closer to Canada, low humidity and rain fall in the TV, windier
in Twin falls area and east ward, myself I prefer the high desert and about a 30-40 miles Northward in you are in the pines and it is very nice and it is a nice drive, your concerns and the like need to be more
explicit and a little more detailed, HTH's a tad or at least gets you started to ask more detailed ?'s, plus a low crime rate as well.

Ron

jklaughrey
02-26-11, 21:20
Hey I am a football field away from Lewiston, ID. Well across the river in WA, but around here Lewis-Clark valley is considered one city. Best hunting, fishing, and cost of living ratio in state of Idaho.

CoryCop25
02-26-11, 21:30
We have a summer home in Mackey, Custer County Idaho. I absolutely love it there. The problem in that area is that there are really no jobs and you can't really open up a new business because the town is so small that they wouldn't allow you to compete with the older businesses. For example, no one would come to your new restaurant because it would be unheard of to not go the the regular restaurant.
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af269/CoryCop25/P1000801.jpg

Keebsley
02-27-11, 11:05
Meridian here.

Keebsley
02-27-11, 11:07
Double tap.

mikeyonthemadone
02-27-11, 15:17
Twin Falls. I have to agree with all the points made by my southern Idaho neighbor who posted above me.

Mikey

Stump70
05-13-11, 10:57
Lewiston reporting in.

archad
06-14-11, 18:59
Hey I am a football field away from Lewiston, ID. Well across the river in WA, but around here Lewis-Clark valley is considered one city. Best hunting, fishing, and cost of living ratio in state of Idaho.

I agree PM me plz

CoryCop25
06-15-11, 00:15
I'll be at my family's summer house in Mackay, Custer County on June 29th. Can't wait to smell that sage brush again!

ghost762
06-15-11, 00:37
Originally form Boise. The navy made me move to Oak Harbor

HaydenB
01-27-12, 20:55
Been in Coeur d'Alene for about 8 years now and lovin' every minute of it!

tlbailey1
02-12-12, 02:52
Lewiston here. Born and raised in Boise, came to Lewiston for college, then spent about 6.5 years in Texas before moving back home.

leadsender
02-12-12, 20:58
Twin falls here, anyone here know to shoot where the crazies don't go

reccerecon
02-13-12, 10:46
There's an indoor pistol/rem fire range down town that isn't bad. I haven't been to it myself, but I was told there is a rifle range past the Flying J in Jerome. Other then that you just need to get lucky and find a spot out in the desert, the further out you go the better.

Bad Medicine
02-13-12, 12:18
Man, I love Idaho! I grew up in emmett and meridian, I miss it and can't wait to get back after this enlistment! I plan up spending some time up north though.

leadsender
02-13-12, 16:46
There's an indoor pistol/rem fire range down town that isn't bad. I haven't been to it myself, but I was told there is a rifle range past the Flying J in Jerome. Other then that you just need to get lucky and find a spot out in the desert, the further out you go the better.

Yeah I was going out over the canyon in the morning until someone started shooting over me, same with the south hills, it would be nice if I didn't have to drive 45 mins one way I'd be able to go out more

reccerecon
02-13-12, 19:18
I've had that happen to me before too. I've even had some idiots drive their dirt bikes down range form me after seeing that I was getting ready to shoot. Have you tried the Buhl range? I've only seen the sign for it and haven't been there myself.

leadsender
02-13-12, 20:51
No I haven't seen the sign I've only been here for I a little while I was stationed at mountain home for 6 years though... There is pretty hefty shooting bench built into the Indian springs area but alot of dirt bikers out there doing the same thing

reccerecon
02-14-12, 19:25
Welcome to the area and thank you for your service. I haven't been out towards Buhl in awhile, but I'll check it out the next time I do. I don't know why Twin Falls County doesn't have a rifle range, maybe someday. There is a range over by Shoshone Falls that the LEOs use, but I don't think it's open to the public. If your into trap shooting there is a shotgun club by the canyon. I've been trying to find a place to do low/no light shooting, but I can't get a solid answer from the city or county.

leadsender
02-15-12, 00:14
Yeah it's a great area I'll just have to keep fighting off the inconsiderate people in the mean time

rackham1
02-15-12, 00:28
A little north of CDA myself, back in the mountains. I've lived both in the CDA and Boise areas and would pick North Idaho any day of the week. But I'm allergic to heat, even if it's dry heat.

Post Falls has Center Target Sports, best shooting range in the country in 2010 according to some big gun rag (can't remember which). Indoor range and small, but good education program and the least gomerish staff I've come across at a range/shop before.

HaydenB
02-15-12, 01:12
A little north of CDA myself, back in the mountains.

Oh yeah? What mountains? I live back in Twin Lakes between Rathdrum and Spirit Lake.

Post Falls has Center Target Sports, best shooting range in the country in 2010 according to some big gun rag (can't remember which). Indoor range and small, but good education program and the least gomerish staff I've come across at a range/shop before.

I agree. But it does seem like every time I go into that place I get into a friendly argument with someone on staff. Then once I get home I look up the answer and I'm always correct. :rolleyes:

rackham1
02-15-12, 18:15
Oh yeah? What mountains? I live back in Twin Lakes between Rathdrum and Spirit Lake.

I agree. But it does seem like every time I go into that place I get into a friendly argument with someone on staff. Then once I get home I look up the answer and I'm always correct. :rolleyes:

Right on! I'm literally just around the bend from you... my family and I built a house last summer about halfway up Rathdrum Mountain and so we belong to the town below. We love it here... very happy to be in this area.

Maybe you can clue me in for good safe places to shoot...? We moved over from the other side of Spokane and all I've figured out for this area so far is CTS for indoor, which gets spendy. The Fernan Range looks good but is 25 miles away... seems like there should be something up your way off of 41.

Haven't gotten into any friendly arguments with CTS staff yet, although I'm starting to frequent it more so maybe I will. Normally I try to avoid any discussion because of things like you mentioned, I think why bother, but I suppose it could be fun too.

HaydenB
02-16-12, 01:31
Right on! I'm literally just around the bend from you... my family and I built a house last summer about halfway up Rathdrum Mountain and so we belong to the town below. We love it here... very happy to be in this area.

Yeah I love it too. It really is an awesome area. Especially coming from The People's Republic of Kalifornia. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can clue me in for good safe places to shoot...? We moved over from the other side of Spokane and all I've figured out for this area so far is CTS for indoor, which gets spendy. The Fernan Range looks good but is 25 miles away... seems like there should be something up your way off of 41.

CTS is a really great and safe place to bring new shooters, but it does get very expensive. I don't go to a range per say, it's more like a place in the woods. It must be safe enough because we had a cop roll up once to check on all the gunfire and he didn't tell us to stop. :D

Its pretty redneck, but its what everyone around here does. The only good range around here got closed down because A-holes who built their houses around a SHOOTING RANGE started complaining about the noise... :rolleyes:

Quentin
07-04-12, 10:08
Boise here... Nice seasons except way too overcast in the winter (maybe because I lived 30 years in Arizona). Oh well whaddaya expect in the Northwest. Getting more liberal too due to all the Californians moving here and wanting to "fix" things.

All in all, a nice place to live and a day's drive gets you to many scenic places. Quite a few shooting ranges and lots of BLM land but it's a little scary to shoot in the desert now that it's fire season. I've been going to Impact Guns indoor range lately.

colt191145lover
09-08-12, 12:16
Darn I need to visit here more, I missed the Center Target Sports bashing :D lol. Neat shop but Ive had some interesting experiences with the staff myself.

Jake'sDad
10-15-12, 21:25

Haven't gotten into any friendly arguments with CTS staff yet, although I'm starting to frequent it more so maybe I will. Normally I try to avoid any discussion because of things like you mentioned, I think why bother, but I suppose it could be fun too.

Yeah I love it too. It really is an awesome area. Especially coming from The People's Republic of Kalifornia. :rolleyes:

CTS is a really great and safe place to bring new shooters, but it does get very expensive. I don't go to a range per say, it's more like a place in the woods. It must be safe enough because we had a cop roll up once to check on all the gunfire and he didn't tell us to stop. :D

Its pretty redneck, but its what everyone around here does. The only good range around here got closed down because A-holes who built their houses around a SHOOTING RANGE started complaining about the noise... :rolleyes:

The Fernan Range is worth the drive. PM me if you want to come out as my guest some time.

Jake'sDad
10-15-12, 21:29
Darn I need to visit here more, I missed the Center Target Sports bashing :D lol. Neat shop but Ive had some interesting experiences with the staff myself.

I think it's kinda endemic to gun store employees. Many/most of them work in gun shops because they fancy themselves a gun expert, when they usually aren't.

I miss the one man operation gun stores of my youth, where the owners were mostly ex WWII military and competitive shooters. I sure learned a lot from those neat old guys.

HaydenB
10-16-12, 01:54
The Fernan Range is worth the drive. PM me if you want to come out as my guest some time.
I for one would love directions. Thanks friend.

Jake'sDad
10-16-12, 02:18
I for one would love directions. Thanks friend.

It's a members only range with a locked gate, so you need to go with a member. PM me if you want to try and hook up to check it out.

Leadslinger585
01-18-19, 17:07
This thread is old as f__k but it seemed the most appropriate place for an intro (unless I missed the actual intro thread somewhere).

Regular guy (non LEO, non Mil) living somewhere in between Boise and the Oregon border, shooting since I was 13. Started out in 25 meter smallbore rifle then NRA highpower. I quit the competitive stuff in my mid 20's and now I mostly shoot for fun.

ELFEGO BACA
01-19-19, 09:24
There is a outdoor range at the Coeur d’ Alene Gun club on atlas road in CDA.
From April 15 til November 15 there is an outdoor range near Sandpoint!