PDA

View Full Version : Glock Gen4 17 New Springs Have Arrived

9mmsteve
06-21-10, 20:12
From a posting on Glocktalk, the guy picked up a new Gen4 Glock 17(his second) and it came with an 02 marked spring:

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234483

M4arc
06-21-10, 20:27
Thanks for the heads up!

Moose-Knuckle
06-22-10, 08:14
Yes, thanks. Now I want to see if there are any reports with malfuntions with unpowered ammo compared to the first Gen 4 springs. I've been on the fence but now I may pony up.

Seraph
06-22-10, 09:00
What are these new springs supposed to fix?

GermanSynergy
06-22-10, 13:55
What are these new springs supposed to fix?

Some end users of the Gen 4 G-17s have encountered problems regarding reliability, due in part to the strength of the recoil spring. The new springs are lighter, and should remedy these issues.

HK45
06-22-10, 14:22
All three of my Gen 4's have been fine with every type of ammo that has gone through them. When it comes time for spring replacement I'll probably go to this spring just because it appears to be what Glock is putting in all new Gen 4's. Two of mine have 6k rounds through them apiece so I wouldn't mind having a few replacement springs in my range bag once you can actually buy just the springs.

Seraph
06-22-10, 16:26
All three of my Gen 4's have been fine with every type of ammo that has gone through them. When it comes time for spring replacement I'll probably go to this spring just because it appears to be what Glock is putting in all new Gen 4's. Two of mine have 6k rounds through them apiece so I wouldn't mind having a few replacement springs in my range bag once you can actually buy just the springs.

Ah. So, it looks like these springs are meant to remedy cyclic problems that some people have cited with their Gen. 4 Glock 17's, which seem to be due to the use of over-stiff springs engineered for the Gen. 4 Glock 22 (some seem to think this was done to make them run better with a mounted light, I guess). When you say that these newest springs will be put in all Gen. 4's, does that mean they will be put in both 9mm and .40 models, or just the 9mm models that seem to exhibit problems with the other springs? In other words, is this new set of springs a revised attempt at a cross-caliber set of springs, or is it a new set of springs for 9mm only?

JHC
06-22-10, 18:53
Just the 9mm's apparently. Gen 4 springs. Tuned lighter for the G17.
NOT Gen 3 springs by the way. :D

I'll buy one when I can to shoot side by side in like Gen 4's. Will be cool to see how the recoil handling compares.

Mjolnir
06-23-10, 11:07
Just the 9mm's apparently. Gen 4 springs. Tuned lighter for the G17.
NOT Gen 3 springs by the way. :D

I'll buy one when I can to shoot side by side in like Gen 4's. Will be cool to see how the recoil handling compares.
I'd be interested in results.

I have some software where I can run a function analyzer on my laptop. If I can purchase a small accelerometer I can measure the acceleration differences betwen 01 and 02 springs with ball and self-defense ammo.