PDA

View Full Version : Something to put my new Daniel Defense in?

Whiskey_Bravo
06-22-10, 10:44
I am in the market for a decent gun safe(I know it's not really a safe). I have used the search feature and found several threads on the topic but I have not seen "Superior Safes" mentioned. I would love an AMSEC BF safe, but I am not having any luck convincing the wife that I need to spend $2200-2500 after delivery/taxes on a gun safe. I am really wanting to stay under the $1500 mark. I could probably go a little higher, but there seems to be a stigma crossing the 2k mark :(

I wanted to see if I could get any recommendations out of a few different ones that I am considering.

I found a safe/locksmith company not to far from my house in Dallas that has these in stock.

I am currently considering the AMSEC SF6032.
Cost" $1235.00+delivery/bolt down($125) and tax

http://www.amsecusa.com/Gun_Safes/SF_Series_Gun_Safes/

size:59" x 30" x 21"
Door Thickness:4.25"
Body Thickness:12ga.
Weight:576lbs
Capacity:9-9-18 - w/PDO: 9-9-18 +2
Bolts:8 -1.25"(5 active)
Door Plate:1/4"
60 min fire rating at 1200 degrees
Door organizer kit

http://superiorgunsafes.com/masterSeries.html

size:31"×60"×26"
Door Thickness:
Body Thickness:12ga outer shell, 1 3/8" total
Weight:800lbs
Capacity:12 or 24
Bolts:14–1"
Door Plate:1/4" outer plate w/12ga inner plate, double step door with two fire seals.
60 Min fire rating at 1500 degrees

To me the Superior seems like a better safe(heavier, 1/4" plus 12ga steal on the door, slightly larger), but I have not been able to find much info on the Superior safes as googling superior safes turns up a lot of stuff non related.

I am going to be placing this in a closet in the garage and I have about 32 inches or so in width to work with so I don't really want to get wider than that or I will have to find a new spot to put it.. Height and depth shouldn't be a factor.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again and sorry if this was not posted in the correct location. Since I can not post in the general area I wasn't sure where to put it.

shootist~
06-22-10, 11:11
Tell her a gun safe is also a good place to store her jewelry. I've gotten by with a standard not-fire-proof Browning safe for 20+ years. My only issue is it's not big enough.

Noodle
06-22-10, 11:23
Recently ordered a Liberty Lincoln 41 gun safe. A bit of overkill but should be around forever.

72"H x 42"W x 30.5"D
Weight: 1120 lbs
Bolt Coverage: 4 Sides
Bolt Count: 16
Fire Rating: 90 minutes @ 1200-1400°F

Inuvik
06-22-10, 14:28
I am currently in the exact same boat, with the same budget. I think I am going to go with the Sturdy Safe in 60 x 36x 27 with 8 gauge steel. Out the door delivered to my house it is just over $2K.

They also offer a 60 X 30 X 24 with 8 gauge steel for under $2K otd.

I looked at the AmSec as well. The SF series seemed a little bit light (weight wise) and the BF series is top notch but much bigger $$. The biggest difference I noticed among the different mfg. was in fire insulation material. Most common gun safes such as Liberty use layers of sheetrock, the Brown and AmSec use concrete, and the Sturdy uses ceramic cloth. I am not totally sure which is best, and there is plenty of propaganda from each manufacturer on the subject.

Good Luck!

Whiskey_Bravo
06-22-10, 15:14
Does anybody have personal experience with the Superior Safes? Sturdy seems pretty nice as well, but I would be getting pretty close to the 2k mark or over unless I wanted to get the little tiny one.