PDA

View Full Version : XPS vs H1

DJP
06-22-10, 13:18
Newbie here...just got my first AR. Complete Lower from BCM, BCM BFH 16" upper with DD lite rail, BCM bolt and CH. So I think I am off to a good start.

Time to add an optic! I stole my wife's XPS off of her M&P15 this weekend. I have used this a few times and like the size of the aperture and the dot in a circle reticule. But even though it’s small for an Eotech, still a little big.

I have done some research on the Aimpoint H1 and like the size. Never having used or seen one in person was wondering if the smaller aperture makes target acquisition slower and if the 4 MOA dot obscures your target.

Anyone has a source for a quick release mount for the H1 for co-witness, not 1/3 co-witness

Thanks

Mind you this is just for fun, range and classes, mostly short range, 100 yds and under.

lethal dose
06-22-10, 13:27
I ran the botach h1/kz package. $500 for the mount and optic. Just make sure you call to verify it's in stock before you order. Adm offers a nicer mount but the botach package is cheaper then the optic alone from most places.

lethal dose
06-22-10, 13:29
To add... the objective size has little to do with how fast you aquire the target. My h1 was quick. Real quick.

DJP
06-22-10, 13:44
Thanks...I have seen some bad comemnts regarding BoTach but I have placed a few orders and had no issues. Except back orders whihc is a problem everywhere with demand as it is.

Dos Cylindros
06-22-10, 13:46
I have an Eo on my department issue work gun. It does have a large field of view and is fairly quick on target. I have a T-1 (same as H-1 I'm sure you know) on my personal gun and it is just as fast. The T-1/H-1 has a very small body around it so you can see through it and around it. It is extremely fast, though some people are just not the type to like looking through a tube. If I could have a T-1 on my work gun, I would give up the Eo in a second. The battery life of the H-1/T-1 is far superior to the Eo, it is just as fast and a thousand times more durable.

I think ADM makes a QD mount that is true co-witness, also the Botach deal is a good package. My T-1 is sitting on a LaRue tall mount (lower 1/3) and I really like it. Not a real big difference between lower 1/3 and true co-witness if you are running fixed FSB. A little easier to look through the optic on a lower 1/3 though.

Good luck in your choice, I really think the Aimpoint optics are vastly superior to Eo, and I use an Eo (not by choice) every day at work.

BushmasterFanBoy
06-22-10, 14:48
I personally feel the smaller optic lense size limits the speed with which you can acquire the dot from low ready or in awkward positions with less than perfect cheekweld. For this reason, I prefer the 30mm Aimpoints, but your experience may differ. I'd try all the options before you sink the change into any of them. Check out a hometown forum or other M4C get together and see if someone there has one to try.

opmike
06-22-10, 16:25
I ran the botach h1/kz package. $500 for the mount and optic. Just make sure you call to verify it's in stock before you order. Adm offers a nicer mount but the botach package is cheaper then the optic alone from most places.

It's $75 dollars cheaper than that if you use their discount code.

Singlestack Wonder
06-22-10, 21:32
I can't tell a difference in target acquisition time between my H1 and M3. With both eyes open, the dot appears on the target easily with both. I like the small size and light weight of the H1. After running the 30mm Aimpoints for 15 years, all future buys will be the micro Aimpoints.

nickdrak
06-22-10, 22:05
I have owned & trained with both optics (Eotech XPS and the Aimpoint T1), and in my experience the Eotech's sight picture and reticle is the fastest for close-up CQB distance shooting. I also prefer the smaller 1MOA dot for extended distance shooting.

I have found the Eotech XPS to be a rugged little optic over the past several months. Is it a rugged as the Aimpoint T1/H1? Only time will tell, but I have absolute confidence in the XPS on my duty rifle. While the extended battery life of the Aimpoint is definitely a nice feature, I simply swap out the battery in my XPS once every two months as regular maintenance.

While I really, really like the Aimpoint T1/H1 on my AK (I really need to pick up another one!), it just doesn't work for me as well as the Eotech does for me on my AR's.