PDA

View Full Version : Which glock for carbine/shotgun glass sidearm 17 or 17C?

m249saw
06-22-10, 13:38
So Ill throw this question out on this forum (as GlockTalk is down at the moment)

Im looking to add a Glock 17 to my stable of 34, 19 and 26. This will be specifically for a dedicated sidearm to my chest rig ensemble for tactical carbine/shot gun classes.

My 26 and 19 are for CCW, 34 is my IDPA/USPSA/Steel gun. Don't really want to use the 34 due to the extended slide out the bottom of the holster, 19 due to shorter barrel and like to keep it intact due to CCW and the 26 for obvious reasons.

Ive never owned a C model and figured this would be the gun to have it on.

Thoughts?

GermanSynergy
06-22-10, 13:53
So Ill throw this question out on this forum (as GlockTalk is down at the moment)

Im looking to add a Glock 17 to my stable of 34, 19 and 26. This will be specifically for a dedicated sidearm to my chest rig ensemble for tactical carbine/shot gun classes.

My 26 and 19 are for CCW, 34 is my IDPA/USPSA/Steel gun. Don't really want to use the 34 due to the extended slide out the bottom of the holster, 19 due to shorter barrel and like to keep it intact due to CCW and the 26 for obvious reasons.

Ive never owned a C model and figured this would be the gun to have it on.

Thoughts?

Skip the C models and get the standard 17. You're not gaining anything by employing a compensated weapon during training, and if you had to employ such weapon in a close range defensive encounter, the C could be a liability due to the blast coming up from the two ports.

Entropy
06-22-10, 13:58
Regular 17 or another 19. The compensator ports are great for putting our your eyes when you have to close quarters shoot.

Complication
06-22-10, 14:05
and if you had to employ such weapon in a close range defensive encounter, the C could be a liability due to the blast coming up from the two ports.

You're referring to what Entropy mentioned below you?

GermanSynergy
06-22-10, 14:07
You're referring to what Entropy mentioned below you?

Precisely.

m249saw
06-22-10, 15:24
Thanks all. Ill see if my local Glock LEO dealer has any Gen3 17s in stock.:D

OPPFOR
06-22-10, 15:32
Don't overlook the Gen 4. I bought one a month ago and couldn't be happier. The slim frame and soft recoil are what sold me on the Gen 4

------>Not trying to turn this into a Gen 3 vs. Gen 4 issue.

m249saw
06-22-10, 16:36
Was waiting for cycling issues to be worked out with the Gen4, which I guess has been done with the O2 spring. Plus I never like getting a newly designed gun as soon as it comes out.

Im in a 2-3 month time window with the 17 so we shall see, might very well end up a 4th Gen.

texag
06-22-10, 17:43
Practice with your g19 if that's what you carry.

DocGKR
06-22-10, 19:22
Get another G19 for a practice weapon--they also work fine for duty/tactical use...

m249saw
06-22-10, 19:48
Get another G19 for a practice weapon--they also work fine for duty/tactical use...

My local shop does have a beautiful OD 19, hmmmmm. I just would like to have the original Glock model in my lineup, course then I would be inclined to get a 17L to finish off the caliber:p

SWATcop556
06-22-10, 20:11
I would also say the C model is not needed especially on a 9mm, but saying that it is a liability or possibly unsafe is not accurate. I was issued a G31C for 5 years and probably fired between 75-100k of training and duty loads from all different shooting positions and never once had an issue with the ported barrel. While shooting and focusing on other things you don't even notice it. Even shooting it at night it was a non-issue.

I agree with Doc and I would get a second G19. There's nothing a G17 can do that a G19 can't unless you have huge dick beaters. :cool:

GermanSynergy
06-22-10, 21:06
I would also say the C model is not needed especially on a 9mm, but saying that it is a liability or possibly unsafe is not accurate. I was issued a G31C for 5 years and probably fired between 75-100k of training and duty loads from all different shooting positions and never once had an issue with the ported barrel. While shooting and focusing on other things you don't even notice it. Even shooting it at night it was a non-issue.

I agree with Doc and I would get a second G19. There's nothing a G17 can do that a G19 can't unless you have huge dick beaters. :cool:

Cool- never shot a 31C, but used to own a 20C :cool:

l8apex
06-22-10, 23:02
I'd go with your G19 or a Gen4 17. The C models, if used with the wrong ammo, will give you quite the 'flash' during low light shooting.

DocGKR
06-22-10, 23:36
C models blow chunks for real world use. Try shooting from retention with a C model...

SWATcop556
06-22-10, 23:42
I'd go with your G19 or a Gen4 17. The C models, if used with the wrong ammo, will give you quite the 'flash' during low light shooting.

The only time this is an issue is if you are firing in the dark with no white light to illuminate your target. If you are doing this then you have bigger problems than the flash from the ported barrel. Again when using proper low light techniques with a handheld or weapon mounted light the flash is negligible. I'm not defending the C models as they are really not needed for most applications but there is also a lot of incorrect information out there as well. It also doesn't help when they run adds with the huge V shape fireball coming out of the pistol just so it looks good in a magazine. It's not that dramatic in person.

The only time i really was able to notice it was on a low lit indoor range. But it wasn't so bad that I ran blinded into the night. :cool:

l8apex
06-23-10, 00:10
The only time this is an issue is if you are firing in the dark with no white light to illuminate your target. If you are doing this then you have bigger problems than the flash from the ported barrel. Again when using proper low light techniques with a handheld or weapon mounted light the flash is negligible.

The only time i really was able to notice it was on a low lit indoor range. But it wasn't so bad that I ran blinded into the night. :cool:

I can certainly appreciate that. We did some unofficial tests during low light scenarios with various pistols and ammo [over a dozen]. Indoors, outdoors, hallways etc. Most of us found Speer Lawman and a G19C to be quite the combo. The ideal scenario as you mentioned is correct low light tactics with the use of a light source which negates the flash.

The tests were done as the ideal scenario does not always present itself. YMMV.

SERT103
06-23-10, 05:05
Compensators don't belong personal defense guns. They offer more negatives than positives.