PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know anything about Benchmade Balis?

rob_s
06-22-10, 19:53
I have had a Benchmade model 44S balisong for something like 10 years. Box, paperwork, sheath, and knife. I'm starting to wonder if maybe it's worth something to the people that collect such things, but don't really know where to look or who to ask.

Anyone here into this kind of stuff? I found one guy listing a 44 for $350 on another forum but I am not sure if that's really a reasonable price or if it's outlandish.

Anyone know anything or know where I can look?

fullmetalredhead
06-22-10, 20:34
Refresh my memory...is this the partially serrated tanto blade?

The value of the knife is heavily dependent on 3 things. One of them you've got covered--you saved the box, paperwork and sheath. Pat yourself on the back for that. The second is the actual condition of the knife. If it's in mint condition, I wouldn't be shocked to see it go for $350, but there is probably around a $150 swing in value depending upon actual condition. The last thing is the desirability of that particular model, the 44S. I'm not an expert so I don't know anything about the rarity/desirability of the 44S.

Here's my advice. Fill out a free registration at bladeforums.com and post the knife in the exchange/trade thread. Better would be to post the knife in the for sale thread, but you'd have to pay for a membership to do that. In my opinion, posting it the trade forum is sufficient to alert the Balisong nuts to its existence and draw some cash offers. Receiving a few of these cash offers will give you a ballpark idea of the knife's value.

I recently went through this process with an old Balisong Model 35 that I bought in the 90's. I had the sheath, but not the original box or paperwork--knife was in good condition except for a bent tip. I sold it for $150 about a month ago (I originally paid about $90 for it).

rob_s
06-23-10, 04:30
I know everyone always says this, but it really is in NIB condition. No rust, no blade dings, etc. And yes, it's the tanto with the large belly and partially serrated blade.

It looks just like this (not my pic)

http://www.gettier.org/knifepics/bm_44s.jpg

fullmetalredhead
06-23-10, 11:13
I know everyone always says this, but it really is in NIB condition. No rust, no blade dings, etc. And yes, it's the tanto with the large belly and partially serrated blade.

It looks just like this (not my pic)

http://www.gettier.org/knifepics/bm_44s.jpg

The Model 44 has a satin finish stainless steel blade. The blade in this pic looks odd, but I presume it's an effect of the lighting. There should be a "Benchmade USA" production mark on the opposite side of the blade.

Lack of rust and blade dings doesn't necessarily make the knife NIB. What's the condition of the handle? The handles on these tend to accumulate small scratches through use. In particular, flip the latch all the way up until it contacts the handle. It's typical for the latch to gouge a small line in the metal here over time. Is this gouge present?

rob_s
06-23-10, 11:42
It has literally sat in the box all this time, and I've taken it out once or twice to flip it. I'll scrutinize the handle but I can't find any scratches, etc.

SuicideHz
06-25-10, 12:56
That's an awesome blade and I'd love to own it Rob.

I had one with the non-tanto blade about 12 years ago. I loved that knife. I was pretty "good" with it...

MarshallDodge
06-25-10, 14:26
Benchmade has a forum that contains a classifieds section:
http://www.benchmadeforum.com/

You will find a lot of collectors on their that would be interested in your Bali.

fullmetalredhead
06-26-10, 18:11
It has literally sat in the box all this time, and I've taken it out once or twice to flip it. I'll scrutinize the handle but I can't find any scratches, etc.

Wow, nice. I'd strongly consider holding on to that if I were you.

Muddyboots
06-26-10, 18:23
I agree, Hang on to it!

It's value is only going up!

Don't sell it to fund research for "The Chart" if that's what you're thinking, pass the hat! Thank you by the way!

Muddyboots

2Sharp
06-27-10, 14:18
IF you decide to sell it, please PM me.. :)

Bali-songs was my first "tactical folders", so i have a weak spot for them, Benchmades are some of the best around :)