PDA

View Full Version : Source of cheap alice frames?

SoDak
06-22-10, 20:21
I've been planning on picking up a few alice packs and wondered if anyone had a source for cheap frames. I want just the frames because I hope to upgrade the straps and belt.

perna
06-22-10, 22:54
armygear.net has the pack and the frame for $26.95, not sure if that is cheap or not.

RogerinTPA
06-22-10, 23:00
$27.00 on amazon.:eek:

http://www.amazon.com/ALICE-PACK-FRAME-KIDNEY-SHOULDER/dp/B000KD3GTE

GroundLabTactical
06-28-10, 00:29
BlackHawk has them new manufacture for around 30 I beleive Tactical tailor has some as well.

R Moran
06-28-10, 07:52
I was just looking at some of this stuff.

Go to Down East Inc. I think it is, they make a polymer frame, that you can get with upgraded straps, for not to much.

The reviews of the fram over at LightFighter have been good. Has me thinking of going the Large Alice route, for a cheap ruck.

Bob

PlatoCATM
06-28-10, 07:54
How about a polymer frame?
Down East Frame (http://downeastinc.com/cgi-bin/online/storepro.php)

mkmckinley
06-28-10, 11:12
In my experience the poly frames suck. They break under stress unlike the old ALICE which bends. If I remember correctly the polymer frames are heavier too.

R Moran
06-28-10, 15:10
Plato,
Thats the one I'm talking about, looks good.

There is some talk of them on LF. Apparently, they are pretty tough. The web sits shows testing they've done, where it has survived simulated, or real, can't remember, jumps

Bob

Heavy Metal
06-28-10, 15:15
I was just looking at some of this stuff.

Go to Down East Inc. I think it is, they make a polymer frame, that you can get with upgraded straps, for not to much.

The reviews of the fram over at LightFighter have been good. Has me thinking of going the Large Alice route, for a cheap ruck.

Bob

What Bob said^ Go with the Down East.

It is well-reviewed and I am going to try a couple myself.

The nice thing is you can use better suspensions with them than the awful standard Alice ones.

Heavy Metal
06-28-10, 15:16
In my experience the poly frames suck. They break under stress unlike the old ALICE which bends. If I remember correctly the polymer frames are heavier too.

We are several frame generations beyond the atrocious early black Molle frames now.

PlatoCATM
06-29-10, 20:51
I'd like to try one myself and then have my pack modified by TT, but I'm afraid of investing more on a high-speed alice pack than I would have spent for an eberlestock or even kifaru. HSGI has some awesome products for alice mods, but once again, for the price I may as well buy something built with integrated technologies.

SoDak
06-29-10, 22:27
I'd like to try one myself and then have my pack modified by TT, but I'm afraid of investing more on a high-speed alice pack than I would have spent for an eberlestock or even kifaru. HSGI has some awesome products for alice mods, but once again, for the price I may as well buy something built with integrated technologies.

I hear ya. What I had originally planned to do was add alice frames to my packs and use the shoulder straps and waist belt from a molle pack after seeing some other people do this. I got my alice packs yesterday however, and I'm not sure that I want to spend that kind of money on them right now. I got 2 mediums for $5 and a large for $7. The large is in great shape with along with one of the mediums with the other medium in pretty decent shape. What's kind of bothered me is that all of them showed some of the threads on the frame yoke(is that what it's called?) giving away. So for now I just got a frame set for the large pack and some woodland straps for the mediums(running them frameless for now I guess).

GroundLabTactical
06-30-10, 00:08
I completely forgot about the Down East Frame.

The best modern option next to a NICE frame from Mystery Ranch.

mkmckinley
06-30-10, 02:10

If you're interested in an ALICE type pack check out the TT MALICE. It's a lot nicer than a modded ALICE and uses better nylon throughout. You can get them pretty cheap if you look around. I've had up to 120lbs in mine with no tearing or visible wear to the seams and I'm no stranger to the rucksack flop which is really hard on frames and bags.

usmcvet
07-07-10, 15:56
http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=back%20pack&Ntk=P_Lot_Title&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=Lot%20Number|0&words=back%20pack&cmd=keyword

You'd have to buy a bunch but the prices are right. Then you have to pick them up or have them shipped.