PDA

View Full Version : Building a rifle vs buying complete - looking for comments

isakhnov
05-31-07, 18:59
I was originally going to buy Bushmaster and then change sights to folding. Based on the responses and couple of rifles I've seen in the local store I had changed my mind.
Someone on the forum suggested that SW M&P15T fits what I was looking for with sights (and it does :) ).
At the same time others suggested just building from parts, going with CMMG and I think there was one mentioning of RRA (both CMMG and RRA hat can also be configured in the desired way).
Building from parts I assume I'm looking at the following items:
- LMT M4 Flattop Upper Receiver w/ 1/7 Twist, Chrome-lined Barrel, and M4 barrel extension. Includes a Gas Tube, A2 Flash Suppressor, LMT Charging Handle and PRI Military Latch.
- Lewis Machine & Tool ( LMT ) Defender Lower with Collapsing Stock
- Rear folding sight
- LMT BCG
and either of
- gas block with folding sights and regular handguard
Above list pushes me around fifteen hundreds if I'm not mistaken while SW is around twelve.
That would be the first rifle for me and I'm wondering what would be the benefits of one setup over the other.
Thanks,
Igor

nationwide
05-31-07, 19:02
Well, off the bat, if you build your own, you won't be paying the 11% Federal Excise Tax that is paid on every complete firearm sold.

Other than that, if you really think you can handle removing a factory FSB and installing some type of folding front sight, you certainly can accomplish a build on your own.

AR-15's are pretty much idiot proof. I should know, I've built several and they all work :eek:

Good luck, and as always, Post Pics ;)

SuicideHz
05-31-07, 19:55
Igor- my advice to most is to build your own but the folding front sight/gas block could be a lot for you to handle right away. It's not hard and you can probably do it. But, the amount you could possibly freak yourself out if you run into a snag could potentially be a lot to deal with!

isakhnov
05-31-07, 23:30
...Other than that, if you really think you can handle removing a factory FSB and installing some type of folding front sight, you certainly can accomplish a build on your own.
I'm not that positive I can remove it :)

isakhnov
05-31-07, 23:32
Igor- my advice to most is to build your own but the folding front sight/gas block could be a lot for you to handle right away. It's not hard and you can probably do it. But, the amount you could possibly freak yourself out if you run into a snag could potentially be a lot to deal with!
I guess I will just get a complete one this time and build one in the future in case I need more (I could not stop on just one handgun at a time):D

fivepointoh
06-01-07, 01:39
How about this. Buy the upper and lower completely assembled but separate. You can even do this from the same company but place them on two separate orders....avoiding the 11% excise tax that nationwide was talking about. They're really easy to build but w/ out the right tools or if you don't know what you're doing it can easily make a guy freak himself out and being second guessing his every move.