PDA

View Full Version : Surefire M900

SW-Shooter
06-23-10, 12:01
I just won a smoking deal on Ebay on a Surefire M900 (w/blue led's). It is a legitimate Surefire in excellent condition and tan in color. I spoke with the seller, a pawn shop and basically said it is like new.

My question is this. Is it a keeper? Would you put it on your HD carbine? I don't have a lot of experience with the VFG style lights. I currently have an Insight WX150 mounted.

telecustom
06-23-10, 12:10
Well, I have and like my M900 alot. It is heavy but really brite. How you position your support hand can make a great difference. If you use the Beer can grip you will be fine. But if you want to grip the foregrip from the side you will not be able to operate the light's controls.

Again, I have one on my HD carbine but have switched to an M300C for my Deployment weapon due to the weight factor.

Iraqgunz
06-23-10, 18:14
They are good lights, though the newer ones are better. I have replaced all of my M900's with either X200/300's or the M952V lights.

Outlander Systems
06-23-10, 19:53
They are good lights, though the newer ones are better. I have replaced all of my M900's with either X200/300's or the M952V lights.

This.

While they are excellent lights, they force-feed you into a chicken-choker grip, and puts more weight on the platform.

Iraqgunz pretty much summed up my POV: while they are a quality piece of kit, they don't do anything an X300 can't, at less than 1/4 of the weight.

SuicideHz
06-23-10, 20:01
Sell it on a board and then buy something that you might be able to use better or more efficiently if it doesn't fit your shooting style.

SW-Shooter
06-23-10, 20:34
I use a grippod and feel it offers my shooting style greater comfort and accuracy. I've tried the newfangled gadgets and holds, the VFG just plain works for me, ergonomics or not I'm a chicken choker. I'm now worried about the the weight.

Victor
06-23-10, 21:09
While I've always liked the M900, the killer for me was the weight penalty. One of my local agencies we work with (I will not give out Dept. names) actually is mandated by their S.O.P. that every carbine must have a "Broom Stick M900." If the officer wants to put another light on his/her gun, it is allowed but the M900 must stay on the gun. :rolleyes: Obviously, because the S.O.P. really means the gun must have a VFG and the M900 just happened to be the one doctrined in many years ago.

Vic

gunnut284
06-23-10, 23:30
My work gun used to have a Surefire rail and a M900. When they were purchased the officer was given the choice between that or a M500. My gun had the rail/M900 option when I got it and I traded that to another officer who had the M500 option. The M900 wasn't bad but the M500 is much lighter and makes a big difference in the handling. As mentioned by others it also limits your hand position in order to activate the light. They are good lights though so if it works for you go for it.