PDA

View Full Version : Body Weight Only Training Program: TacFit

WillBrink
06-23-10, 18:36
If you are looking for a well designed body weight only program, this is an excellent program for general physical preparedness (GPP), burning calories, etc. Yes, the marketing lingo at the site is a bit much, but it's being directed mostly at the general public so ignore the sales hype. The Ed Brown "Special Forces" 1911 has a horrible name, but it's still a great gun... This program is sorta like that.
Regardless, for LEO, Mil, firefighters, and first responders in general, this will make for a productive program and uses bodyweight only exercises.

It's not going to be a program for those focused specifically on muscle mass and strength per se. nor would I give up my sleds, sandbags, TRX Trainer, etc for it, weights, etc but as a BW only program, it's a good one.

The TacFit Commando program is a bodyweight-only program designed to get people into top physical condition. That’s not as hard to do as it sounds. However, getting people into top physical condition, maintaining it, and avoiding injuries, over-use syndromes, and over-training syndromes, is another matter altogether. Many programs will achieve the former, and very few will achieve the latter. TacFit Commando is such a program. It’s not the latest greatest program to jump on the “functional fitness” bandwagon by slapping together a bunch of unrelated exercises, it’s a well thought out well designed program that follows many of the core principles I have been writing about for years. Why do most programs fail in the long run? Here’s why:

They are Linear program designs (lack of Periodization!)

•Lack de-training/de loading periods

•Lack of planned progression

•Lack of specific goals

•Fail to match training to goals

•Fail to track specific goals

Any program that does not incorporate those essential variables, will always fail in the long term, lead to injury, and or a general lack of progress and diminishing returns to effort put in. I’m happy to report, the TacFit Commando program does not suffer from any of the above problems, and approaches those essential variables commendably. This program has been thought through, and incorporates movement patterns and programming that that should yield the results people desire.

As someone who works with athletes, the general public, and tactical law enforcement (e.g., SWAT, etc) I always appreciate a program that follows what I consider the essential core principles of any good program. Not surprisingly, TacFit has a following with various members of the tactical community as well as others who must be “tactically fit” such as first responders from firemen to law enforcement.

I also like how the program differentiates between the common over used marketing term “functional fitness” vs. targeted general physical preparedness (GPP) that is not trying to be all things to all people, but a program many can utilize to get into great overall shape.

This program is for anyone – first responders of all kinds, the general public, etc – who want to use a bodyweight only program to burn calories, greatly improve their strength to bodyweight ratio, build endurance where and when it counts, and avoid over training and injuries in the long run.

The only group I don’t see this being a good fit, are those who are focused primarily on building muscle mass (e.g., bodybuilders) and those primarily focused on absolute strength, such as power lifters, etc.

At the same time, I have recommended all strength athletes incorporate some form of GPP (see my vids and blogs on that topic) and there’s no reason TacFit could not be used for that purpose, but some “tweaking” would need to be done to make it fit into the program of bodybuilders and other strength athletes. For info on TacFit: www.commando-fatloss.com

VMI-MO
06-23-10, 19:29
Just checking, it is $197 for the program, or did I miss something?

ETA $137 for the basic edition.

PJ

duckinthebox
06-23-10, 20:59
Which one did you buy Will? Is it anything compared to militaryathlete.com? I'm all about fitness, but $197 is not a drop in the hat in my budget. I workout 5days a week and I try to keep it work related which is LE. Some of the workouts such as on military athlete are a bit more than what I need but I do them anyway.

VMI-MO
06-23-10, 21:35
Which one did you buy Will? Is it anything compared to militaryathlete.com? I'm all about fitness, but $197 is not a drop in the hat in my budget. I workout 5days a week and I try to keep it work related which is LE. Some of the workouts such as on military athlete are a bit more than what I need but I do them anyway.

Hijack

Try Sealfit. IIRC the head guys from both MA and sealfit work together on some stuff.

Sealfit is very, very similar to MA, and its free.

Also there is a huge document that was floating around this forum that contains a great deal of Crossfit body weight and "stoneage" work outs. If you cant find it, and want it, PM me and I will email it to you.

PJ

WillBrink
06-24-10, 07:03
Which one did you buy Will? Is it anything compared to militaryathlete.com?

Not a BW only program no?

I'm all about fitness, but $197 is not a drop in the hat in my budget.

No doubt. I can say for the $$$ they give a ton of supporting stuff, lots of vids, etc. whether it's "worth it" it relative I suppose.

I workout 5days a week and I try to keep it work related which is LE. Some of the workouts such as on military athlete are a bit more than what I need but I do them anyway.

If you are getting what you need from that program, stick to it. I think the general design, programming, and focus of the tacfit program is solid. Like any program, will have strengths and weakness.

rob_s
06-24-10, 07:20
Is this something that average folks can jump into without already being in shape? and do so without constant input from outside sources?

One of my problems with most of these current-trend of "tactical fitness" programs is that they dump you in as if you're already in great shape, with almost no way of offering solutions for out of shape people to start out. Having body weight only, or limited equipment requirements, is useless if I have to actually go to their facility to get the latest updates or get constant help dumbing down the workouts for my fitness level.

One of the things that I really liked about Body for Life when I was on it was that it was very scalable, without having to get constant consultations. Yes, their exercises were traditional and therefore not up to snuff for a lot of the new generation, and required some amount of equipment, but frankly it was worth it for us to buy a bench and some weights and have at it just to not have to constantly go looking for support. You could start out slow, and scaling was super easy.

ETA:
Just to be clear, I went to the site and I see that they *say* it's scalable, but that's marketing hype, not always reality.

VMI-MO
06-24-10, 07:59
Is this something that average folks can jump into without already being in shape? and do so without constant input from outside sources?

One of my problems with most of these current-trend of "tactical fitness" programs is that they dump you in as if you're already in great shape, with almost no way of offering solutions for out of shape people to start out. Having body weight only, or limited equipment requirements, is useless if I have to actually go to their facility to get the latest updates or get constant help dumbing down the workouts for my fitness level.

One of the things that I really liked about Body for Life when I was on it was that it was very scalable, without having to get constant consultations. Yes, their exercises were traditional and therefore not up to snuff for a lot of the new generation, and required some amount of equipment, but frankly it was worth it for us to buy a bench and some weights and have at it just to not have to constantly go looking for support. You could start out slow, and scaling was super easy.

ETA:
Just to be clear, I went to the site and I see that they *say* it's scalable, but that's marketing hype, not always reality.

IMHO scaling workouts really just comes down to common sense.

You do what you can, listen to your body, check your ego, and dont be stupid.

For example if it calls for 100pushups, go until you feel comfortable with.

I have seen the above approach bring a lot of guys into more complicated programs with very good results because they started out slow and listened to their body. No gym visit required.

As for explaining the exercises, they are all BW exercises. They can only be so advanced.

If you dont know what one is, youtube, google or here will probabley be able to clear it up.

If you want to make sure you are doing it right, hit up a YMCA, IIRC they have workout coaches that ensure proper form etc.

PJ

WillBrink
06-24-10, 08:40

Yes. It's very well structured and laid out for people. I was most impressed with that. I do think the program assumes perhaps at least a minimal fitness level, but it's well structured for people to go at their own pace and ramp up as they proceed.

A fair concern and comment.

Nothing wrong with BFL. I wrote chapter 11 of his previous book and wrote for his magazine for years. What he did was simply take bodybuilding principles and apply them - with some good marketing - to the general public. BFL was/is a perfectly good starting point for people.

ETA:

Most programs like that tend to have a money back type offer (mine do) for people to get a refund if it's not for them. I didn't look, but I would be very surprised if they didn't offer one.

chuckman
06-25-10, 06:57
On the soapbox:
I don't mind paying a trainer, or shelling out some buckage for a piece of equipment, but I do have a little bit of a problem buying a workout 'program'. I have the same problem for spending hundreds of dollars for weight loss and diet programs that, for most people, can be reduced to "eat fewer calories, burn more calories."

I think with all of the info on the web, with all of the resources at the library (do they even have libraries anymore??), with all of the resources at universities, one can learn how to exercise well and safely for next to nothing. Hell...walk, walk, and walk some more...you WILL get in shape.
Off the soapbox

I think this is a good program and has a lot of value, and do agree "is it worth it?" is a relative question.

WillBrink
06-25-10, 09:55
On the soapbox:
I don't mind paying a trainer, or shelling out some buckage for a piece of equipment, but I do have a little bit of a problem buying a workout 'program'. I have the same problem for spending hundreds of dollars for weight loss and diet programs that, for most people, can be reduced to "eat fewer calories, burn more calories."

I think with all of the info on the web, with all of the resources at the library (do they even have libraries anymore??), with all of the resources at universities, one can learn how to exercise well and safely for next to nothing. Hell...walk, walk, and walk some more...you WILL get in shape.
Off the soapbox

I think this is a good program and has a lot of value, and do agree "is it worth it?" is a relative question.

I think you make fair points. If one has the time, interest, etc to do the research, one can set up an effective program for themselves based on free materials. No doubt about that.

At the same time, there's a huge amount of crap out there to wade through, and minus any base line background of knowledge in the topic, a great way to waste years of time and $$$.

I'm putting my spam hat on here, so full disclosure there for this example, but if one spends $50 to save years of wasted time and $$$ on worthless stuff because they followed my programs, clearly worth $50.

Do most people really know how to approach issues, much less understand for example a workout program that is Linear vs correct use Periodization? Or as mentioned above:

•Lack de-training/de loading periods

•Lack of planned progression

•Lack of specific goals

•Fail to match training to goals

•Fail to track specific goals

Not to mention issues of TUT, volume, energy systems, balance, intensity, etc, etc.

I do think most people fail to realize how much knowledge, science, etc can behind a good program, and I can assure you most programs out there, some very popular programs, fail to address those issues.

As for me, I have spent my entire life research nutritional supplements for example, and I give most of that knowledge away for free. Point being, one can get a lot of good free info off the net on shooting, and even more really bad info.

Me, I'd rather pay the $$$ to take a course from Larry Vickers, and others, know I'm getting my advice from the top tier people, and be done with it.

chuckman
06-25-10, 10:10
Will, you have some good points. There is no limit to how much I would spend for a class with Vickers (much to my wife's chagrin and annoyance).

I think there are times and situations when shelling out the dough matters...starting from square one and not knowing what to do, plateau and stagnation, etc. I am not suggesting that there aren't reasons to pay bucks for certain programs; instead, one should look at the programs with a critical eye while thinking about the cost-benefit.

I think that a lot of people pay a lot of money for fitness/nutrition 'programs' who would get more bang for the buck, at least initially, by eating less, exercising more, drinking water, and walking. Then, wade through programs like this and see if it is right for you. On that point I totally agree.

06-26-10, 20:03
Well, here are some vids of the creator of Tacfit doing workouts. I only know about him from Martial Arts circles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be6vO01rgx8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh9T3WSHaFw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7pxpfL7vmk&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab-8n3yt5dk&feature=related

Gutshot John
07-18-10, 10:28
Will

How does Tacfit compare (for good or ill) with other more known programs like P90X?

What about for those just starting to get back into shape?

Both look impressive in their results but I've got a long way to go and I want to make sure I do it right and not get hurt.

Thanks in advance,
John

WillBrink
07-18-10, 10:32
Will

How does Tacfit compare (for good or ill) with other more known programs like P90X?

What about for those just starting to get back into shape?

Both look impressive in their results but I've got a long way to go and I want to make sure I do it right and not get hurt.

Thanks in advance,
John

No comparison. TacFit programs is superior on all fronts with programming, focus on essential areas of fitness/conditioning, etc, attention to injury prevention, etc.

Erik 1
07-18-10, 12:48
If I read the website correctly, the sessions are 20 minutes each and there are "a few" sessions a week, but the program will still get me into top physical condition as well as enhance my functional fitness, joint strength and flexibility, and lessen my likelihood of injuring myself. That's a tall order and sounds a little too good to be true, but if it is true, it sounds perfect for someone, like me, with a tough work schedule. Is all that really accurate? Thanks.

WillBrink
07-18-10, 13:29
If I read the website correctly, the sessions are 20 minutes each and there are "a few" sessions a week, but the program will still get me into top physical condition as well as enhance my functional fitness, joint strength and flexibility, and lessen my likelihood of injuring myself. That's a tall order and sounds a little too good to be true, but if it is true, it sounds perfect for someone, like me, with a tough work schedule. Is all that really accurate? Thanks.

I have yet to hear a single complaint about the program not delivering as promised. It does not meet my personal goals (see comments above on that) but as a bodyweight only program done in minimal time, it's very well thought out. As mentioned, I'm sure they have a refund policy if you think it sucks. :cool:

Erik 1
07-18-10, 13:34
Cool. Thank you.

WillBrink
10-02-11, 17:19

Did you ever follow up on the program Erik? I'd be interested in the feedback there.

Ironman8
10-02-11, 17:57
Will, what do you think about this vs. Stew Smith's "The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness"?

I have done some of the SEAL fitness stuff...which is all bodyweight as well...and liked it. Only hard part was finding the time to do it (on some days) and finding time to get into the pool. It is definitely a program that you have to have some self-discipline and self-motivation to get through...

WillBrink
10-03-11, 12:31
Will, what do you think about this vs. Stew Smith's "The Complete Guide to Navy SEAL Fitness"?

I have done some of the SEAL fitness stuff...which is all bodyweight as well...and liked it. Only hard part was finding the time to do it (on some days) and finding time to get into the pool. It is definitely a program that you have to have some self-discipline and self-motivation to get through...

Have not directly compared the two, but people are generally happy with Stew Smith's programs. My guess is the TacFit programs gives more hands on guidance/help via the tons of vids they have done taking people through the entire program, which helps with motivation and such for those who need it.

Erik 1
10-03-11, 13:59
Did you ever follow up on the program Erik? I'd be interested in the feedback there.

Not yet, but it's still on my list of things I should do...

Dozer
12-10-11, 11:05
Will,

Is the program still available in a physical form? I see the price was lowered but only avialable by downloading.

WillBrink
12-10-11, 11:44
Will,

Is the program still available in a physical form? I see the price was lowered but only avialable by downloading.

As far as I know, it was never available in physical form and has always been an e-product.

Dozer
12-10-11, 16:53
I should have seen that on the website. Seeing DVDs and books on the website threw me for a loop.

WillBrink
12-11-11, 08:35
I should have seen that on the website. Seeing DVDs and books on the website threw me for a loop.

True, it's a visual aid to give people a sense of a "real" product as total e-based products not always easy for people to wrap their mind around I guess. There's a lot of advantages to an all e-based product for both user and seller. All manner of interactivity that can't happen with a disc or print book, etc.