PDA

View Full Version : Colt 11.5" Upper, A1 with shell deflector?

tiger seven
06-01-07, 14:46
Have any of you Colt gurus seen one of these? I found this upper for sale at Fidelis Firearms.

They list it as: "Colt Commando complete upper, 11.5 marked C MP CB. Test fired for function. One A2 upper with 11.5 barrel."

See picture here. (http://www.fidelisfirearms.com/images/colt/ColtCommando.jpg)

In the picture it clearly has A1 sights, but it also has a shell deflector. I can't afford the price they're asking for it, but it's exactly the sort of upper I want for my SBR. I like the simple A1 sights, but I'm a lefty so I need the shell deflector. I was thinking just the other day about how that would be a great set-up, but I didn't think such a thing existed. Is this some super-rare Colt variant? Is there another source for a similar upper: 11.5" lightweight barrel, A1 sights and a shell deflector?

Thanks.

Derek

twodollarbill
06-01-07, 17:10
Derek,

I have Two Colt M-16A2 "Commando's" tucked away and

both have the upper pictured......so to me "that would be right"

I don't know what price "is too much", but anything Colt brings top $$$.

How much is "too much"?........ you only live once!!!!

Bill

tiger seven
06-01-07, 18:17
They want close to $800 for the upper, which is more than I'm willing to pay for it, considering it would be a secondary upper.

Thanks for the reply and the info, though. Somehow, in all my years, I had never seen such a thing. The SBR in question is an LMT with a 10.5" upper. I'd like to have an "old school" Commando-style upper too (mostly just for kicks) but I don't think it's worth $800 to indulge myself. I may explore other options.

Thanks again.

Derek

twodollarbill
06-01-07, 21:10
Derek,

Check out these two auctions on Gunbroker just listed

72965999 & 72960249

Both are "factory" Colt A2 uppers, one is a socom 14.5" HB with a

fair BIN, the other was cut to 13"?????.

I still like the A1 look, but if $800 is what the guy wants???

Everyone has A2 and A3 setups to be proud of, but show up

at the range with an TRUE A1 entry weapon...you get ENVY!!!!

Whatever your choice is...........best not diddle....

There is always someone else with the cash.

Bill

SuicideHz
06-03-07, 02:16
You haven't seen the movie HEAT? I believe that's what DeNiro and one other guy had when robbing the bank in the main scene...

ETA: Wow I'm just in awe at the length of that second one. You did WHAT do that upper!?!?!

Lumpy196
06-03-07, 04:55
They're not that uncommon. I believe the Colt model number for the complete gun was 733.

Ameetec and I believe CMMG had a bunch of these uppers last year. If I recall, they were police trade ins.

tiger seven
06-03-07, 09:12
Thanks guys. I have seen "Heat" (love it) but I'd hadn't noticed the details on their Commandos. I've seen a few Colt shorties here and there, but I had never seen an upper with A1 sights and a shell deflector on any sort of AR. Maybe it's the fact that the prices on those shorties were (at the time) so far beyond me that I never bothered to look closely. It was just too painful. :)

Thanks for the info, Lumpy. I'm going to keep my eyes open for used uppers of that configuration. Maybe I can get lucky and find a good deal. It's at least theoretically possible, I guess. I'll also look around at the Knob Creek shoot in October. There's a chance I might find one there.

Derek

SuicideHz
06-03-07, 13:13
I scored my RO635 for $600 on a LCW pistol lower which I just sold for $125. Deals can be found...