PDA

View Full Version : Hi Point .45's

SOWT
06-01-07, 17:38
Friend of mine received a Hi Point pistol, I am not familiar with the brand, and was wondering if anyone here had any experience with this particular pistol company.

carshooter
06-01-07, 18:19
Do you want me to be honest?

I think they're big, ugly turds. No one who's opinion I truly trust would bet their life on one for defensive purposes. For the same approximate amount of money, I'd take the crappiest looking police trade S&W, Colt, or Ruger revolver I could find.

However, Hipoint's do have a lifetime warranty, and I've met several people who claim they work. Some people's definition of reliability is definately different.

John_Wayne777
06-01-07, 18:21
They make "economical" firearms.....

Which is a polite way of saying poor workmanship and materials.

Hipoints are not known for their reliability or serviceability or long term durability.

That said, there are examples that go bang most of the time.

My suggestion is that your friend rely on a better weapon for self defense.

graffex
06-01-07, 19:07
Run... like... HELL...

k9dpd
06-01-07, 20:30
I saw a useful one, it was tied to a rope keeping a boat at bay.

RAM Engineer
06-01-07, 20:31
They are very similar to those old spring-powered bb-guns. Except not as high quality...

carshooter
06-01-07, 20:53
I saw a useful one, it was tied to a rope keeping a boat at bay.

Nope, they don't weigh quite enough to make a good boat anchor.

However, they make EXCELLENT Wheel chocks when you're working on a car!

Lumpy196
06-01-07, 22:03
Mexico wont take the broken ones to melt down into ashtrays...

mike240
06-01-07, 22:06
Yep they are junk low quality and low price guns. But I have seen a lot of people shot and killed with Hi Points over the years in police work. If you can afford better, buy it. But on the other hand, if that is all you can afford remember the first to rule of a gun fight is to have a gun. Even if it is a Hi Point....

Lumpy196
06-01-07, 22:12
I understand where you're coming from, but the only time I believe in any gun is better than no gun is if I somehow was without one and ended up with a pick-up.

Id search every pawn shop in the land to find myself or my loved one a nice used $150 .38 before I put my trust in a High Point.

Lots of people have been killed by .22s, but Im not going to carry one of those by choice either.

mike240
06-02-07, 02:04
I agree. But it does remind of an argument years ago I had with a lib anti gun coworker who at first said no one should have firearms but the police. Then after further debate, with no real intellect, revised it to no one should have saturday night specials, which he had great difficulty defining but came up with cheap poorly made pistols like jennings and hi points etc. I then revised my assessment of him too. He was not just a lib anti gunner. He was an elitist who felt that law abiding but poor people who could not afford better weapons should be deprived of their right to self defense because they could not afford a Sig or whatever. I was just trying to defend the 2nd Amend. rights of all (and he hated that too!).:D