PDA

View Full Version : Low carb/low sugar alcoholic drinks recipe

WillBrink
06-26-10, 10:14
Even us health/fitness minded types enjoy a good drink now and then, and it’s hard to find one that is not either full of carbs/sugar, or tastes like crap. So, I have been experimenting with a drink that tastes good and keeps the sugars/carbs to a minimum on those occasions I want a drink. Been tweaking it for a while, but I think the recipe if finally done. The ingredients are specific, so no mixing and matching then complain it tastes bad. Recipe goes like so:

2 parts Reyka vodka (it’s from Iceland and the best vodka going)
1 part unsweetened cranberry juice (most have added sugar)
1 part Snapple Diet Ice tea, peach flavor
1 packet of Truvia non caloric sweetener*

Put ice into a shaker, add above ingredients, and shake ’till mixed well, and poor into tall glass. Tastes great, keeps carbs/sugar to a minimum, which also reduces the calorie content also.

What I need for it now, is a name. Help me name this drink!

Try it, I think you’ll like it (assuming you drink alcohol…) and it will save you some carbs/sugar/cals in your diet. Don’t forget, there are no free rides in biology, and the alcohol is a 7 cal per gram sources O cals…

Truvia is not a synthetic sweetener and is made from “natural” ingredients:

www.truvia.com

tampam4
06-26-10, 18:42
Gah, almost perfect timing on this thread. I just got home from visiting family from Iceland up in Kissimmee, and while they didn't bring me Reyka vodka, I got a bottle of Brennivin (Black death)

Hmm, for a name....Reyka tropical (sounds gay, I know) Or the ever popular "Eyjafjallajokull":D

WEC
06-26-10, 19:04
How about Tacticoolaid? ;)

Abraxas
06-26-10, 19:04
Reyka vodka (it’s from Iceland and the best vodka going)
]

I have been saying this for quite some time now

WillBrink
06-27-10, 07:22
How about Tacticoolaid? ;)

I like that!:D

Ned Christiansen
06-27-10, 09:22
Somebody told me the other day they drink Slutty Redheads..... dunno how they're made but I thought it was a cute name.

Tacticoolaid is great. I was trying to work Lo-cal in there somewhere but all I could come up with was maybe too risque.....

A "Loca" in Spanish is a crazy female. Take Lo-cal Aid, super boring name, drop the hyphen and move the second "L" a space to the right: "Loca Laid".

Dos Cylindros
06-27-10, 13:13
I really like Jack (or Crown Royal), plus Diet Coke. 69 cal per ounce of whisky, and obviously zero calories in the diet coke. Low carb, low sugar, good good good.

edweirdo
07-12-10, 20:23
Good vodka, soda, lime. About 70 calories. Plus, I'm starting to buy into the idea that the taste of sweet, i.e. stevia, diet coke, etc. can trigger insulin response even without the actual sugar. Bought a bunch of mini absolut vodkas and found that the berry acai and ruby red (grapefruit) flavors work well in this configuration.

WillBrink
07-13-10, 08:05
Good vodka, soda, lime. About 70 calories. Plus, I'm starting to buy into the idea that the taste of sweet, i.e. stevia, diet coke, etc. can trigger insulin response even without the actual sugar.

You can't really lump all of these together. Stevia for example has been shown to lower blood sugar, etc. Various studies on splenda find no effects on glucose or insulin. Regardless, it's an issue of moderation there. :cool:

tampam4
07-13-10, 22:41
just got in my "glassware" and "collectables" from Iceland. This picture sums up my next 5 or 6 hours:D

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs016.ash2/34179_414646526164_587006164_4636871_952239_n.jpg

PS: If able to, anybody interested in some Reyka Vodka?:cool:

jasonhgross
07-14-10, 08:05
I frequently share a beer with the wife over a good dinner after a workout. Lately its been sam addams variety pack beer, but peroni makes for a good summer beer too.

Hunter Rose
07-14-10, 13:21
Bunch of women.

For a good low-cal drink, try the following:

Take your choice of scotch/bourbon/whiskey, pour in glass, drink. :cool:

edweirdo
07-15-10, 09:40
I drank like a man for a long time and ended up looking like a pregnant hausfrau. So I'm going to try drinking like a woman for a spell. :)

Derek_Connor
07-31-10, 13:28
"Low-Carb" Mojito.

-As much rum as you desire, I usually do a darker (Sailor Jerry's) or Bacardi
-Copious amounts of muddled mint
-copious amounts of muddled limes
-Top of with Club Soda
-NO added sugar.

The extra mint/lime takes away the need for the sugar and gives you are drink that is refreshing, strong, and relatively "healthy".