PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a BORE SCOPE... My Colt M4 has problems...

Rmplstlskn
06-01-07, 23:20
Looking for someone with access to a BORE SCOPE that will examine my Colt M4 barrel, for either free or a fee...

I bought this as a complete carbine a couple of years ago from a respected builder that claimed it had only a few 100 rounds down it. After several trips to the range after buying it, I noticed that there appeared to be a rough surface on the bore just forward of the throat. I initially thought it to be copper deposits, like flakes, from the FMJ ammo, so I cleaned it good. This didn't remove these flaky deposits... Over several months and several range trips, I tried several different bore cleaning products, especially focusing on copper dissolving ones, all with limited results. It is so bad it would even tear up cotton swabs going from muzzle to chamber if it was a tight fit (which is why I thought it to be copper plating). I had gone through so many quality USGI bore brushes and nylon brushes that I finally gave up and thought MORE SHOOTING would eventually smooth it all out. It didn't. My accuracy was good for a 14.5" so I tried to get it out of my mind and just shoot it....

But I can't.... I'm curious to know what the heck is this stuff in my barrel? Is it a chrome-plating problem? Copper? I don't know... I almost thought of getting one of those electrolysis bore cleaners but changed my mind as I have never seen results of those things and do not want to spend $$$ on voodoo.

It is a real Colt M4 so I hate to toss it but I plan on replacing it soon with a Sabre Defence or another of that quality, but this mystery obstruction has me curious... Plus, I'd like to sell it to recoup some on the new barrel cost but I can't sell it in good concience without knowing what the problem is...

But I also don't want to pay big $$$ for a high-tech examination...

So, anyone curious as I am and have a scope? I will pay shipping back and forth, obviously.

Or better yet, any Sabre dealer out there with a scope who will install a new Sabre barrel and take a peak at the Colt during the swap? The new barrel will go in my Colt M4 upper with PRI gas block/sight and Troy FF.

Rmpl

Robb Jensen
06-04-07, 06:03
Unless its effecting velocity and/or accuracy I wouldn't worry about it.

thejh
06-14-07, 14:47
Did you try some JB bore paste?