PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590 Special Purpose

Mojo58
06-02-07, 00:15
My son and I were looking at one of these at the store. We're looking for a shotgun that is inexpensive for training purposes and is fairly reliable. Anyone have experience with this model and can I get some feedback?

Username
06-02-07, 01:19
I've owned 2 manufacturers' pump shotguns. Remington and Mossberg.
I've owned the 500 and 590 from Mossberg, and 870's from Remington.

I prefer the Mossberg safety. Amidextrous and always visible.
The 590 and 500 actions were fairly stiff when operating the actions of the versions I owned. This operation resistance of the action got better with use. The 590 I believe had more steel used in it's construction for increased durability and longevity for military use. I don't believe it was something I noticed while operating the gun. Any increase in weight of the 590 compared to the 500 (for me) went unnoticed.
I recall the large knurled magazine tube cap was easy to manipulate during disassembly for cleaning. My version had a large front site ramp with an orange color. I don't recall if it was a sticker or paint on the ramp. It was great with the ghost-ring rear, and was head and shoulders above the Benelli ghost-ring for sighting and appearance of robustness IMO.

Out of the box the 870 action is pretty smooth. This is what I own now. Both 590 and 870 are pretty easy to recommend.
For training purposes, WalMart I'm assuming still has 870 Express guns for sale on the cheap.

koalorka
06-02-07, 09:07
I've had the 590SP with Ghost Ring sights and it was an excellent shotgun for the money, though I would prefer the steel-reinforced 590A1 model which also features a steel trigger guard and tang safety. Best thing about the 590 is you could attach an AR-15 bayonet to it.

snuffy19608
06-02-07, 15:11
I'm waiting for my 590A1 now, the delivery got pushed back due to inventory. Hopefully by this Thursday- waiting sucks!!

carshooter
06-02-07, 19:07
I've owned four different Mossbergs. (Two 590's and two 500's)

I've owned a whole slew of different 870's, and still have three.

On every Mossberg I owned, the safety broke in half at the screw hole.

FJB
06-03-07, 16:45
We used 590s with steel safetys in Panama that each saw over 3500 rounds per year (3/5 Target loads, 1/5 00B, 1/5 Slug) in training and never had any issues with them during the three years that I was there. If you purchase a 590 vice 590A1 purchase a VangComp Steel safety for it. I'd also VangComp the barrel as well.

I own two 870s personnally, but have no issues with the 590 based on my experience with them in training and during an operational environment.

S/F

ST911
06-03-07, 20:22
I have a number of Mossbergs in service, an assortment of mil-spec 590A1's, 590 "Special Purpose"'s, 590DA, 555 Western Field, and some 500 Mariners. Most were acquired as we replaced aging 870's through attrition, some were odd buys. Standardization with the 590A1 is in progress.

From a maintenance/wear perspective, I've had to replace extractors with some regularity as the guns age. Mag springs need annual replacement, and I'm unhappy with their durability. Especially the 8rd tubes. Extra-power are a good idea. Other parts have held up well. I've not had any concerns over the durability of the plastic trigger group and safety vice the metal. The Scattergun (or equivalent) high-visibility follower is a must have IMHO. On the GRS guns, watch for the mount screws to loosen with harder use. A little loc-tite is necessary.

Bore dimensions seem to vary quite a bit between models, mic their entire length if using LTL or other specialty munitions. The barrels themselves vary as well. The heavy, thick-walled barrel is indeed so, and it feels and performs differently than the lighter weight commercial.

I don't find much advantage to the mariner finish. In the heat of summer and deep freeze of winter, I've not developed and corrosion on any of the mariner guns or park'ed guns. The blued go to crap in a hurry. I've quit buying mariners and blued guns.

Some neighboring agencies use these and others. They have had good luck, and make most of the same observations, depending on intensity of use.

Hope this helps.

Mojo58
06-03-07, 23:26
This is great info guys. It helps me out alot. I'm not a shotgun guy so getting a decent one to start off with will be a good intro for me. Thanks!!! I'll keep checking back for further posts.

Mojo58
06-05-07, 00:51
What is "steel reinforced" on the A1? Other than the "steel reinforced', what if any, are the significant differences between these two models. When I checked the catalog of my local distributor, there is about a $100 difference between these two models. For $100 more, what am I getting?

Robb Jensen
06-05-07, 05:21
I would look for a used Rem 870 Police. You can probably find one for around $300.

Submariner
06-05-07, 17:15

Steel safeties?

Username
06-05-07, 18:27
What is "steel reinforced" on the A1? Other than the "steel reinforced', what if any, are the significant differences between these two models. When I checked the catalog of my local distributor, there is about a $100 difference between these two models. For $100 more, what am I getting?

I believe all 590's have steel receiver housings. The 590A1 I believe is different only in the trigger guard is aluminum. Possibly it's steel instead?

Wikipedia 500/590 (http://http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mossberg_500)

(Wikipedia may not be the best resource for technical information. It's the most credible source I found within 8 pages using my keywords however.)

quoted from Wikipedia..
"The Model 590A1 is a Model 590 with an aluminum trigger guard and safety, and a heavier barrel, intended for military use under the most extreme conditions. The 590A1 is generally sold through military and law enforcement channels, though in most jurisdictions the non-short barrelled versions (see sawn-off shotgun) may be legally purchased by private citizens."

Not exactly a live conference with Mossberg's engineering Dept. :p
Hope it helps though. Enjoy whatever your decision brings!

TOrrock
06-05-07, 18:55
Mossbergs have aluminum receivers.

TOrrock
06-05-07, 19:00

The 590 has a standard sporting weight barrel, plastic safety button and trigger guard.

The 590A1 has a much heavier barrel, steel safety and an aluminum trigger guard.

I've owned Mossbergs in the past, and I like the safety position and the ease of loading, but I sold all mine and settled on an 870 Police, which I believe to be as about bulletproof a pump shotgun as you can get.

carshooter
06-05-07, 23:13
All four of the Mossberg's I owned had plastic safeties. The last one was a 590A1, and for some reason, it had a plastic safety, too. It broke.

I replaced it with a steel safety from Brownells.

I used to shoot and train with my shotguns a lot. After the Mossberg guns got some wear on them, the action began to unlock easier. The recoil of the gun would release the forend so my support hand slammed back into the receiver. Some people must perceive that as a benefit, as Winchester used to advertise the 1300's as "Speed Pumps" with that feature built in.

I may be prejudiced, but in my experience the 870's I've owned have held up better under use. I still have and use the original 20" 870 Wingmaster I purchased used in 1981. There's no bluing left on either the receiver or magazine tube, and I couldn't even begin to count the number of rounds through it, but I'd bet my life on it today.

Mojo58
06-06-07, 13:40
When I was comparing, I was looking for an inexpensive training shotgun and the Mossberg 590 was appealling. I was also looking at the 870 Express because they're in the same price point. The 870 Wingmaster is a considerable jump in price and I understand it to be a reputable shotgun both in reliability and durability but for almost $200 less, I'm thinking the 590A1 would be a worthwhile purchase???

carshooter
06-06-07, 23:14
FWIW, I've had no issues with the 870 Express I own.

300magnum
06-27-07, 11:32
I have a 590 and to be honest, I wish I had gone with the 870. I bought it many years ago before I knew about the little details.

Mine has a plastic (or polymer) trigger housing, I would prefer metal.

The 590 is a little "loosey-goosey" and rattles, the 870s I have seen do not do this.

I have no use for the heat shield.

I DO like the bayo lug. :p

toddackerman
07-23-07, 01:32

+1 That was my experience on two "Mossy's" There are after market safety button out now that are in Steel.

Tack

toddackerman
07-23-07, 01:45
FWIW, I've had no issues with the 870 Express I own.

And you probably won't unless you really abuse it. I've had both the 870 Wingmaster (That was an original Scattergun Technologies Company upgade before Wilson bought them), and a 1999 870 Express, and I have had no problems with either. I shoot them about 50-100 rounds a month for training using Heavy 7 1/2 birdshot, Federal Reduced Recoil 00 Buck Tactical loads, and any Slug I can find cheap. (For real scenarios, I use the Federal 1OZ Tactical Slug.

I may want to upgrade the Sear Spring for more tension, as well as the carrier spring because these are 2 areas suggested by Remingtonthat would be simple and inexpensive to upgrade. You can get the Steel Remington Police trigger/ shell Carrier group unit at Brownells for ~$125 if it helps you sleep at night. I think back and forth about it, but I have guys like Hans Vang telling me it's not necessary unless you are really tough on the gun, and fire lots of "Hot" loads from it.

Tack

sns3guppy
08-05-07, 03:56
http://www.cavalryarms.com/SST-590-S.html