PDA

View Full Version : Convict Conditioning

Pikey
06-27-10, 13:55
I have recently read this book. I know the title is hard to get past. It is a zero to hero body weight guide. The book covers six key exercises; The one arm push-up, one leg squat, one arm pull up, leg raise, the bridge, and the one armed handstand pushup. Each exercise has ten mastery steps all starting out with easy steps that any one can do. For example pull-ups start out with vertical pulls.

The author Paul Wade has spent alot of time in prison. He explains that the only place where hard core calisthenics is still practiced. He also explains why body weight exercise is heathlier then weight lifting.

I have read the "Naked Warrior", this CC is much better because it covers more exercises and starts with exercises that anybody can start out with. It took me along time to get past the title but I am happy I did. I recommond this book to anyone interested in body weight exercise.

7.62X54R
07-06-10, 03:49
Working in the prison system i notice prisoners working out. It sure seems to work. Good thing im not the guards.

Pikey
07-06-10, 19:05
The book does not glamourize prison life. It does bring up that most prisons do not have decent exercise equipment. The author also states that many prisoners choose not to lift wieghts because of all the injury's. After all if you are going to spend the rest of your life in prison just because you have turned 65 does not mean that you do not need to be strong to protect your self.

I work in construction and for every fit body builder I meet I have met 2-3 exbody builders who no longer work out because of a life changing injury. Something to think about.

bsf
07-07-10, 23:04
The book does not glamourize prison life. It does bring up that most prisons do not have decent exercise equipment. The author also states that many prisoners choose not to lift wieghts because of all the injury's. After all if you are going to spend the rest of your life in prison just because you have turned 65 does not mean that you do not need to be strong to protect your self.

I work in construction and for every fit body builder I meet I have met 2-3 exbody builders who no longer work out because of a life changing injury. Something to think about.

I am extremely far from being an expert. That said, I do not think “weight lifting” has to be dangerous like you imply. That being said, circumstances currently have me more interested in bodyweight training exercises.

Pikey
07-08-10, 17:36
I am not an expert, I am a student. I understand not everyone will be interested in body weight exercise, many of my good friends are into lifting weights. But if you are interested in bw exercise then check this book out. For a long time I would not even read the reviews because of the title. I am happy I got past it.

Entropy
07-09-10, 15:44
Weight lifting is one of those things that you can hurt yourself on if you don't do it with some intelligence.

Lifting too heavy, lifting improperly, performing particular exercises that are damaging to joints,......etc. Plus, a lot of body builders get into the adrenaline as a result of the pump, or the weight lifted. Adrenaline clouds the brain and you'll often get careless/reckless if you feed off of it during your exercises.

I think the benefits of weight lifting out-weigh the dangers provided that there is an adequate cerebrum between the ears. I've been lifting heavily over the last 15 years. I have had the occasional injury due to lifing, but nothing that has lasted for any significant amount of time, and I have made full recoveries. Just like anyting else, you master with time, and you adapt with your age. Stay mentally focused and recognize your body's limitations.

I do think that it is an interesting take on mastering ones own body weight. This is an important skill that is very beneficial in defensive situations.

Pikey
07-09-10, 19:04
Weight lifting is one of those things that you can hurt yourself on if you don't do it with some intelligence.

I do think that it is an interesting take on mastering ones own body weight. This is an important skill that is very beneficial in defensive situations.

Also good for bragging rights. How many people can do one armed pull-ups or even push ups.

Bruce Lee blow his back out in the early 70's. The doctors told him he would never practice martial arts again. He used calisthenics to build him self back up. Ofcourse he was doing good morning's when he hurt himself. I don't think any one does them any more?

Tom Swift
07-09-10, 22:58
I dunno how it is down South but I talked to a Corrections Officer up here in Canada they said they don't give them weights anymore. When all you can do is workout you become pretty strong, last thing Corrections Officers wants is inmates who can throw a 35lb weight like a baseball.

Watrdawg
07-10-10, 15:39
I've been working out in the gym since 1976. I've only injured myself once. That was 3 years ago and I pulled a hamsting while squating. I'm in the gym 4-5 days a week. 3 nights a week I also do taekwondo and jujitsu. I think that bodyweight management and weight lifting compliment each other. I'm 47 now and don't see myself quiting the gym anytime soon. I've changed my weight lifting work outs over the years. Mainly to give my body time to recover from the workouts. Without the proper rest and nutrition though you will wear yourself down to a point where injuries will become more prevalent.