PDA

View Full Version : MI#17 Carbine 2 Piece Tactical Handguards

bearstalker
06-27-10, 15:51
Thinking hard about purchasing these off Bravo company's website. Anyone have these? Mind sharing your thoughts? I like the fact that they only weigh 9.9 oz.

ALCOAR
06-27-10, 16:22
I would go with the mcstar-20 instead, only weighs another two oz's. yet you get a free float rail with a continuous top rail. Just my 2cents:)

SMOKEEATERFF
06-28-10, 10:30
I was also looking at the MI rails for a future SBR build. They seem like they are well built and a little cheaper than Troy and DD.

mvician
06-28-10, 11:20
They are really FAT (diameter), especially when you put any type of rail panel on them.

organdonor
06-28-10, 11:54
I'd spend a few $ more and get these: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Daniel-Defense-EZ-CAR-7-0-Rail-Carbine-Handguard-p/dd%205010.htm

Seraph
06-28-10, 12:10
I guess it depends on what you plan to mount on it, but my thinking is, if you're not going for a truly free floated handguard, why not just go with Magpul MOE?

organdonor
06-28-10, 12:57
I guess it depends on what you plan to mount on it, but my thinking is, if you're not going for a truly free floated handguard, why not just go with Magpul MOE?moe handguards are ugly IMO

bearstalker
06-28-10, 16:08
moe handguards are ugly IMO

I agree.

And I just plan on adding a vertical grip and flashlight.

Seraph
06-28-10, 16:43
I agree.

And I just plan on adding a vertical grip and flashlight.

OK, sorry. You mentioned the weight of the MI handguard, so I thought you were concerned with getting a lightweight solution. You can use a VFG and light on MOE handguards, and they're pretty light, but I can totally understand if you don't like the way they look (though I do like them myself).

striped1
06-28-10, 17:04
I have a set. For the money they are good equipment, but I would rather have and will replace them with a Free Floated rail like the daniel defence omega at some point.

Fyrhazzrd
06-29-10, 07:59
I have a set as well. They are light, the fit is tight. And they don't rattle. For what they are, they are an excellent value, but as stated already. My next set would be a DD free Float rail.

roberto232
06-29-10, 09:37
I have one on my Rock River Arms Tactical Entry and I love it. I have a Surefire tac light and Tango Down vertical on it and it works great. It fit tight on my gun and no movement I would recommend totally. I hoping to buy an SBR in the near future and also like many here I’d go with Daniel Defense on that one. If you have the money get the good stuff, if not or want to spend the savings on other AR stuff it’s a good rail, I have nothing bad to say about them.

Pal
06-29-10, 10:42
I have one on my Rock River Arms Tactical Entry and I love it. I have a Surefire tac light and Tango Down vertical on it and it works great. It fit tight on my gun and no movement I would recommend totally. I hoping to buy an SBR in the near future and also like many here I’d go with Daniel Defense on that one. If you have the money get the good stuff, if not or want to spend the savings on other AR stuff it’s a good rail, I have nothing bad to say about them.

Were you saying you have the MOE or the MI 17?

roberto232
06-29-10, 10:59
The MI 17....

gunny
07-09-10, 09:54
I've owned four sets. Two sets had out of spec rails out of the four. MI has earned a rep for putting out non-spec parts from time to time but they will take care of immediately if you experience such issues with your parts. Just something to be aware of. More to the point...If you are looking at the #17 then you should seriously consider the DD EZ-CAR rail for about $20 more. It's a better & lighter rail without a doubt.

GoinDeep
07-09-10, 17:21
I have a set of MCTAR-20P Forearms and I am happy with them. MI does have some quality control issues from time to time, but if you contact Troy he will fix you up asap.

Col_Crocs
07-09-10, 19:26
If looking for a non-ff and are simply looking for something light, Id go for the MOE handguard. I know youve mentioned that you dont like how it looks but aesthetics aside, it is very ergonomic. Would work well with just a handstop IMHO.
As for the MI rail, it is kinda fat but Ive handled one in the past and it actually gave it fuller grip which I liked. Downside is, it is that very same fat dimension that limits your choice of panels and fore grips IMHO.
I suggest you save a bit more cash and just do for the DD Omega.
FF, drop in, great quality, is light enough and being on the slim side, does not limit your grip style, panel and fore grip options.

Quib
07-09-10, 19:39
Take a look at the KAC RAS 2nd's. Grant should have them as well as direct from KAC.