PDA

View Full Version : Colt 6721LE...... Hottie or ????

jaygee
06-27-10, 22:03
Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with the quality of this massive Colt Tactical Cannon - ah, oops, Carbine.
No, my question here is how is this piece perceived in the hive mind over here at this most enlightened of
all AR sites. I got mine in a trade some time back, and initially had little use for it, but....with a few changes
she became one of my favorites in the harem! I must say that weight was an issue as was balance, but with
the balance corrected, the weight was much less noticeable. She is one accurate beast, for sure!

ALCOAR
06-27-10, 22:16
hottie

LOKNLOD
06-27-10, 22:34
Well, there's certainly nothing wrong with the quality of this massive Colt Tactical Cannon - ah, oops, Carbine.
No, my question here is how is this piece perceived in the hive mind over here at this most enlightened of
all AR sites. I got mine in a trade some time back, and initially had little use for it, but....with a few changes
she became one of my favorites in the harem! I must say that weight was an issue as was balance, but with
the balance corrected, the weight was much less noticeable. She is one accurate beast, for sure!

Best I can tell by a quick set of searches, the 6721 is a flattop with a 16" 1:9 heavy barrel, correct? LINK (https://policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_236&products_id=5638&osCsid=38a20thehkngqu3h30ktmkhf96)

If so, then I'm sure most will agree it's a perfectly serviceable carbine, but that the 1:9 is limiting in that it may exclude some of the heavier grain loads that are top performers, and the heavy barrel is less than ideal in the carbine format. The weight penalty outweighs (ugh, no pun intended) any perceived benefit of the heavy profile for most of us.

You mention changes; I think any further discussion about how good it is would be lacking if you didn't detail what changes you made, why, and what, if any, issues they corrected. I see something about the balance in your post...did you put on a heavier stock? Replace/reprofile the barrel? Start working out? ;)

I will ultimately have to get one myself, and I consider the 6721 the perfect colt specimen imho.
I always liked the flat top on the 6920 and 6720, however I LOVE the 6520 pencil profiled L.W. barrel......so obviously when colt produced a m4 flattop receiver barreled with the 6520 l.w. barrel, I felt it was magic:)

Trident, are you referring to the AR720 that Clyde Armory has introduced? The flattop w/ pencil barrel? LINK (https://policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_236&products_id=6615&osCsid=38a20thehkngqu3h30ktmkhf96)

ALCOAR
06-28-10, 00:53
Best I can tell by a quick set of searches, the 6721 is a flattop with a 16" 1:9 heavy barrel, correct? LINK (https://policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_236&products_id=5638&osCsid=38a20thehkngqu3h30ktmkhf96)

If so, then I'm sure most will agree it's a perfectly serviceable carbine, but that the 1:9 is limiting in that it may exclude some of the heavier grain loads that are top performers, and the heavy barrel is less than ideal in the carbine format. The weight penalty outweighs (ugh, no pun intended) any perceived benefit of the heavy profile for most of us.

You mention changes; I think any further discussion about how good it is would be lacking if you didn't detail what changes you made, why, and what, if any, issues they corrected. I see something about the balance in your post...did you put on a heavier stock? Replace/reprofile the barrel? Start working out? ;)

Trident, are you referring to the AR720 that Clyde Armory has introduced? The flattop w/ pencil barrel? LINK (https://policeguns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=16_236&products_id=6615&osCsid=38a20thehkngqu3h30ktmkhf96)

Yeah that is what I thought he was referring to for some reason.....brain fart i guess:)

Seraph
06-28-10, 12:04
Looks like it should be a good carbine, but I think "hottie" would be a bit exuberant.

Stickman
06-28-10, 12:53
The 6721 is a fat girl with a nice personality. Its reliable, but no fun carrying on a regular basis. :D

jaygee
06-28-10, 13:42
She's a hottie in western Pa. for sure! Replaced the Lily Po slider and carbine handguards with M4 handies
and the butt with an A2 unit with all the rifle goodies inside. MIAD grip makes her fun to hold on to, and
the carry handle has been semi permanently fastened on with my patented knob removing hardware
upgrade. The butt contains a cleaning kit and the MIAD, an M14 oiler and spare key and cam pin. She is
definately heavier than stock, but is so well balanced that you just don't "feel" the weight...until you've
carried her around all day! I'm getting really tight groups, even with 75 grn. loads, so no complaints in
that dept. I may add a UBR in place of the A2 in the near future, altho I'm told it won't affect the weight
much, if any. For a carry piece, she will never be a 6520LE, but then, that's what 6520s are for. :)

emfourbinator
06-28-10, 13:49
Well, Gee....you hit the nail right on the head! Colt's tactical CANNON. OTOH, if this upper was placed on
an M4A1 lower, along with a thicker gas tube, you'd have a pretty decent SAW! My 6721 doesn't get
as much use as it used to, thanks to Mark Westrom's marvelous invention...the Middie!

Safetyhit
06-28-10, 17:14
Well, Gee....you hit the nail right on the head! Colt's tactical CANNON.

It's essentially a 6920 with a heavy barrel. Let's not get carried away, shall we?

I should also add that I had one a few years ago and would take another in a heartbeat. ;)

sjohnny
06-29-10, 08:53
It's essentially a 6920 with a heavy barrel.

Heavy, slower twist, barrel.

Frens
06-29-10, 13:17
I like mine.
the HBAR is a good way not to mount tacticool crap :D and the twist wont be a problem if all you do is plinking using 55gr ammo

ST911
06-29-10, 18:35
I like mine.
the HBAR is a good way not to mount tacticool crap :D and the twist wont be a problem if all you do is plinking using 55gr ammo

Some 6721s are doing just fine with ~75gr ammo. It's a suboptimal choice for a heavy round, but not unserviceable. How much so depends on what's being done with the combo.

Safetyhit
06-29-10, 18:52
Heavy, slower twist, barrel.

Yes, a whopping 1" x 9". Hardly makes it either a cannon nor an abomination.

OH58D
06-29-10, 19:16
How is this thing different than the limited edition 6920 with the SOCOM Heavy barrel I bought from Specialized Armament in Arizona three years ago? This was a limited run of 300....... Does the 6721 use the same barrel but includes a rail system?

OH58D

jaygee
06-29-10, 21:02
6721LE has a true HBAR, 1/9". The SOCOM is actually a medium contour, plus it has cuts for a '203,
so the 16" SOCOM would have to be lighter. The two Carbines both use M4 hand guards, not rails.
My 6721LE is doing just fine with 75 grn. loads....and has done so for several years now. :)

ST911
06-29-10, 21:21
How is this thing different than the limited edition 6920 with the SOCOM Heavy barrel I bought from Specialized Armament in Arizona three years ago? This was a limited run of 300....... Does the 6721 use the same barrel but includes a rail system?

OH58D

6920, inc SOCOM HBAR = 1/7
6721 = 1/9

Railed upper only, from the factory.

scottryan
06-29-10, 22:20
Should be dropped from their product line.