PDA

View Full Version : How free is your state?

rickrock305
06-27-10, 23:33
Thought this was an interesting study.

Of note, it seems that the increased percentage of democrat votes correlates with less freedoms.

http://mercatus.org/sites/default/files/publication/Freedom_in_the_50_States.pdf

RancidSumo
06-27-10, 23:35
A link to the study might be useful...

rickrock305
06-27-10, 23:43
yea, that would help wouldn't it...

John_Wayne777
06-28-10, 06:51
Yes, states that don't give unions monopolies, don't have absurd liability laws, and that don't generally make it their business to take an ever larger cut of every dollar that changes hands tend to have more economic freedom than states who do.

That really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

Abraxas
06-28-10, 07:25
Glad to see my home state is not too bad

ForTehNguyen
06-28-10, 07:45
Texas: #7 economical #5 personal, #5 overall

GermanSynergy
06-28-10, 08:55
Big surprise about Maryland.....:rolleyes:

Alex V
06-28-10, 08:56
hahahaha

NJ is 49th overall... I can move anywhere as long as its not New York and it would be an improvement!

Interestingly enough, My family moved from NY to NJ about 14 years ago. At this rate I will live in a normal state in about 560 years hahahahaha

I hate my life...

GermanSynergy
06-28-10, 09:05
hahahaha

NJ is 49th overall... I can move anywhere as long as its not New York and it would be an improvement!

Interestingly enough, My family moved from NY to NJ about 14 years ago. At this rate I will live in a normal state in about 560 years hahahahaha

I hate my life...

How does NJ compare to the CCCP?

Heartland Hawk
06-28-10, 09:30
My state consistently ranked in top 10; except personal freedom:mad:
I would debate that though. overall #3!:p

PrivateCitizen
06-28-10, 09:36
God bless Idaho!

Doh, just missed the bronze …

Alex V
06-28-10, 09:38
How does NJ compare to the CCCP?

LOL

I was 8 years old when I left the Soviet Union so I can't give you an exact comparison. But it seems to be only marginaly better lol.

Soviet Union had less income tax, and no sales tax because as all products are made by the government, they get all the proffits so no need for one lol. And since we did not own property there was no property tax. [Rented apartment from the government like everyone else in a major city.]

My Uncle had to wait on a list for 10+ years to buy a car

You could only own long guns and even then only if you had property in rural areas which was near to imposible for the avarage person.

At least here I can go buy a car anytime and buy a handgun once a month after waiting a month for a paper that says I can.

Its bad, but not as bad lol. Though that does not say much.

RancidSumo
06-28-10, 12:53
I'm moving from number 15 to number 2 in two month.

Jer
06-28-10, 13:16
Colorado #2!

Not bad for a state that houses 'The People's Republic of Boulder' :D

I bet if we invaded that crap hole and took it back for the state we'd be #1 all day long. :cool:

RancidSumo
06-28-10, 13:17
Colorado #2!

Not bad for a state that houses 'The People's Republic of Boulder' :D

I bet if we invaded that crap hole and took it back for the state we'd be #1 all day long. :cool:

Where do I sign up? I doubt it would be very hard.

Spiffums
06-28-10, 18:26
Tenn isn't too bad.

Magic_Salad0892
06-29-10, 03:14
Hm... Number 27...

I might need to move. :(

I can live with it...

arizonaranchman
07-05-10, 19:40
The states do vary quite a bit. But unfortunately as a nation we're under hostile enemy occupation and we're steadily headed towards what will eventually become the most comprehensive high-tech dictatorship the world has ever known. If we do not stop this ASAP there will probably be no recovering from it during our lifetimes.

PRGGodfather
07-05-10, 20:35
California: 44, 46, 48 and 37. Couldn't even be in the top half for personal freedoms, even with all the dope smokers.

Numbers sound like the measurements for a really ugly fat chick.

SteyrAUG
07-06-10, 01:05
Something doesn't sound right when states where you can't own NFA stuff and they don't have "shall issue" CCWs are ranked higher than FL.

:confused:

Obviously their criteria for personal freedom may differ from mine.

HES
07-06-10, 09:55
Something doesn't sound right when states where you can't own NFA stuff and they don't have "shall issue" CCWs are ranked higher than FL.

:confused:

Obviously their criteria for personal freedom may differ from mine.
Agreed. My wife wants us to move to TN or AL once we get the insurance pay off for the house. Im thinking of sticking to here or TX. Is there a source that compares the firearms laws of each state with out requiring a law degree to decipher the state statutes?