PDA

View Full Version : Logistics of bringing an AR to CA for family shooting fun

crhoades
06-28-10, 00:08
I'm heading out to CA soon to see family. Brother-in-law and father in law would both like to be able to shoot my AR. What can i do to make it happen?

Getting it there:
I'm thinking the easiest way is hard shell case checked on an airplane. Any other ways?

Can i bring 30 rnd mags or would i have to buy 10 rnd CA-legal mags?

Or no matter what it is a no-no.

Thanks for your help!

Iraqgunz
06-28-10, 00:20
I may be wrong, but unless it is compliant with the Kalifornia Assault Weapons Laws you may have some issues.

I'm heading out to CA soon to see family. Brother-in-law and father in law would both like to be able to shoot my AR. What can i do to make it happen?

Getting it there:
I'm thinking the easiest way is hard shell case checked on an airplane. Any other ways?

Can i bring 30 rnd mags or would i have to buy 10 rnd CA-legal mags?

Or no matter what it is a no-no.

Thanks for your help!

Alex V
06-28-10, 09:17
I may be wrong, but unless it is compliant with the Kalifornia Assault Weapons Laws you may have some issues.

+1

Im pretty sure unless it has a bullet button and all the other shinanangans... I would just stay clear.

This is why sometimes its not bad to be in a state like NJ. When I visit my friends in NC, anything I have is no problem lol.

decodeddiesel
06-28-10, 11:25
Mind you I am not a lawyer, nor did I stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, however I have been researching the CA gun laws rather extensively given my wife's family currently resides there (OC).

I would create an account and post your question at calguns.net. Lots of good people there stuck behind enemy lines who can answer your question a lot better than I can.

I believe that so long as the weapon is not an SBR, you can install a "bullet button" (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=46802) on the weapon and you are able retain all of the evil features (flash hider, bayonet lug, collapsible stock, pistol grip, etc.) and have the weapon still be legal.

You absolutely cannot bring 30 round magazines with you, you need to bring 10 round mags into the state. Also for the sake of legitimacy you should keep an empty 10 round mag "locked" into the weapon at all times as technically it is supposed to be "non-detachable" without the use of a "tool". Yeah, it's ****ing stupid as hell but hopefully that might change a little given the recent McDonald ruling.

Hope this helps.

ETA: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Rider79
06-28-10, 15:49
What can i do to make it happen?

Have them meet you in Nevada.

Seriously though, I think it was posted on here elsewhere, the only way you can bring your AR into the state in its current configuration is for a training class or match with the correct documentation.

Littlelebowski
06-28-10, 15:52
Don't do it. Seriously.